Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2009, 10:13 AM

2,339 posts, read 4,403,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
I actually like not spending time with God. There is absolutely nothing about the description of him that makes me want to spend time with him, even if he was real. I mean, it would be neat at first to see if he was going to do any magic tricks. But I wouldn't want to sit around all day worshiping him. That would be boring and suck.

Honestly, if I had to spend eternity worshiping somebody else, it would be a hell to me.

That about sums it up for me to. I used to sit in church and think the same thing when they'd be preaching on enternity being spent worshiping day and night night and day....ugh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 05:41 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,923,337 times
Default Cats and Dogs

The basic personalities of your run-of-the-mill common atheist versus your standard god-fearing Christian is rather like the difference between cats and dogs, to my mind.

Cats are somewhat arrogant in their affections, their aloofness and their self-confidence. They have attended the courses on life's little mysteries, and learned well from them. They are therefore not afraid of knowlege and it's application. After all, they can fend for themselves, find, stalk and kill their own food, bury their own waste, select the best house to live in, and generally get along, realizing their place in this world, and where the warmest lap or spot by the stove is.

Domestic dogs, on the other hand, are entirely dependant on some greater master for everything. They know it, and they suck up to it. They pant, sit, roll over or bark on demand, their tails happily wagging incessantly to prove to their master their endless, blind loyalty. They come when called, and answer to simple commands with a minimum of training. They also must be cleaned up after and generally restrained by some sort of leash or kennel.

Of course, they are easily upset by a cat, who walks calmly by, knowing full well the length of the dog's leash, and that their very presence drives the dog half out of it's mind.

If dogs had their way, everyone would be a dog along with them, and they'd all bay at the moon in happy, sucky unison. In fact, in feral dog packs, if you don't go along with the pack rules, they will viciously turn on you.

Cats would just yawn and go find a nice meal and appreciative human to stroke and cuddle them. They are supremely confident, but with good reason. They snear at the feeding-frenzy mentality that dogs require just to get along in life.

To the OP: Cats are no fools. They're just good atheists!

There. How's that for a working metaphorical definition?

Last edited by rifleman; 08-13-2009 at 06:20 PM.. Reason: typoz

Old 08-13-2009, 07:50 PM

1,385 posts, read 2,455,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
The basic personalities of your run-of-the-mill common atheist versus your standard god-fearing Christian is rather like the difference between cats and dogs, to my mind.

Cats are somewhat arrogant in their affections, their aloofness and their self-confidence. They have attended the courses on life's little mysteries, and learned well from them. They are therefore not afraid of knowlege and it's application. After all, they can fend for themselves, find, stalk and kill their own food, bury their own waste, select the best house to live in, and generally get along, realizing their place in this world, and where the warmest lap or spot by the stove is.

Domestic dogs, on the other hand, are entirely dependant on some greater master for everything. They know it, and they suck up to it. They pant, sit, roll over or bark on demand, their tails happily wagging incessantly to prove to their master their endless, blind loyalty. They come when called, and answer to simple commands with a minimum of training. They also must be cleaned up after and generally restrained by some sort of leash or kennel.

Of course, they are easily upset by a cat, who walks calmly by, knowing full well the length of the dog's leash, and that their very presence drives the dog half out of it's mind.

If dogs had their way, everyone would be a dog along with them, and they'd all bay at the moon in happy, sucky unison. In fact, in feral dog packs, if you don't go along with the pack rules, they will viciously turn on you.

Cats would just yawn and go find a nice meal and appreciative human to stroke and cuddle them. They are supremely confident, but with good reason. They snear at the feeding-frenzy mentality that dogs require just to get along in life.

I love it! What an interesting analogy.
My only comment is then, why am I a dog person? I like cats just fine, but I am crazy about my dogs.
Does that mean that I like to be worshipped?

Old 08-13-2009, 11:25 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,923,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzly Friddle View Post
My only comment is then, why am I a dog person? I like cats just fine, but I am crazy about my dogs.
Nope; it's just an analogy. Spiritually, you're a cat; as in: nobody's fool. You just appreciate those helpless doggies, and know they need your love.

(When I was exploring alone in the Arctic, I dreamt of having an Alaskan husky by my side. I'd have brought him up, philosophically, to be independant.)

Have a good night, Sizzly!

Old 08-14-2009, 01:01 AM

1,553 posts, read 1,836,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
The fact that we believe in cause and effect in everything else in the universe...except the creation of said universe is the issue.

Until you can give a reasonable answer for what caused the universe to exist, then the reasonable, logical response would be that a creator caused it.

Absolutely true.

But will such group of atheists agree to any logic here?

I have some notes here:

1- The denial of the atheists of this truth, proves it is only a matter of guidance of God, and they will not believe unless God guides them.

2- It is obvious that many atheists here work in a sort of group work.

3- It is very astonishing why do such atheists work in such zeal, as if someone is stirring and instigating them (this is Satan and his devils by their suggestions - although they deny it.)

This is in the Quran 22: 3-4
وَمِنَ النَّاسِ مَن يُجَادِلُ فِي اللَّهِ بِغَيْرِ عِلْمٍ وَيَتَّبِعُ كُلَّ شَيْطَانٍ مَّرِيدٍ . كُتِبَ عَلَيْهِ أَنَّهُ مَن تَوَلَّاهُ فَأَنَّهُ يُضِلُّهُ وَيَهْدِيهِ إِلَى عَذَابِ السَّعِيرِ

The explanation:
(And yet there are among men some who dispute about God, without knowledge, and follow every malicious devil [impostor and cunning person];

About such [devil: cunning impostor person] it is decreed that whoever turns to him for friendship, he will mislead and will guide him to the chastisement of the Blaze [: Hell.])
---------------------------------------

And I seek protection of God from their fate in Hell, if they keep up on their atheism.

Man after Death

Old 08-14-2009, 01:13 AM

33,559 posts, read 37,160,046 times
It's not the poor dog's fault...We have turned them from this

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v331/pugbug/animals/wolf4.jpg (broken link)

To this....My pug...

Whereas cats have not been bred so far from the original...

Black foot wild cat..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v331/pugbug/animals/Fembirdfeed.jpg (broken link)

My cat, Barclay..

A great example of man messing around with evolution...

Old 08-14-2009, 02:06 AM

1,553 posts, read 1,836,568 times
Therefore, the diversity of animals and plants: they attribute to evolution, not to God's creating all that.

And they took their evolution to be their idea, on which they based their
doctrines and their fate in relation to God's existence and the existence of the afterlife!

I say to them: have you seen this evolution yourself? I mean: have you seen the species evolving before your eyes from species to another as do they claim?

Of course they have not seen such an evolution before their eyes, but only throught their imagination: then how do they dare and take the adventure of denying God and denying the afterlife; because in the afterlife: the atheist, the disbeliever and the associater will certainly lose.

Moreover, in case a man is doubtful about the existence of God (although God is the Existing and the Creator and the Absolute Truth); I say: in case such a man is doubtful about God, or let us say: he is certain about that: then what makes him work with zeal to contradict God: let this atheist ask himself.

So it is very obvious the case of the atheist is complete loss and failure.

See also, dear reader, when we tell such atheist: there is marvelous creatures of plants, animals, atoms, solar system and galaxies --- he says: this is the marvelous things you are clinging to.

If we tell him there is design in the universe --- he says this is the argument from design.

If we say to him: God is the Creator, he says: Who created God? and if we tell him: God is the Ultimate end of all makers, and so there is only One Maker, he will refuse.

Therefore, man should beware, lest they should drag him to drown him with them.

Man after Death

Old 08-14-2009, 02:50 AM

1,301 posts, read 2,111,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eanassir View Post
Therefore, the diversity of animals and plants: they attribute to evolution, not to God's creating all that.

And they took their evolution to be their idea, on which they based their
doctrines and their fate in relation to God's existence and the existence of the afterlife!

I say to them: have you seen this evolution yourself? I mean: have you seen the species evolving before your eyes from species to another as do they claim?

Of course they have not seen such an evolution before their eyes, but only throught their imagination: then how do they dare and take the adventure of denying God and denying the afterlife; because in the afterlife: the atheist, the disbeliever and the associater will certainly lose.

Moreover, in case a man is doubtful about the existence of God (although God is the Existing and the Creator and the Absolute Truth); I say: in case such a man is doubtful about God, or let us say: he is certain about that: then what makes him work with zeal to contradict God: let this atheist ask himself.

So it is very obvious the case of the atheist is complete loss and failure
Oh goody, here we go again Let me know when man's life expectancy gets to around 5000-10,000 years. Hell, we can't even get the 120 your book of fables promises.

Since we're in hell's den right now, I may as well cut loose a little: The only thing that is a failure is grown men who can't grow up and face reality without believeing in a bunch of childish nonsense.

Is there a handbook out there you all read from or something?

Yes, the almighty imaginary God; the one that created every thing, is all-powerful, all-knowing, but....but for some strange reason, these days, he can't even cure a damn cold. Makes perfect sense!!!

Want more proof God is imaginary? I can pray to God and one of those cats or dogs in the pics above and get the same results! Maybe that's a sacred cat, or, maybe, just maybe, God ain't real.

Take a guess at which is the correct answer: a)scared cat, b)no God.

Old 08-14-2009, 02:59 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post

That's really good.

Another analogy might be chalk and cheese, superficially, they look similar but one can actually be eaten without deleterious effect, though the strong taste means that some who prefer less stringent comestibles can't face it. Chalk on the other hand is useless for such purposes, but can be used in building churches, if you mix it with plenty of cement.

But I much prefer yours.

Old 08-14-2009, 03:05 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzly Friddle View Post
Nope. It's just something that dogs feel they have to do. It can get annoying at times and you have to slap them on the nose. They blink and then come back fawning again. And they can hurl themselves snapping and snarling at the 'other' dogs, when you'd much rather they didn't. And then they come back bitten and blood - smeared and act like they've done something praiseworthy. Yep. The analogy holds up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism