Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 10:08 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,530,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I didn't watch local TV news for years, but just recently started tuning in again. Admittedly, the coverage seems to deal mainly with who got shot, run over, bitten by a pit bull, had their house/apartment complex burn down or had their benefits denied by some agency, but it's still kind of interesting.

I gave up on local radio just because it's so one-sided. WSB is a constant barrage of Neal, Sean Hannity, Michael Savage, Herman Cain, etc. WGST is Glenn Beck, Rush, and so on. 1160 is Laura Ingraham, Dr. Laura, Erik Muller, etc. WABE is nothing but Lois Rightsus (sp?) spinning classical records.

There are really no non-conservative voices that I can think of. At least they're not on the air when I tune in. I like to get my news with some balance, instead of having it all come in through the same filter.

So we switched to satellite radio about 7 or 8 years ago and it was the best thing I did in a long time. No commercials for one thing, and you get a much broader view of the world and vastly more variety. Brought my blood pressure down a few points, too.
What about Clark Howard?!

I hear you about the one sided slant of Atlanta radio. I'd just be happy with some moderates. We do have WRFG 89.3 but they are so far left that sometimes they make Fidel Castro seem like Pat Buchanan. A local news/issues show would do well I'd think. Something that tries to avoid the partisanship of national politics and instead looks at what is happening in the city. I think there is enough going on in Atlanta and Georgia to support a 2 hour show 5 days a week. I can host.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2010, 11:39 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,814,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Any particular station you prefer with the Atlanta news? I'am a long time WSB-TV channel 2 watcher.
Same here, but mainly for weather-related stuff. I'm just used to Glenn Burns and David Chandley for weather. And it's always fun to see Monica Pearson's hair. (I still call her Monica Kaufman, though!)

Old 12-06-2010, 07:18 AM

32,021 posts, read 36,777,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
What about Clark Howard?!
Well, the thread was about local news and Clark's not a news/political guy.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:17 AM

23,463 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
I gave up on local radio just because it's so one-sided. WSB is a constant barrage of Neal, Sean Hannity, Michael Savage, Herman Cain, etc. WGST is Glenn Beck, Rush, and so on. 1160 is Laura Ingraham, Dr. Laura, Erik Muller, etc. WABE is nothing but Lois Rightsus (sp?) spinning classical records.

There are really no non-conservative voices that I can think of. At least they're not on the air when I tune in. I like to get my news with some balance, instead of having it all come in through the same filter.
The news (sometimes unfortunately, I think) is, and has been for almost 50 years, by and large a commercial enterprise. They need ratings to survive, and people tend to vote with their feet. You can't say that liberal talk radio has failed for lack of trying, their latest (and ultimately disastrous) attempt being Air America.
The fact of the matter is that most Americans don't care what liberal talking heads have to say, or have figured out that what they do have to say is generally devoid of facts and substance. I mean, how long can you listen to Randi Rhodes spew personal insults, digress in meaningless circles and defend her liberalism because she is a 'warm, caring person'? Sheesh. I'd rather listen to white noise and would get about as much edification out of doing so.
So, the liberals have their home on NPR, which happily props them up at our expense because there is no way on God's Green Earth that they could ever construct a profit center out of that drivel.
BTW, it's Lois Reitzes.I could listen to her read the phone book.

Old 12-06-2010, 10:47 AM

32,021 posts, read 36,777,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Ah, thanks. I've seen the spelling of her name and should have looked it up. She's certainly an institution on the Atlanta scene. I don't dislike Reitzes personally, of course, I'd just prefer to hear something other than classical music all day long.

It would be great if we could get some of the public radio programming you get in other cities. Shows such as On Point, On the Media, Talk of the Nation, Brian Lehrer, Michael Krassny, Science Friday, etc. are non-political, or at least non-partisan. Just some factual reporting and no histrionics or bashing of either side -- that's my criteria.

To me Randi Rhodes is just as much fingernails on the blackboard as Michael Savage. However, she's never been on public radio or any mainstream outlet to my knowledge.

Old 12-06-2010, 10:51 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,758,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Any particular station you prefer with the Atlanta news? I'am a long time WSB-TV channel 2 watcher.
It don't matter to me. Whatever channel the TV is on at 11 PM or 10 PM if it is on 5, that's what I watch. I do like the "Commuter Dude" on 11 though.

Old 12-06-2010, 10:59 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,758,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
The news (sometimes unfortunately, I think) is, and has been for almost 50 years, by and large a commercial enterprise. They need ratings to survive, and people tend to vote with their feet. You can't say that liberal talk radio has failed for lack of trying, their latest (and ultimately disastrous) attempt being Air America.
The fact of the matter is that most Americans don't care what liberal talking heads have to say, or have figured out that what they do have to say is generally devoid of facts and substance. I mean, how long can you listen to Randi Rhodes spew personal insults, digress in meaningless circles and defend her liberalism because she is a 'warm, caring person'? Sheesh. I'd rather listen to white noise and would get about as much edification out of doing so.
So, the liberals have their home on NPR, which happily props them up at our expense because there is no way on God's Green Earth that they could ever construct a profit center out of that drivel.
Air America failed because it was never designed right with top talented liberal talk host. I am a liberal and it bored me to listen to it. I don't want to hear comics or intellectuals. I want to hear liberal talk show host that can go toe to toe fact to fact with conservatives and win. People like Bob Lassitter and Alan Berg used to be. Neither of them ever had a problem holding an audience. I feel that I am also talented enough for the job myself as well.

Old 12-06-2010, 11:05 AM

826 posts, read 3,120,715 times
I listen to NPR

Old 12-06-2010, 11:08 AM

2,590 posts, read 4,530,956 times
Quote:
Ah, thanks. I've seen the spelling of her name and should have looked it up. She's certainly an institution on the Atlanta scene. I don't dislike Reitzes personally, of course, I'd just prefer to hear something other than classical music all day long.

It would be great if we could get some of the public radio programming you get in other cities. Shows such as On Point, On the Media, Talk of the Nation, Brian Lehrer, Michael Krassny, Science Friday, etc. are non-political, or at least non-partisan. Just some factual reporting and no histrionics or bashing of either side -- that's my criteria.

To me Randi Rhodes is just as much fingernails on the blackboard as Michael Savage. However, she's never been on public radio or any mainstream outlet to my knowledge.
I personally cannot stand Lois Reitzes' voice. I was shocked when I saw a picture of her not too long ago. She's much younger than I thought she would be. She sounds like a typical old school Buckhead ninety year old blue-haired blue blood.

WABE actually has those shows you mention but they are on HD channel number 3 and online. Unless you have an HD ready radio in your car you are stuck with regular 90.1 on your commute.

I wish Atlanta had a public radio station with a format similar to WUTC in Chattanooga or WFMU or WFUV in New York. Those stations play a lot of indie rock and roots music.

Old 12-06-2010, 12:41 PM

475 posts, read 684,802 times
AM: Formerly FOX5, now Channel 2 Action News (WSB)

FOX5's Good Day Atlanta is too much of an entertainment show for my morning needs. I'm not sure if the Mark Hayes, Sudchita Vadlamani, Cheryl, Jeff chemistry is there either.

Channel 2 quickly and cyclically hits you with national and local news, weather, and traffic in a short window of time. The newscasters also have great personalities.

Evening: Formerly FOX5, now 11Alive or Channel 2 Action News (WSB)

FOX5 spreads one story over about 4 newscasts between 5pm and 7pm. They'll tease a story at 5, give you a little more at 6, in order to tell you they'll have the rest of it at 6:30. Surely that's for ratings and to keep you glued for 2 hours, but I don't have that kind of time. I believe if you have the ENTIRE story at 5, you should air it. Customers might appreciate your consideration and become loyal.

WSB Channel 2 Action News - I can watch at 5pm. I can not, however, listen to Monica Pearson read the teleprompter at 6. Her over-enunciating and display of emotion makes me want to slit my wrists.
11Alive is tolerable anytime. Not much personality, not deep, flashy, or all that interesting of a presentation, but you'll be up to date on the news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta