Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 12:30 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,680,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Waa, Waa, Waa . . . I live in America a nation founded by religious puritans . . . Waa, Waa, Waa . . . so we have these awful National Holidays with religious origins (like the country) . . . Waa, Waa, Waaaaa!!! When are we going to change our history and get rid of these horrid religious origins?
You don't have to. But the rest of us who don't believe in your myth of choice shouldn't have to have our children indoctrinated with it at PUBLIC school. Teach your kids what you want about religion in your own home; it doesn't belong in our schools. You want it taught in your kid's school, then pay to send their little butts to a parochial school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2009, 12:54 PM

37,131 posts, read 42,196,846 times
Actually none of that stuff bothers me too much. Kids, especially those in the Bible Belt, are going to be exposed to this and should have an understanding of it and how to deal with it whether they believe it or not. Things such as pligrims praying ARE TRUE, we can't pretend our country and the people in it aren't acting on their beliefs when studying history. Fortunately this stuff has very little influence over our childen, mine don't even remember what their elementary school mascot was (a bear). Unless someone is actively trying to convert, or making kids sit through or participate in worship, it's not that big a deal to me. In fact I suspect that stuff does more to turn people from religion than draw them too it. My own kids wern't raised to believe anything and when they got to school and friends started talking to them about god or inviting him to church they went and listened. My son realized they made no sense and never bothered with it. My daughter converted and got baptised and struggled with it all before realizing it didn't make sense, and now is a non believer again. What a journey. And I didn't do anything.

Old 11-21-2009, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Actually none of that stuff bothers me too much. Kids, especially those in the Bible Belt, are going to be exposed to this and should have an understanding of it and how to deal with it whether they believe it or not. Things such as pligrims praying ARE TRUE, we can't pretend our country and the people in it aren't acting on their beliefs when studying history. Fortunately this stuff has very little influence over our childen, mine don't even remember what their elementary school mascot was (a bear). Unless someone is actively trying to convert, or making kids sit through or participate in worship, it's not that big a deal to me. In fact I suspect that stuff does more to turn people from religion than draw them too it. My own kids wern't raised to believe anything and when they got to school and friends started talking to them about god or inviting him to church they went and listened. My son realized they made no sense and never bothered with it. My daughter converted and got baptised and struggled with it all before realizing it didn't make sense, and now is a non believer again. What a journey. And I didn't do anything.
Just because someone lives in the bible belt does not mean that they have to keep quiet and put up with things like the OP. Wrong will never be righted until someone stands up and has the balls to complain about the injustice.

Old 11-21-2009, 01:14 PM

783 posts, read 1,326,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
You don't have to. But the rest of us who don't believe in your myth of choice shouldn't have to have our children indoctrinated with it at PUBLIC school. Teach your kids what you want about religion in your own home; it doesn't belong in our schools. You want it taught in your kid's school, then pay to send their little butts to a parochial school.
History outside a cultural context denies both truth and heritage.

Why must Christians pay for both public and private school? Why doesn’t your suggestion encompass people of all beliefs? You could say; If you don’t want your children taught accurately there are other options you may choose.

Old 11-21-2009, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt & Light View Post

Why must Christians pay for both public and private school? Why doesn’t your suggestion encompass people of all beliefs? You could say; If you don’t want your children taught accurately there are other options you may choose.
Christians don't have to pay for both public and private schools. All you have to do is teach your religion to your kids in YOUR HOME. Not in our public schools, which are attended by children from far more belief systems and non-belief systems than just xianity. If you want your religion presented as "truth" in public schools, ALL RELIGIONS AND BELIEF SYSTEMS must also be taught as being true and real. Otherwise it's unbalanced and unfair.

So, fine. We'll teach your brand of mysticism in public schools. But we're going to teach YOUR children that all the other religions and non-religions are also "Truth", including Atheism, Buddhism, Islam, Hinduism, Judaism, Satanism, Catholicism, Mormonism, Taoism, Voodoun, et cetera et cetera. It's only fair, after all that if my child is being forced to pray to your Moderator cut: deleted xian god, that your child should be forced to pray to Allah, Krishna, Satan, Yahweh, all the Catholic saints, etc.

Last edited by june 7th; 11-23-2009 at 08:10 PM..

Old 11-21-2009, 01:31 PM

1,088 posts, read 2,195,710 times
Quote:

Last time I checked.. there's nothing historical about praying turkeys.

Old 11-21-2009, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spotted1 View Post
Last time I checked.. there's nothing historical about praying turkeys.
"As god is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly!"

Old 11-21-2009, 03:27 PM

783 posts, read 1,326,301 times
Quote:
Christians don't have to pay for both public and private schools.
Where does funding for public schools come from? Are you implying that Christians don’t have to pay taxes? Everyone continues to pay tax regardless of whether they attend public or private school or even if they have children enrolled in public school. I have a hunch you are a bit disconnected from the realities of the issue.

Quote:
So, fine. We'll teach your brand of mysticism in public schools. But we're going to teach YOUR children that all the other religions and non-religions are also "Truth", including Atheism, Buddhism, Islam, Hinduism, Judaism, Satanism, Catholicism, Mormonism, Taoism, Voodoun, et cetera et cetera. It's only fair, after all that if my child is being forced to pray to your xian god, that your child should be forced to pray to Allah, Krishna, Satan, Yahweh, all the Catholic saints, etc.
My friend I’m not sure where you are at but I’m fairly confident, from this and other comments you have made, that you do not have children in school. If you do, you are most likely among the 73% of parents that are disconnected from their kids’ education because the purpose of school is to simply baby sit.

Our kids have had healthy doses of most of those religions you list including Greek and Roman mythology. Again you can’t rightly understand history without knowing what shapes the views of the people within the culture. Like it or not, peoples' belief system, or faith, is fundamental in shaping their culture.

Old 11-21-2009, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Where does funding for public schools come from? Are you implying that Christians don’t have to pay taxes? Everyone continues to pay tax regardless of whether they attend public or private school or even if they have children enrolled in public school. I have a hunch you are a bit disconnected from the realities of the issue.
That's not what I meant and you know it. Surely you're not that dense? Christians can CHOOSE not to send their children to private schools. If they do CHOOSE to send their children to private schools, you're in the very same tax boat that the rest of us who CHOOSE to send our kids to private school -- we still pay taxes for public schools because it's for the overall good of our society that our children be educated. Do you grok that? Probably not, but whatever.

Quote:
My friend I’m not sure where you are at but I’m fairly confident, from this and other comments you have made, that you do not have children in school.
I'm not your 'friend', so I'll thank you to cease being presumptuous and calling me that. Do I have children in school right at this moment? No. But I have children and they went through the public school system, and then on through college, which I paid for.

Quote:
If you do, you are most likely among the 73% of parents that are disconnected from their kids’ education because the purpose of school is to simply baby sit.
Nice personal attack, and baseless assumption about how I raised my children. It's none of your business, but I was a full time stay at home mother until both of my children were in school, and after that I adjusted my work schedule so that I could be with them when they got home. Satisfied? Again, probably not, but whatever.

Quote:
Our kids have had healthy doses of most of those religions you list including Greek and Roman mythology.
They are not being presented to your children as TRUTH. THAT is the difference. Your dogma is being presented to children in public schools as TRUTH and reality. That is clearly biased and unfair.

Quote:
Again you can’t rightly understand history without knowing what shapes the views of the people within the culture. Like it or not, peoples' belief system, or faith, is fundamental in shaping their culture.
That doesn't mean it has to be presented as Truth and reality. Religious history belongs in a comparative religions class in high school or college, not in general classes in elementary school. Teach your children about your god and your prayer in your own home, not in public schools funded by the tax dollars of many religions aside from Moderator cut: deleted My guess is if your child was in public school and being taught to pray to Satan or Allah or Krishna or Ra or Zeus or Kali instead of your Jesus, you'd be having a hissy fit just about now.

But you go ahead with your bad self and stay up on that religious soapbox.

Last edited by june 7th; 11-23-2009 at 08:12 PM..

Old 11-21-2009, 04:09 PM

33,527 posts, read 37,128,036 times
I owe you a rep point Merc!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism