Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 08:48 PM

1,120 posts, read 2,592,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ostriches View Post

pacnwbound,...I'll go w/ you ! Denver , it's thinking people, awesome beauty, great healthy food , accessible transit & endless art & culture, in no way compares to the ATL! Gez,.. give me a break!!! Oh plus beatiful parks in every neighborhood & tons of paths & bike trails, too! Yeah, so it snows some,... the city does not close down & the streets & sidewalks are cleared quickly!!
Atlanta, w/ its corrupt politicians, outdated roads, a train that goes no-where, hip-hop rappers, shootings every night, highest unemployment rate in the country, dumb copy cat housewives of Atlanta,... & suburban sprawl filled w/ simple minded don't question anything folks.
You guys can have your ATL!

Calling Colorado home involves having somewhat of a pioneer spirit. You brave the elements and what Mother Nature throws at you.

Many people, including myself, are tired of dealing with snow and cold weather.

Atlanta's climate is much more aging-friendly. And let's face facts, many of us are not getting any younger.

Your chances of falling on humidity is zero. ZERO! The chances of falling on lots of snow and ice are pretty good. Sooner or later it's bound to happen. When a person is older, a bad fall can change your life forever.

Many people view Atlanta as a beautiful city. It is! And let's not forget that a few mountain views are visible in the northern metro area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2011, 08:59 AM

439 posts, read 852,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by axemanjoe View Post
Yours is a very subjective conclusion. As to what one can expect in atlanta after living in denver, the difference is night and day. Different weather, different customs, different attitudes. I lived in the denver metro area for ten years in the 80's adn 90's, moved there from houston, man was it culture shock, more so for me as I am in law enforcement and colorado is the kind of state that when it comes to crime and dealing with criminals, l got the feeling that everyone who dodged the draft and took dope in the 60's now lived in colorado.

Now here in Ga I also got culture shock, backwards thinking policitians, lack of urban growth plans as far as traffic and infrastructure, not to mention a state government that has an abundance of useless department heads, the snow storm a few weeks was a good example of that. Houston has a second loop around the city that was started in the 70's. How far ahead are the folks here in GA thinking, not very far, about as far as their next sweetheart deal.

Colorado has its own issues as well, but to say one is better than the other depends on the person. I have friends there that would never consider leaving, and I have friends here that are perfectly fine with all the issues I take exception to. There are plusses and minuses anywhere you go.
There's a lot of baseless, uneducated and infatile assumptions (copied and pasted) when it comes to Atlanta from a lot of people that seem not to have been anywhere else but Atlanta and have a personal agenda to fulfill. One may also wonder if they have a vested interest to have people moving in. Realtors, business owners, you name it. Very common in this forum.

Old 01-31-2011, 09:07 AM

439 posts, read 852,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
I was stationed near Denver in the military.

Denver has just as many strip malls as Atlanta. Atlanta is just a better city. More energy, more shopping, better weather, better transportation, more entertainment, better location, cheaper, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc
Broken record. Is that ALL you have as a rebuttal? Denver has strip malls too? Please grow up. You are shaming the city of Atlanta with unintelligent and childish comments that are baseless. If you cannot defend Atlanta intelligently like most posters here can, do not say anything at all.

Old 01-31-2011, 09:18 AM

705 posts, read 1,110,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alinka72 View Post
There's a lot of baseless, uneducated and infatile assumptions (copied and pasted) when it comes to Atlanta from a lot of people that seem not to have been anywhere else but Atlanta and have a personal agenda to fulfill. One may also wonder if they have a vested interest to have people moving in. Realtors, business owners, you name it. Very common in this forum.
Well ya know what they say about opinions, they're like a part of the human anatomy that everyone has.

Old 02-04-2011, 01:25 PM

257 posts, read 669,694 times
Can your husband commute? My friend is a pilot and lived in Atlanta for a while before deciding to move to Denver for more outdoor opportunities. He is based in Atlanta and commutes back and forth. He seems to like Denver a lot! If not, Atlanta is a cool city too. I would assume you get buddy passes so you can always take free trips to CO!

Old 03-17-2012, 12:14 PM

6 posts, read 18,911 times
I would consider Peachtree City. It's an oasis in the middle of junk, but you will eliminate 90% of the traffic, and, with the golf cart paths connecting much of the area, you would rarely need a car. It's a unique place, google it. It was developed with airline workers in mind many years ago. That being said, I would take Denver over ATL any day, but if you like shopping and eating, as opposed to outdoor activities, Atlanta is OK.....but that's also the reason it's one of the fattest cities. Mrta is nice, especially East Cobb area, but it will be 1 1/2-2 hours to the airport and back in rush hours. Decatur is closer but it's a claustrophobic experience compared to Denver so make sure you like it especially since you will be surrounded by crime areas.

Old 03-19-2012, 02:58 PM

2,118 posts, read 6,377,507 times
Why drive at all?
There's marta, our subway system that extends out in the the first and 2nd ring of suburbs in the north and goes right to the airport.

Old 03-19-2012, 03:17 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,375,627 times
I'd say Atlanta is better. They're both inland. In CO, you get the mountains. In GA, you get proximity to great beaches in FL. I'll take the beaches. Though very liberal, I'd say Atlanta still has some conservatism/traditionalism. Atlanta has a lower cost of living, negligible snow, has a milder climate than the Gulf, and has beautiful falls and springs. Not only that, it doesn't have the "Boulder" factor.

With that said, there are a lot of neighborhoods you can check out. I don't know Marietta's identity today. They mockingly called it "May-retta." I also don't know about all the more in-town neighborhoods they are recommending....do you want "bohemian" or not? If you like newer housing with a yard, then the pricier parts of Decatur are out. If the commute is not an issue, I'd say the North Fulton corridor, though it's far from the airport. But now MARTA, the heavy rail transit system, goes up that way.

Old 03-19-2012, 05:06 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,375,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheMountains View Post
I would consider Peachtree City. It's an oasis in the middle of junk, but you will eliminate 90% of the traffic, and, with the golf cart paths connecting much of the area, you would rarely need a car. It's a unique place, google it. It was developed with airline workers in mind many years ago. That being said, I would take Denver over ATL any day, but if you like shopping and eating, as opposed to outdoor activities, Atlanta is OK.....but that's also the reason it's one of the fattest cities. Mrta is nice, especially East Cobb area, but it will be 1 1/2-2 hours to the airport and back in rush hours. Decatur is closer but it's a claustrophobic experience compared to Denver so make sure you like it especially since you will be surrounded by crime areas.
Great post with a lot of information. I've heard Peachtree City is a very nice place, though I've never bothered to get off the freeway and go look at it, and that the airline folks live there....almost like some suburb you hear of that all the cops chose to live in...lol (not Peachtree City). Correct, East Cobb is nice, though I'm not sure if it carries a Marietta zip code. It's at the confluence of Marietta, Roswell and Sandy Springs. I agree on Decatur. I never liked it. It does feel claustrophobic, and it's close to sketchy areas on one-side and hipster areas on the other.

Old 03-20-2012, 07:43 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
I know that the size house for the money can be found in Kirkwood. I moved to Kirkwood 1 year ago and love it. There are 5 parks within 2 square miles. Great MARTA connection via 2 train stations and 3 bus lines. Kirkwood to Airport >30minutes via MARTA. Very walkable neighborhood with grocery and hardware store 1 mile away at Edgewood Retail District.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta