Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 04:06 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,680,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
An old saying, "You might be an Indian male if your woman's footprints are all over your back."
LOL...my ancestors should have used that same saying! A Norse woman could own land, and could divorce her husband simply by gathering some witnesses and declaring that she was divorcing him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2009, 06:26 PM

1,301 posts, read 2,109,930 times
If a man is crazy enough to want more than one wife, that's his problem. Go ahead and go for it. It might be a good idea not let one particular part of his body do all his thinking for him, though. He should consider what those other 23 hours and 55 minutes out of his day are gonna be like.

Old 10-06-2009, 06:40 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,620,342 times
I was out of town having a brain transplant so I didn't have time to read all of the posts but here's what I think. I'm ok with what consenting adult want to do (if only I could find a consulting adult that wants to do what I want) but I digress. The major problem I have is the children of the consenting adults who are not going to be raised like other kids and are very likely to find themselves in circumstances in which they will be secluded from the rest of society and live in an isolated community in which it is highly likely that they will reach an age when some old man will want to take advantage of them. I really do have a problem with that. This seems to be very common among polygamist communities. I honestly think it would be more fair if adults who are attracted to this lifestyle didn't have children because it puts them into a position as they're growing up in which they don't date, have friends, and enjoy all of the social interactions that most young people take for granted. So the bottom line for me is the concern for their children and the fact that they will probably be pressured to join this lifestyle without understanding what other alternatives exist.

Old 10-06-2009, 06:42 PM

33,527 posts, read 37,128,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncracer View Post
This may be natures way of slowing or reducing the population of humans. We sure seem to have more than we can take care of.
Not nature at all, but man's chemical age...Another effect the chemicals are having on males is testicular problems, such as cancer and lower testosterone levels and a decrease in penis size. These chemicals are in the air, water, our food, containers we use, our appliances, cars, furniture, etc. They are everywhere and we cannot avoid them.

Old 10-06-2009, 07:11 PM

4 posts, read 4,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I was out of town having a brain transplant so I didn't have time to read all of the posts but here's what I think. I'm ok with what consenting adult want to do (if only I could find a consulting adult that wants to do what I want) but I digress. The major problem I have is the children of the consenting adults who are not going to be raised like other kids and are very likely to find themselves in circumstances in which they will be secluded from the rest of society and live in an isolated community in which it is highly likely that they will reach an age when some old man will want to take advantage of them. I really do have a problem with that. This seems to be very common among polygamist communities. I honestly think it would be more fair if adults who are attracted to this lifestyle didn't have children because it puts them into a position as they're growing up in which they don't date, have friends, and enjoy all of the social interactions that most young people take for granted. So the bottom line for me is the concern for their children and the fact that they will probably be pressured to join this lifestyle without understanding what other alternatives exist.
I think you have a good point with regards to the children of some, if not many, polygamist communities. However, I can attest to the fact that it can be different than that. We have no specific religious affiliation, we've all dated before, we'd all had other sexual partners before. We have friends outside of the relationship, too, just like "regular" couples. Our children will be encouraged to lead whatever lives they are comfortable with, poly, mono, heterosexual, homosexual. Like the children of same sex couples, divorced couples, children who live with relatives other than parents, foster children, and adopted children, they will have to deal with a different set of circumstances and questions from people. We'll support them and arm them with the knowledge they need to confront those situations and be proud of their family.

Old 10-06-2009, 07:14 PM

4 posts, read 4,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
If you're happy and your husband and your wife are happy, that's what counts.
It is so nice to "see" tolerance and hear a kind word. Thank you for taking the time.

Old 10-06-2009, 07:24 PM

691 posts, read 2,328,576 times
I have known several people who are in polygamous marriages, my own Great Grandmother was the daughter of a polygamist. In Southern Utah, the issue has been, older men marrying much younger, women, that is wrong to me.

To me, there are so many problems with polygamy, that to write it all down would take volumes. Most of it is entwined with religious doctrine.

However, on a purely non-religous point of view, if consenting adults want to do this, go ahead. I would not participate in something like that though. I could not deal with the drama of another relationship, the relationship you have with your spouse, and then with each of the wives, and the kids, and on and on...drama X10 forget about it .

Old 10-06-2009, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by achickenchaser View Post
If a man is crazy enough to want more than one wife, that's his problem. Go ahead and go for it. It might be a good idea not let one particular part of his body do all his thinking for him, though. He should consider what those other 23 hours and 55 minutes out of his day are gonna be like.
Who said anything about a guy with two wives? I want two husbands, damn it.

Old 10-06-2009, 09:22 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,395,538 times
not at all. breaking your own (not someone else's) core values is very wrong and will make you stay up posting 24/7 trying to get some support on it.

Old 10-06-2009, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I honestly think it would be more fair if adults who are attracted to this lifestyle didn't have children because it puts them into a position as they're growing up in which they don't date, have friends, and enjoy all of the social interactions that most young people take for granted. So the bottom line for me is the concern for their children and the fact that they will probably be pressured to join this lifestyle without understanding what other alternatives exist.
The same arguments are made when denying gay couples their rights too, though. I think we all agree that marrying young girls off to older men is not right, but when there is a triple like lillierose's situation, where all three people are fully consenting adults who are happy with the situation, I don't see any issues with it. And I don't think children raised in a loving home with loving parents are going to be hurt by having a third parent any more than I think a child being raised by loving gay parents is going to suffer from that situation either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism