Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2021, 06:53 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,270,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I suspect you are joshing, but I would ask what is there that could replace the ubiquitous invisible God as the monitor of otherwise unmonitored human action?
If you're honest, you'll admit that there have been a number of posts and threads where christians have said that all morality is based on god/the bible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2021, 07:36 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,047,381 times
Quote:
I suspect you are joshing, but I would ask what is there that could replace the ubiquitous invisible God as the monitor of otherwise unmonitored human action?
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
If you're honest, you'll admit that there have been a number of posts and threads where christians have said that all morality is based on god/the bible.
I agree. But as ineffective and unreliable as it is, belief in God does curb the unmonitored behavior of a lot of people. My question was if belief in God was eliminated along with the elimination of religion, what societal mechanism could replace the curb on unmonitored behavior that God represents?

Old 10-04-2021, 08:00 PM

10,529 posts, read 6,158,785 times
Quote:
I agree. But as ineffective and unreliable as it is, belief in God does curb the unmonitored behavior of a lot of people. My question was if belief in God was eliminated along with the elimination of religion, what societal mechanism could replace the curb on unmonitored behavior that God represents?
Mystic you are on an atheist forum here.
I doubt any of us go around murdering people.
I've never even taken drugs apart from alcohol.

1. There's your own personal sense of right and wrong. Most people know what's right and what's wrong because wrong makes you uncomfortable. Simple. There's also the innate golden rule. In other words, empathy. Treat others as you wish to be treated.

2. If all else fails there's the law to stop you committing horrible acts

3. I don't see religion being a barrier of anything at all. The Catholic priesthood abused children for centuries. Their apparent godliness didn't seem to stop them. If anything the enforced chasisty probably exacerbated the situation.
I have no evidence for this but I'm betting if you did a study of who is in prison, it wouldn't be full of atheists. It would proportional to the rest of the populatiion: full of people from all religions.

Old 10-04-2021, 08:13 PM

37,131 posts, read 42,193,480 times
I really don't pay attention to religion until it starts to intrude on me and society. No I'm NOT going to get used to or appreciate the Muslim call to prayer over loudspeakers. No I'm NOT going to be happy if public schools start discussing religion of any sort (teachers are not in a position to do anything like that well even if they themselves are "religious"), I don't want any special accomodations for religious ritual or whatnot anywhere non religious people exist (ie: workplace, schools, public buildings). Basically I don't want to see it or hear it ourside a church or place of worship. I'm not against the idea of religion, but when people want to LIVE their religion and subject everyone else to it, and all it's associated trappings, I'm going to push back. It needs to be kept private even if true believers think that flies in the fact of what they are being told to do in whatever texts or sermons they injest.

Old 10-04-2021, 08:13 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,248,594 times
No, I don't even think it's possible. Religion is like the nightly news in a way. People need a framework for understanding their lives. Most people, and I include myself in this group, don't have the time and energy to research and experiment to figure out what's what. So we rely on trusted authorities to tell us what's what.

It would be inefficient to have everyone repeating the same experiments, physical and thought, to figure out how the world works. We can save a lot of time and energy if we delegate epistemology to trusted authorities, who then report their findings back to us.

This can obviously be abused, and has been for most of the time and for most of the people.

I think the proper project for atheists, if there is such a thing, is devising institutional arrangements to mitigate the abuse of those entrusted with "reality parsing".

But getting rid of religion? Impossible and inefficient.

Old 10-04-2021, 08:26 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,047,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Mystic you are on an atheist forum here.
I doubt any of us go around murdering people.
I've never even taken drugs apart from alcohol.

1. There's your own personal sense of right and wrong. Most people know what's right and what's wrong because wrong makes you uncomfortable. Simple. There's also the innate golden rule. In other words, empathy. Treat others as you wish to be treated.

2. If all else fails there's the law to stop you committing horrible acts

3. I don't see religion being a barrier of anything at all. The Catholic priesthood abused children for centuries. Their apparent godliness didn't seem to stop them. If anything the enforced chasisty probably exacerbated the situation.
I have no evidence for this but I'm betting if you did a study of who is in prison, it wouldn't be full of atheists. It would proportional to the rest of the population: full of people from all religions.
I don't disagree with you, Cruithne. I have no statistics to back up my intuition, but I suspect the vast majority of those who are already atheists (and NOT criminals) are within the upper half of the normal distribution and comprised of normal, intelligent, decent, rational, law-abiding people. I suspect that the majority of those who are not atheists in the lower half of the distribution (and are NOT criminals) are religious and it plays a significant role in constraining their behaviors. It is those I was referring to.

Old 10-04-2021, 09:30 PM

22,152 posts, read 19,203,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I really don't pay attention to religion until it starts to intrude on me and society. No I'm NOT going to get used to or appreciate the Muslim call to prayer over loudspeakers. No I'm NOT going to be happy if public schools start discussing religion of any sort (teachers are not in a position to do anything like that well even if they themselves are "religious"), I don't want any special accomodations for religious ritual or whatnot anywhere non religious people exist (ie: workplace, schools, public buildings). Basically I don't want to see it or hear it ourside a church or place of worship. I'm not against the idea of religion, but when people want to LIVE their religion and subject everyone else to it, and all it's associated trappings, I'm going to push back. It needs to be kept private even if true believers think that flies in the fact of what they are being told to do in whatever texts or sermons they injest.
bold above
sort of like telling gay people it's Ok to be gay as long as you yourself "don't have to see or hear them at all in public" "it's ok to be gay just keep it private" "it's OK to be gay just act straight in public"

sounds like that's what the post above is saying. so you don't ever have to see it. or hear it.

Old 10-04-2021, 10:15 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,270,853 times
Quote:
Law and justice.

Old 10-05-2021, 12:02 AM

16,768 posts, read 4,971,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubleshooter View Post
What is wrong with fundamentalism??? It is just a requirement that the Scriptures be taken literally.
9/11 and the Berlin Christmas Market attack is what is wrong with fundamentalism. Creationism is what is wrong with fundamentalism. Killing people because your god must have made them gay is what is wrong with fundamentalism.

Quote:
Those who hate fundamentalism want scriptures to not be literal so they can disobey them.
So you do not eat bacon and have given all your money away? It is in your scripture.

Quote:
Note that some people (especially Muslim) say they are fundamentalist when they are actually disobeying the religion or obeying just a small part.
So you have stopped eating bacon, and you have given all your money away.

Quote:
Science and religion do not contradict each other, ...
It does if you take scripture literally.

Old 10-05-2021, 12:07 AM

16,768 posts, read 4,971,895 times
Quote:
Our evolved sense of morality and logic based on why we are moral creatures, or punishment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism