Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 08:39 AM

1,506 posts, read 4,279,341 times

Advertisements

I'm angry with Atlacoya, the goddess of drought. For some reason she has chosen to bestow her "blessing" of almost no rain here for like nine months. If she keeps this up, then I am going to stop believing in her out of spite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2008, 09:14 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,429,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
The notion that somebody would declare themself an atheist just because they are mad at the deity they worship is ridiculous.
Yes but thats what SOME christians have to believe in order to invalidate being an atheist.

I have talked to people who believe in god, jesus and the holy spirit and I can tell you, I have NEVER felt that way. I have tried because I was raised in that kind of family, but I can't MAKE myself feel what I don't feel.

Old 06-15-2008, 09:50 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,446,746 times
While for me anger is just too negative an emotion, and one on which I choose not to expend energy, I have encountered people who will make comments like that, that Deb asked to explore here.

Folks who are mad at God because he made such-and-such happen, or gave someone an illness, or who has forsaken a whole people, do not seem uncommon. Elie Wiesel expresses it himself in his autobiographical Night, the account of being in Auschwitz during WWII. But, it seems to me, too, that to be angry at God, or at a god, would mean a belief at some level, in such a being.

I don't think one could equate being an atheist with being angry at God, or a god(s). Seems to me it would negate the proclaiming one is an atheist. I wonder if it would be better to ask, if one became an atheist because he/she felt forsaken by God, and so denounced a faith in such a being?

Old 06-15-2008, 09:57 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,429,938 times
I remember when my Father had a heart attack, he then had to be hospitilized for a month and then have a bypass and then he died after a couple weeks in a recovery hospital.

My Mother who is a christian asked why did god allow this too happen. I told her that I didn't believe this was about god at all. I felt that my Fathers heart condition had not been well taken care of, it was a condition he had for some years but had not had regular testing to keep up with it. I'm not saying my Father intentionally wanted to die either but it has to be said that the people in my family aren't good at taking care of themselves AND my Father was the kind to think he was fine no matter what was going on.

Old 06-15-2008, 05:37 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,169,978 times
Are you really a Christian...or are you just mad at the other 3000+ deities worshipped on this planet?

Old 06-16-2008, 01:48 AM

3,306 posts, read 4,154,073 times
I mad that god didn't give me super powers.

Old 06-16-2008, 07:05 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,325,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb in VA View Post
or just mad at God?....Discuss
I wouldn't really say mad at god... but most religions just don't cut it for me. As I mentioned in another thread, religions more often that not, allow people to passively do absolutely nothing to better humanity.

Old 06-16-2008, 08:23 PM

2,358 posts, read 5,981,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatis View Post
I wouldn't really say mad at god... but most religions just don't cut it for me. As I mentioned in another thread, religions more often that not, allow people to passively do absolutely nothing to better humanity.
Similarly, I do not believe in God so I can't be mad at him. However I AM mad at religions that cause wars to be faught, innocent people to die, and hatred to foment (on top of doing nothing to better humanity.) It's not God I blame; it's the believers blinded by their fervent faith who I blame. And it's not just Christians - it's people of any religion who think they are the only ones who are right. That's what makes me angry.

Old 06-17-2008, 05:49 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,353,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb in VA View Post
or just mad at God?....Discuss
I am not sure how to get angry at something that is not real. I see it as being angry at the Easter bunny, or the tooth fairy.
The issue I think you are looking for is the frustration from the non religious toward the efforts of the religious right to convert everyone and everything they see to their belief.
My feelings there is not anger or being mad, I am just offended at the rudeness of that pushy individual.

Old 06-17-2008, 06:37 AM

9,912 posts, read 13,898,898 times
Sure I get mad at God when things are bad, but then I get mad at the universe and doctors and illness and death and whomever or whatever else I feel is deserving of my wrath at the time. Anger's not rational like that you know? It's just a process. A reaction. It doesn't stop me being an athiest, it just means I'm angry at the situation I find myself in so if I need to shake my fist at something or someone or even a mythical creature or a rock in order to release the anger, so be it.

I've been known to "thank" god too on occasion. It kinda goes something along the lines of, "if you're up there, thank you" but I'm quite sure that's just a learned behaviour based on being around believers all my life. It's not like I'm expecting an answer or to be struck down either for that matter.

Oh and for the record I can distinctly remember being extremely cross with the Easter Bunny as a kid for bringing the wrong egg!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism