Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 02:19 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,179,640 times

Advertisements

Boxcar Overkill: Right. I also liked "kickin' and a-gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer".

effie: Huh? Who were you referring to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2009, 02:24 PM

4,511 posts, read 7,518,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Boxcar Overkill: Right. I also liked "kickin' and a-gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer".

effie: Huh? Who were you referring to?

don't take me out of context..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHmGV...om=PL&index=44

Old 04-11-2009, 03:33 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,978,684 times
Country music speaks to people where they live. The vast majority has a very simple Christian faith.......it is very ingrained in them and is impossible to separate from other aspects of their life. By and large most country music fans are also very patriotic and very supportive of our troops. for the most part, they like God, Guns, and Nascar.....not necessarily in that order.

Quote:
If I Was Jesus, I’d come back from the dead
And I’d walk on some water, just to mess with your head--Toby Keith

Old 04-11-2009, 03:53 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,620,342 times
effie wrote:
Quote:
btw. what does "country" mean?
"Country" music is just short for "country and western" which doesn't make alot of sense to me. The origins of country and western music are not in the west, they're in the South, particularly in Tennessee where I live. Nashville is considered to be the capitol of country music and this is where alot of the stars live and record their music. I guess the word "country" refers to rural areas as opposed to cities because that's where alot of the folk music that turned into country music originated.

Old 04-11-2009, 11:06 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,179,640 times
I think the "western" was added on so as to include such people as Bob Wills ("Western Swing") and Marty Robbins (cowboy ballads). Those styles hasn't stayed as popular as "country". I find them interesting.

effie: I liked that song "Country Man" OK. But I don't know what 'context' you were referring to. Oh, well, doesn't really matter. No use in making a federal case out of it!

Old 04-12-2009, 04:43 AM

52 posts, read 87,559 times
I find it refreshing. Though I do agree that some of it has to do with attacks on Christianity, I also think it is good that there is a group of people out there putting out songs that are considered "politically incorrect" because the mention Christ or God or anything to do with be a Christian. George Strait put out a sond long ago about about God having the nerve to create the world, long before it was "cool" to have such a song out. Brooks and Dunn have done the same. And it is nice that they were willing to go against what some people consider imposing on their freedom of religion. It is my personal belief that they are voicing not only their freedom of religion, but also their freedom of speech. By telling them not to record such songs wouldn't their rights be violated?

Old 04-12-2009, 07:19 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,258,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahv View Post
I find it refreshing. Though I do agree that some of it has to do with attacks on Christianity, I also think it is good that there is a group of people out there putting out songs that are considered "politically incorrect" because the mention Christ or God or anything to do with be a Christian. George Strait put out a sond long ago about about God having the nerve to create the world, long before it was "cool" to have such a song out. Brooks and Dunn have done the same. And it is nice that they were willing to go against what some people consider imposing on their freedom of religion. It is my personal belief that they are voicing not only their freedom of religion, but also their freedom of speech. By telling them not to record such songs wouldn't their rights be violated?
It isn't surprising that a christian would find these to be a good thing. Nobody was saying they should not be allowed to sing about whatever they like. We were just discussing that there seemed to be an uptick in that genre. Several of us opined that this was one of several reasons we don't much like the genre. I vote with my dollars to not support it. That is my right.

Old 04-12-2009, 08:14 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,978,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
The origins of country and western music are not in the west........
Tell that to Willie, Waylon, Garth, Toby, George Strait, Chris LeDoux, Michael Martin Murphy, Jerry Jeff Walker, Ray Wilie Hubbard, Red Steagal, Billy Joe Shaver, Cross Canadian Ragweed, Red Dirt Rangers, or David Allen Coe.............

Old 04-12-2009, 08:35 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,258,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
Tell that to Willie, Waylon, Garth, Toby, George Strait, Chris LeDoux, Michael Martin Murphy, Jerry Jeff Walker, Ray Wilie Hubbard, Red Steagal, Billy Joe Shaver, Cross Canadian Ragweed, Red Dirt Rangers, or David Allen Coe.............
Some of us don't consider east of the Mississippi to be west. It is debatable if you can really call the plains west.

American Western music is cowboy music which is largely a glamorized version of the cowboy life created in the early parts of the 20th century for commercial sale. The Country music of today is a commercial product with its base in Nashville. It is really more of a southern commercial music product. It bears little resemblance to real folk music - that is the music that grew up in the US created by people for their own entertainment and not as a commercial endeavor.

Old 04-12-2009, 09:02 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,620,342 times
I went to the Country Music Hall of Fame here in Nashville several months ago and in one of the exhibits it said that the roots of country music have a strong influence of English folk music from immigrants who moved to the South and that it gradually developed into the old fashioned country music that we've become familiar with. The people that Goodpasture mentioned I believe are mostly from modern times although I'm not familiar with all of the names. I was referring to it's origins which go way back to the 1920's in Tennessee. It did branch out to places like Texas and Oklahoma in the 1930's and 1940's and became widely popular after that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism