Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 03:23 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,933,140 times

Advertisements

It's entirely possible not everyone finds the same things funny.

Far-fetched I know... but possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 03:25 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,685,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaye02 View Post
I have a license to drive, know how to drive, and I'm not 7 years old, big difference. But go ahead and praise dangerous and reckless behavior. And people wonder what's wrong with kids these days, geezz
Lighten up Francis.

Old 07-31-2009, 03:34 PM

985 posts, read 2,601,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Lighten up Francis.

I'll "lighten up" when you understand that just because something fits in with you atheism it doesn't automatically mean it's a good or admirable thing. If it were reversed and the parent was atheist and the child took the car to go to church would you think it was funny? No, chances are, you'd be saying what I'm saying now.

Old 07-31-2009, 03:48 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,933,140 times
I think anyone is seriously arguing it was good and admirable. Just funny.

Old 07-31-2009, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaye02 View Post
I'll "lighten up" when you understand that just because something fits in with you atheism it doesn't automatically mean it's a good or admirable thing. If it were reversed and the parent was atheist and the child took the car to go to church would you think it was funny? No, chances are, you'd be saying what I'm saying now.
I'm an atheist, yet I allowed my children to attend church with my mother-in-law whenever they wished. Cast aspersions on someone else, why don't you? This whole thread was meant to be humorous, more's the pity that you have a stunted sense of humor and can't grok that fact.

Do I REALLY think the kid is a budding atheist? I have no clue, and I don't really care. Now toddle off and worry about something that's actually important.

Old 07-31-2009, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarmig View Post
I think anyone is seriously arguing it was good and admirable. Just funny.
Exactly! But some people are just natural sourpusses and don't think anything is funny.

Old 07-31-2009, 05:06 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,920,995 times
Default So, A Christian walks into a bar...

Kaye, it's a very hot Friday afternoon, and soon I will be making up a few Key Lime martinis and kicking back with my wife in the shade. When the late afternoon breezes start pouring down from the still-snowy peaks of the Pacific Cascade Mountains, we'll toast each other and those in this world who work to make it a better place for beast and man [note the reversal of priority. I mean, someone's gotta get it right for a change...].

As an proud atheist, (i.e.: proud of having saved myself from the eternal fires of damnation that the Christian Church represented to me) I, and apparently a few others here, found this boy's enterprise and bravery and determination admirable.

We all (I deign to speak for many, but please, guys, reprimand me if I'm essentially wrong) have had life- enlightening experiences that freed us of what we all felt was a yoke of academic suppression, indoctrination and rote chanting, and endless bowing to yet another false god.

So, this boy struck a cord in us that was at once humorous, daring and, well darn it, effective! Yes, it was also a little dangerous, as is the use of cell phones in cars (you ever [I mean EVER?] do that?). Or perhaps drive a bit too fast on icy roads, or over the speed limit? Or, horrors, after you'd inadvertently had a little drinky-poo? Or when you're sleepy?

Heavens! But then, you may also have a plastic Jesus on your dashboard. Salvation to true believers, huh?

Back here on earth, it's a different story, frankly. As an ex-automotive engineer, I have investigated a few accidents for my employers in order to provide expert commentary on what may have happened.

I can assure you that a whole lot of adult drivers who assume their driving is impeccable are quite delusional. and, on a regulat basis, quite unsafe.

The danger this kid presented in his short drive is overshadowed by the sheer b@llsyness of his "heroic" and daring escape from what may have, in fact, been a far more damaging experience than driving a car down the road at an average speed of, probably, 5 or 10 mph, with a brief sprint up to 40 in a straight line.

So, I'd say, in honor of having a pleasant and relaxing Friday afternoon,

...get over it!

(and simultaneously, correct the conclusion that most of us have reached [and you didn't exactly help in this regard], that Christians, in general, have no sense of humor if it's even a little bit at their expense.

Unlike we atheists, who are quite used to being the brunt of a lot of jokes.)

Old 08-01-2009, 06:35 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,746,461 times

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism