Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 04:59 PM

2,437 posts, read 3,850,918 times

Advertisements

1. In your opinions, out of Fulton, Dekalb, Cobb, Gwinnett, and Clayton County School Systems, how does each rank overall on a scale of 1 to 5 (imagining that there could be no ties)?

2. What can (realistically) be done to get the bottom two school systems closer to the top?

3. What do you predict will come of the bottom two systems in the next 5 to 10 years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2010, 12:25 AM

3,615 posts, read 7,778,928 times
1. Cobb is clearly the best, on average. Clayton is the worst. I think there's a sticky post about schools.

2. Increase the number of wealthy citizens living there, increase the tax base and put more money into schools.

3. Clayton county can only improve from my perspective.

Old 07-09-2010, 07:06 AM

16,701 posts, read 29,532,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netdragon View Post
2. Increase the number of wealthy citizens living there, increase the tax base and put more money into schools.

3. Clayton county can only improve from my perspective.

Yes.

Old 07-09-2010, 07:16 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,195,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netdragon View Post
Increase the number of wealthy citizens living there, increase the tax base and put more money into schools.
Genetics and parental involvement are the two most impactful attributes that children can have when it comes to education. They have to have the raw talent and ambition, combined with someone to show them the way and keep them on track. Wealth has nothing to do with it, although there is some correlation between successful parents, their children's ability, and parental involvement.

Money spent by the school system, in and of itself, is not an indicator of success and never has been.

Old 07-09-2010, 08:22 AM

8,486 posts, read 15,002,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Genetics and parental involvement are the two most impactful attributes that children can have when it comes to education. They have to have the raw talent and ambition, combined with someone to show them the way and keep them on track. Wealth has nothing to do with it, although there is some correlation between successful parents, their children's ability, and parental involvement.

Money spent by the school system, in and of itself, is not an indicator of success and never has been.
I would say that parental involvement is the most important factor, and genetics plays little to no role in educational attainment. While it is true that the children of well educated people are usually well educated themselves, that is due to the parents having the understanding of what is necessary for the child to succeed and not all linked to their genes.

Most cognitive and reasoning abilities are developed from infancy to adolescence. What you are exposed to, and how you are introduced to learning, at the beginning of that is the key.

Old 07-09-2010, 11:13 AM

2,206 posts, read 6,892,331 times
3-generation conversation in the car earlier this week:

Grandpa: "How's it going with that Chemistry assignment?" (A reference to the summer study packet assigned to rising AP Chem students).

Teen: "Good grief, Mom is reminding me about that enough already."

Mom: "Where do you think I got my talent for 'reminding'? Furthermore young lady, one of these days you may find yourself saying 'Have you done that homework yet?' yourself."

Teen: "Yeah, well, better than having a kid failing math. But lay off already, I'm about halfway through the Chemistry."

This is how educated families perpetuate themselves.

Old 07-09-2010, 11:46 AM

4 posts, read 7,754 times
From the bottom comes people who change the world. Our country is proof even if some elites who conserve have forgotten the very history they seek to conserve.

How to help the bottom? Well, In US football they figured out a redistribution scheme to do exactly this. There a black dude in NY who seems to be making progress too. Smart guy.

Old 07-09-2010, 02:32 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,089,277 times
1. I've heard very good things about both Cobb and Gwinnett.

2. Get the parents in those school areas to care more and become involved.

3. I have no idea.

Old 07-11-2010, 10:34 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,532,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
...Wealth has nothing to do with it...
Incorrect.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:34 PM

876 posts, read 2,278,839 times
1. In your opinions, out of Fulton, Dekalb, Cobb, Gwinnett, and Clayton County School Systems, how does each rank overall on a scale of 1 to 5 (imagining that there could be no ties)?

Clayton - 1-2 (worst)
Cobb - 3-5 (depends on location) (best)
Dekalb - 2-3 (depends on location)
Fulton - 2-5 (depends on location)
Gwinnett - 3-5 (depends on location) (good reputation)

2. What can (realistically) be done to get the bottom two school systems closer to the top?

I don't anything can be done other than concerned parents voting with their feet by leaving the areas with "low performing" public schools.

3. What do you predict will come of the bottom two systems in the next 5 to 10 years?

Clayton's public schools really can only improve since they are considered the worst of the lot in metro Atlanta or perhaps in all of Georgia, but improving them is a high order, so predicting the future can be tricky.

Last edited by SW30303; 07-12-2010 at 09:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: