Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 09:00 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times

Advertisements

AKHENATON06, I'm almost willing to meet you halfway on this, but you're going to have to give up your obsession with how things "might have been." It's not doing this discussion any good. Could MARTA be better? Yes. There's lots of things I wish were different, but what's the constructive reason for beating a dead horse?

Old 10-04-2010, 09:24 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,636,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Bradley View Post
I've never been to Atlanta (outside of the airport), but I'll agree that it's superior as a city to DC.
Care to expand on that?

Old 10-04-2010, 11:14 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,798,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
AKHENATON06, I'm almost willing to meet you halfway on this, but you're going to have to give up your obsession with how things "might have been." It's not doing this discussion any good. Could MARTA be better? Yes. There's lots of things I wish were different, but what's the constructive reason for beating a dead horse?
I guess focusing on what could have been is about the same as focusing on what could be...so maybe it's more like looking toward the future rather than being negative in this case? We all know that transit oriented development actually HAS been taking place for about 15 years now in Atlanta and the urbanity/infill has improved dramatically in the city. MARTA is a gem for this city, albeit one that hasn't lived to it's full potential as of yet...but there certainly is hope for it in the future IMO.

Old 10-04-2010, 11:41 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,636,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
I guess focusing on what could have been is about the same as focusing on what could be...so maybe it's more like looking toward the future rather than being negative in this case? We all know that transit oriented development actually HAS been taking place for about 15 years now in Atlanta and the urbanity/infill has improved dramatically in the city. MARTA is a gem for this city, albeit one that hasn't lived to it's full potential as of yet...but there certainly is hope for it in the future IMO.
Most things don't live up to their potential. What matters is whether there's still room for improvement. With a system like MARTA, it's not a lost cause. But I agree with you. Focusing on missed opportunities doesn't accomplish anything. It makes more sense to focus on what you can do with what's right in front of you.

Old 10-04-2010, 03:33 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,857,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Forgive me, but I suppose I'm just analytical like that. I do the same thing with other subjects as well. For me, it keeps the brain juices swirling.

Old 10-04-2010, 04:44 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
But I think the main culprit in the case of Buckhead is Lenox Mall. It's built to suburban standards (as almost all malls are) in the midst of what should be a highly urban environment. Ballston has a mall also, but it doesn't have the surface parking that Lenox has (it's built atop several stories of parking) and has connectivity with the surrounding streets.
I completely agree. If Lenox could be developed to a more urban form, that area of Buckhead would be transformed. For a variety of reasons, however, that's not likely to occur in the next 20-30 years. Haven't seen the plans for this phase of the Peachtree Boulevard project but that may make some improvements.

Old 10-19-2010, 09:08 AM

54 posts, read 134,169 times
Wowwww I enjoyed reading all the insight on atl and atlanta I am moving to atlanta soon myself and I am a dc native born and raised but unfortunately I nvere had the chance to visit atl but allways wanted to live there and have hear so many things about atlanta.metro is expensive despite its known fact for getting you any where you need to go,and what's sad is the fees are going up every few months on metro as soon as you get comfortable with one fare the fare go up almost to the nearest dollar.metro isn't that safe people has died on our metro system again perhaps due to old cars and undercleaning etc.I love dc don't get me wrong but I agree with the price of living and our efforts to promote ourself its not worth living here nomore I am 26 with 3 children I love city life but city life as we know it in dc is about to be a thing of the pass they trying to redevelop with no common ground our rules and laws here are simply contridicted by our actions so I agree I am moving to atl and I can't wait to see the marta system and all the other attractions that I can compare to dc because I've seen all I need to and want to see in dc and I'm tired of forcing myself to live uncomfortable becaue of dc expensive life style....it wasn't allways like this

Old 10-19-2010, 09:13 AM

54 posts, read 134,169 times
Escuse my typos I meant never and I meant I enjoyed the different views of atlanta from a dc perspective it was everything I needed to secure some of my inner obsessions with seeing a different place and livng somewhere besides dc all in all I just want a different scene and start a new life that's why I'm moving to atlanta

Old 10-19-2010, 08:09 PM

117 posts, read 255,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromGA View Post
The only problem is when it is hyped to be something that it is not, and then people come here, and get diappointed. (Even though due diligence is always needed.)
wow....this is nothin but the TRUTH!

Old 12-26-2010, 10:57 AM

276 posts, read 432,059 times
Physical maps of WMATA and MARTA

WMATA:
WMATA map (DC area subway) - Google Maps

MARTA:
MARTA (Atlanta subway) - Google Maps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta