Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2009, 04:41 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,864,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt & Light View Post
In other words, you have no empirical evidence to support your opinion.
I do find it interesting that a christer wants others to have empirical evidence to support opinion, but has none to support their own
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 05:03 AM

257 posts, read 407,790 times
Neither atheism or theism is a foolish position. There's nothing wrong with not believing in a higher power, and there's nothing wrong with believing in a higher power. Though I would be theist more than anything (for the mere fact anything exists at all) there's still nothing wrong with atheism though. In fact, the only fool would be the one claiming the other is a fool.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:35 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LZKay1 View Post
Neither atheism or theism is a foolish position. There's nothing wrong with not believing in a higher power, and there's nothing wrong with believing in a higher power. Though I would be theist more than anything (for the mere fact anything exists at all) there's still nothing wrong with atheism though. In fact, the only fool would be the one claiming the other is a fool.
That's a very reasonable position and I approve it to a certain extent, but it does rather rely on the apparent assumption that there is no evidence either way and one 'believing' is as good as the other. In fact, logic, reason and the evaluation of evidence according to the scientific method is, or should be, the basis for what we believe, or don't.

On that basis, not - believing in the claims of any religion is more in accordance with those parameters.

Old 08-24-2009, 06:20 PM

63,817 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
That's a very reasonable position and I approve it to a certain extent, but it does rather rely on the apparent assumption that there is no evidence either way and one 'believing' is as good as the other. In fact, logic, reason and the evaluation of evidence according to the scientific method is, or should be, the basis for what we believe, or don't.

On that basis, not - believing in the claims of any religion is more in accordance with those parameters.
That is an excellent rationale for an "A-Religionist" . . . but not for an Athiest. It conveniently refuses to allow for personal experiencing . . . that cannot be shared through scientific method . . . but which can be more than enough to swing the balance between the two positions.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:58 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,864,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rejoicer View Post

That doesn't mean He doesn't exist, just because you choose not to believe.

Actually I choose not to believe because there is no reason to believe the myth that he did exist. And, just because you believe, does not mean it is real. Trolls are real.

Old 08-24-2009, 10:37 PM

178 posts, read 184,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
If your god is what you claim he is, he wouldn't need to be asked. He would WANT to do it.
Meaning, give you whatever you ask for?

Wouldn't that make Him your slave?

Old 08-24-2009, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
But the writers of the bible are part of that group of people who say things that you have to just believe on faith. You are cherry-picking the bible over other teachings, and why? because the bible says so. But the bible was written by people who said so. So you believe because people told you, essentially.
So you have read some non-fiction books where the authors told you they were not telling the truth? Your statement is baseless. Every author of a non-fiction will imply they are telling the truth. It is up to the reader to either agree with it or not. I happen to agree with the writers of the Bible, you do not.

Quote:
A few things in the bible coincide with historical evidence. But a lot of it does not. But yet you think that those couple of things that are historically accurate prove the whole bible to be true? Homer's Odyssey has a lot of historical fact, but you don't believe in the mythological creatures too do you?
That isn't the only reason that I think the Bible is true. You wouldn't understand because you are not a Christian. You are blind to the scriptures.

2 Cor. 4:4

The god of this age has blinded the minds of unbelievers, so that they cannot see the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God.

Quote:
I have read it, and much of it is ridiculous and absurd. Have you read the old testament?
Like the Bible says, you are blinded to the truth. I told you before, not only have I read the Bible, I have studied it, both Old and New Testaments.

Quote:
Oh ok, through other people who aren't god. I see. Thanks for proving my point.
Well of course, God doesn't come down and talk to people face to face. So what point did I prove? That God talks to his Children through other people that aren't God?

Quote:
I don't believe either, I am just showing how it is hypocritical to believe one thing just because it says it is true, and not believe another thing that also says it is true.
Oh, let me see, you don't believe the Bible because it says it is true, and you don't believe the Quran because it says it is true. So, you only believe that which tells you it isn't true? Oh, I get it.

Quote:
So you don't believe Moses did everything in accordance with what God commanded?
Please quote my post where I said that.

Quote:
How about the other prophets and god's-chosen in the old testament?
What about them?

Quote:
What about when Jesus said it was better for a slave to obey its abusive master than rebel,
It doesn't say "abusive", but a believer will obey what Jesus tells him to do. Even if you have an abusive master, Jesus can change the situation for His children.

Col 3:22Slaves,[a] obey(A) in everything those who are your earthly masters,[b] not by way of eye-service, as people-pleasers, but with sincerity of heart, fearing the Lord.

Quote:
or that women have no right to have an open opinion about religion?

I think you made that one up - please show me where it says that in the Bible.

Old 08-24-2009, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Actually I choose not to believe because there is no reason to believe the myth that he did exist. And, just because you believe, does not mean it is real. Trolls are real.
You choose not to believe because you believe that they are myths, but you have no proof of that.

Someday you will find out that it wasn't just because I believed that it was real. It is real because God says it is real. That you don't believe doesn't change a thing.

And yes, I know you are real.

Old 08-24-2009, 11:13 PM

33,545 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rejoicer View Post
You choose not to believe because you believe that they are myths, but you have no proof of that.

Someday you will find out that it wasn't just because I believed that it was real. It is real because God says it is real. That you don't believe doesn't change a thing.

And yes, I know you are real.
Isn't that rather circular? The myth is real because the myth says it's real....

Old 08-24-2009, 11:16 PM

1,317 posts, read 2,056,042 times
Quote:
2 Cor. 4:4

The god of this age has blinded the minds of unbelievers, so that they cannot see the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God.
So if we are blind, why are you here bothering us?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism