Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 03:03 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,089,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
'The sky is falling, the sky is falling'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2010, 03:26 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,815,970 times
Quote:
Speaking of 'News'--sigh--I feel the need to rant about the AJC. Just glanced at today's headlines. Among them---'Druid Hills High School Forced to Evacuate'.

Apparently there was a small fire/smoke in the ROTC building--taken care of ---no real problem. From the headline I assumed the school was burning to the ground. Looked at the other headlines---certainly seems the city is again on the way to 'H'.
'The sky is falling, the sky is falling'.

I suppose I can tune in to the evening news and learn that yes, indeed, there is little hope for anyone to live another day.

Slow news day, eh?

That's the problem with mainstream media. And you go onto the cable news networks (ANY of them - pick a card, any card...) and have "Breaking news" with a news stream scrolling along the bottom of the screen about something completely different... Most of it is garbage (c'mon, Kim Kardashian???) OMG how will we survive all this?! Makes me feel a little queasy trying to catch up, because I don't know where to focus on the screen. I look at the scrolling news, and miss the Breaking News (URGENT!!!!). And all the freaking "teasers"...

Last edited by Neemy; 12-07-2010 at 03:34 PM..

Old 12-09-2010, 01:08 PM

168 posts, read 561,145 times
Guess I'll chime in. Local news outlets, tv, radio and print, are just sad. Local TV news is horrible everywhere, but the AJC and radio stations have no excuse.

First, Atlanta doesn't have any all news radio stations, which I found shocking after moving here from LA. I can't believe that people want to start the day (and end it) being pissed off about politics. It's just "BeMAD! BE MAD! BE Mad!! Kill the liberals!" all day long. So I listen to KNX 1070, an all news station from L.A., through the Yahoo Music and AOL Radio apps on my iPhone.

I can't even get started on the AJC. The website, the writing, the topics are all just pathetic. The best writing about Atlanta I've read over the past two years has been in the New York Times (believe it or not) and the weekly local papers to some extent.

Old 12-09-2010, 01:47 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,490,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windu View Post
Guess I'll chime in. Local news outlets, tv, radio and print, are just sad. Local TV news is horrible everywhere, but the AJC and radio stations have no excuse.

First, Atlanta doesn't have any all news radio stations, which I found shocking after moving here from LA. I can't believe that people want to start the day (and end it) being pissed off about politics. It's just "BeMAD! BE MAD! BE Mad!! Kill the liberals!" all day long. So I listen to KNX 1070, an all news station from L.A., through the Yahoo Music and AOL Radio apps on my iPhone.

I can't even get started on the AJC. The website, the writing, the topics are all just pathetic. The best writing about Atlanta I've read over the past two years has been in the New York Times (believe it or not) and the weekly local papers to some extent.
Good to know of an alternative.

It is indeed difficult to get objective news here.

Today I would like a bit of FYI on the rioting in London. As of yet I have not found an appropriate source.

Old 12-10-2010, 07:46 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,089,277 times
Quote:
Good to know of an alternative.

It is indeed difficult to get objective news here.

Today I would like a bit of FYI on the rioting in London. As of yet I have not found an appropriate source.
London riots - Google News

London riots - Yahoo! News Search Results

Old 12-11-2010, 07:42 AM

3,573 posts, read 5,310,733 times
I agree with everything said, especially the comment on the AJC. Just like our current Commander-in-Chief, it seems that the more that the AJC tries to seek the moderate/middle ground/slightly left or right-of-center position to please everyone, the more the AJC ends up pleasing no one. That sort of tactic comes off as disingenous & false in the long run and eventually a side HAS to be picked, if for nothing else but to move the ball forward.

Maybe the AJC should split back up into the Atlanta Journal & the Atlanta Constitution so that partisans on both sides of the aisle can claim a newspaper media for their own once again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windu View Post

Old 12-11-2010, 08:04 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,490,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
I agree with everything said, especially the comment on the AJC. Just like our current Commander-in-Chief, it seems that the more that the AJC tries to seek the moderate/middle ground/slightly left or right-of-center position to please everyone, the more the AJC ends up pleasing no one. That sort of tactic comes off as disingenous & false in the long run and eventually a side HAS to be picked, if for nothing else but to move the ball forward.

Maybe the AJC should split back up into the Atlanta Journal & the Atlanta Constitution so that partisans on both sides of the aisle can claim a newspaper media for their own once again.
Why go back? It is a resource, there are many resources for obtaining news. 'Personal issues'---we all have them.

Yesterday's earth shattering news from CNN included Bill Clinton addressing a press conference ? because the President needed to get ready for a Christmas/holiday party. I was walking through the room--certain there was more to the story. On my way back the analyses had begun---I kept walking.

I have formed an opinion. Not much of one. Probably as good if not better than other opinions.

Old 12-11-2010, 08:15 AM

349 posts, read 781,665 times
To answer the original question I don't really watch the news. Not because I do not wish to be informed but because I get annoyed having to do so on their schedule. They like to tease you with stories that will be discussed "today at 5" or what have you. Then of course that story is going to be the last story they do so they can keep you watching through the whole time period. I prefer to just get my news online so I can become informed on my own time without having to wait for them to show me their "big story".

If I had to choose though I would say WSB. That is only because I grew up with my parents always watching that station. It is still weird when I see "Monica Pearson" instead of "Monica Kaufman".

Old 12-11-2010, 09:28 AM

3,573 posts, read 5,310,733 times
That was pretty weak on Obama's part, using the old President to bless his "neo-triangulation"-style strategy. That's my opinion anyways. Can't say whether or not its equivalent to yours or better/worse.

I'll let the City-data gods decide that one.

Quote:
Why go back? It is a resource, there are many resources for obtaining news. 'Personal issues'---we all have them.

Yesterday's earth shattering news from CNN included Bill Clinton addressing a press conference ? because the President needed to get ready for a Christmas/holiday party. I was walking through the room--certain there was more to the story. On my way back the analyses had begun---I kept walking.

I have formed an opinion. Not much of one. Probably as good if not better than other opinions.

Old 12-11-2010, 03:25 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,135,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
I think historically, it is best to be in the middle if the President wants to be re-elected. If Obama moves to the center, I think he can unto this past election and get re-elected. That and an economic recovery.

Quote:
That's not happening. It has a hard enough time surviving as one paper. I have no evidence but I'm guessing the political spectrum is more like the Bell Curve. Most people bunch in the center and the hard-liners on either side are few in number. Two "papers" might make it as an on-line version only but advertising, etc. is still a problem.

I'm guessing Cox will eventually merge the AJC with WSB as an online news organization. I wonder how much longer broadcast television (as we know it) survives?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta