Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 01:05 PM

927 posts, read 2,227,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantasfinest View Post
I'm surprised you didnt know about those Bizzie...those spots are jumping on Mondays and is a good mix of Entertainment Industry and Black Professionals mixed in.

And your right in your observation that Atlanta is a promoter driven city where venues & nights are subject to change.
Miscommunication. I was using shorthand for "Gold Room over Tongue and Groove?" since he seems he was preferring Gold Room and advocating more for it on Monday nights when I've been to T & G on Mondays and had a blast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2010, 12:55 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,573,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondandfun View Post
Go to ANY club/bar/etc. in Atlanta and it's usually 5% professional. The rest is college brats and old pathetic trolls.

Most professionals who are educated live in the suburbs where their children can walk around without body armor.

lol thats silly.

Old 08-29-2010, 02:09 PM

32,027 posts, read 36,813,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizchick86 View Post
Good you posted this. Atlanta is a promoter city. So the promoter is just as, if not more than, important as the venue itself. You can go to sutra and it be completely whack one night and hype the next. It's all in who the promoter's clientèle is.
What are the major party venues in the city's African American neighborhoods?

Back in the Stone Age we'd occasionally drop in at Mr. V's Figure 8 but it's probably long gone.

Old 09-05-2010, 02:51 PM

7 posts, read 12,356 times
I'm a professional black heterosexual male in my mid 30's looking to relocate to ATL from Philadelphia btw Sept/Oct. I've looked at foreclosures in the Camp Creak Area and apartments in the Perimeter mall area. I want to thank all those people who have contributed valuable information to this thread and I would appreciate any other info that could be provided. For all those who complain about blacks wanting to socialize with other blacks, I suggest you go down to Chinatown with picket signs. LOL They have their own town without white folks. They have their own economy without outsiders participating. Surely you should be there doing something about it (LOL). It's strange that whenever blacks want to do anything that promotes any form of unity (even if it's just socializing) in a black environment, it attracts those who take time to criticize/complain. The original poster simply wants to be among her crowd socially. This shouldn't be a problem.

I too would like to find the black heterosexual professional chrowd in ATL. I don't see why this would be an issue.

Well actually (on second thought) I do. (There are still those in white society who feel the need to be in control of a position of superiority in America. Anything that excludes them (even if it's something they wouldn't want to participate in) is wrong in their eyes).

The original poster didn't ask for spots where white people weren't allowed to use the rest room and they had to go in the back door to spend their money after they were forced to ride the back of the bus to get ther..
The woman doesn't want to "kill whitey" LOL she simply wants to find professional African American social spots.

Old 09-05-2010, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL bound now View Post
It's strange that whenever blacks want to do anything that promotes any form of unity (even if it's just socializing) in a black environment, it attracts those who take time to criticize/complain.
You raise some great points.

I'd still be interested in knowing what the major party venues are in the city's African American neighborhoods. Are whites welcome there or would that be considered awkward?

Old 09-05-2010, 03:11 PM

7 posts, read 12,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
You raise some great points.

I'd still be interested in knowing what the major party venues are in the city's African American neighborhoods. Are whites welcome there or would that be considered awkward?
Whites would be welcome any where that I'd frequent. Wanting to be in a place that is a social spot for young African American professionals doesn't mean we want whites excluded. If whites hang in a predominantly white atmosphere or want to find that type of place to socialize in, I have no problem with it. As long as neither environment is saying "no whites or no blacks" welcome. It's ok by me.

Old 09-05-2010, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL bound now View Post
Whites would be welcome any where that I'd frequent. Wanting to be in a place that is a social spot for young African American professionals doesn't mean we want whites excluded. If whites hang in a predominantly white atmosphere or want to find that type of place to socialize in, I have no problem with it. As long as neither environment is saying "no whites or no blacks" welcome. It's ok by me.
Sounds great.

Where are the major party venues in the city's African American neighborhoods? I'm just out of the loop on that.

Old 09-05-2010, 09:31 PM

927 posts, read 2,227,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Sounds great.

Where are the major party venues in the city's African American neighborhoods? I'm just out of the loop on that.
As others have intimated, Atlanta is rare because venues that attract the black professional crowd are basically everywhere and not relegated to any singular Af-Am neighborhoods. In fact, the neighborhoods that are predominately African-American are largely suburban and offer as much nightlife as any other generic suburb. When they do have nightlife they are largely in strip malls, either draw an older or hood crowd, and are otherwise not really hip.

If you just want to know party venues frequented a lot by professional blacks, the thread lays those out, including one of mine upthread. As far as venues in our neighborhoods, they're not going to be the ones that are most popular or even well-regarded as hip spots, but by your definition that's what you're looking for. Some I can think of:

- The Ritz- Old National Highway, College Park, GA. Heard it was surprisingly posh.
- Echelon 3000- Club in Stone Mountain. Older, Uncle Charlie with the alligator boots crowd. Even on a Raheem Devaughn night (yes, I've tried it)
- Central Station- East Point. The hoodest of the hood in terms of crowd, not advisable for me, but it is nice inside, or so I've heard.
- The Ultimate Bar and Grill- East Point-Bou-ghetto. Bougie folks mixed with some ghettofabulousness. Actually have enjoyed it the few times I've gone, but am reallly instinctively averse to strip mall nightlife. Like, really.
- Space- West End, Atlanta. Lounge/bar. Probably the only hip spot in a predominately Black hood that I can think of. Draws a mixed crowd.
- Any JR Crickets
- Crowe's Nest- College Park, GA. See Echelon 3000.
- Hairston's- Stone Mountain. See Crowe's Nest.
- The Atrium- Stone Mountain. hoodish event/concert venue
- Primetime- Stone Mountain. Hoodish event/club venue
- Esso- Memorial Dr., Atlanta- Probably draws the youngest, more hip crowd out of all the above, attracts the same celebrities as the more intown clubs, but just not my cup of tea. See "The Ultimate" above.

As noted, most of these are not where most professional folk really hang out on the regular. You just might end up getting sucked into one of these places by a home body cousin who thinks "the city" is too stuck up/too far on the highway and feels more comfortable in this kind of crowd. But since you asked....

Old 09-05-2010, 09:52 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,778,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_Esquire View Post
Most intelligent folks would also understand why the question was phrased the way it was phrased.

And if you have nothing useful to add to the thread, you can keep it moving. And while you're gone, you can start your own thread about what 'most intelligent folks' vs. 'non-intelligent folks' do. I won't mind.
Brilliantly put, and far less tedious than what I was about to write.

Kudos!!!!

You got a rep. point from me for that one.

Old 09-05-2010, 10:22 PM

174 posts, read 412,301 times
I heard this was a nice place...

sambuca - dinner. drinks. live music.

I think its either a mixed crowd or mostly African American I am not sure.. Does anybody know anything about Sambuca?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta