Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 12:05 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,524,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC84 View Post
Ask any teacher. Black students are more likely to be disruptive and less concerned about the quality of education. Of course I'm not saying everyone is like this, but it really is a different culture. A lot of times, to be academically successful is considered "acting white". With that kind of widespread attitude, nothing is ever going to get better, no matter how much funding you throw at the problem. It just is what it is I'm afraid.

And Clayton County is a perfect example, but not just the only one. Look at what happens to virtually every school district once it turns majority black. If it weren't for that type of track record, I don't think whites would be as quick to leave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2014, 12:19 PM

8,486 posts, read 14,999,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPeach2 View Post
I dont think many blacks want to be in the burbs, thats whats affordable. Gentrification
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
Yep. Blacks who typically lived in the inner-cities are being pushed out by gentrification. They can't afford to live there anymore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mostar View Post
It's opposite of what happened in the previous century. More whites are moving back to the cities while blacks to the suburbs.
It's a mix of both. Lower income black folks are increasingly getting pushed out to the burbs due to gentrification, however in Atlanta this scenario isn't as common as it is in say DC or NYC because the South and West side have yet to gentrify. In fact, with the exception of Kirkwood and the O4W, I can think of very few neighborhoods in the city that have "flipped" majorities.

Yes, the City has seen a huge rise in it's white population. It has however been mainly in Buckhead, Midtown and on the Eastside. All neighborhoods that have been majority white forever. At the same time, while the rental and housing prices have risen significantly in those neighborhoods, the same is not true in poorer neighborhoods.

At the same time, I would say the majority of middle class and higher blacks who are buying homes are opting for the suburbs on purpose. They want that same suburban dream too. That's not to say that this same demographic doesn't want to live in the city either. I do and there are plenty of others like me. A big part of this trend though are Black folks arriving from the Northeast and Midwest. In their mind, after living in places like NYC, getting a huge house in the suburbs is a dream come true and not the unfashionable thing it is with hipsters.

In the long run, it's hard to say what will happen in the City of Atlanta. The closing of all of the housing projects and the foreclosure crisis caused a situation where the Black population in the city proper dropped sharply in a short amount of time. This trend, IMHO will not be sustained.

Long story short, there is no one simple answer to the question. After all, not all black folks fall in to the poor and uneducated bucket.

Old 01-17-2014, 02:21 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,746,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listennow32 View Post
Actually the fact that the county is working class and the fact that there is a lack of parent involvement go hand in hand. If you are a working class parent trying to hold down a job (more than likely multiple jobs) just to put food on the table. Your ability to attend these events and participate is diminished greatly. However, compare that to the middle income earner who has a flexible enough income to take off from work some days to attend school events, take a vacation here and there. Invest more in the family basically. Unlike the former, they are not always stressing about making ends meet. Their mind is freed up to do a lot more rather than being solely burdened by the realities of survival. A common misconception of working class people, especially those of color, is that they tend to lead hedonistic lifestyles, don't care about parenting their children, and look for handouts rather than job. While this may be true for an extremely minuscule part of the population, the vast majority are not like that. American media tends to rely on stereotypes rather than reality when portraying different groups.
I agree with this statement, but I still think that Clayco does a bad job of educating parents, mostly hispanics and asians who don't know english. This goes for taxpayers too.

Old 01-18-2014, 12:51 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,524,727 times
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-kV...e_gdata_player

Old 01-18-2014, 04:42 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,219,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
It's a mix of both. Lower income black folks are increasingly getting pushed out to the burbs due to gentrification, however in Atlanta this scenario isn't as common as it is in say DC or NYC because the South and West side have yet to gentrify. In fact, with the exception of Kirkwood and the O4W, I can think of very few neighborhoods in the city that have "flipped" majorities.

Yes, the City has seen a huge rise in it's white population. It has however been mainly in Buckhead, Midtown and on the Eastside. All neighborhoods that have been majority white forever. At the same time, while the rental and housing prices have risen significantly in those neighborhoods, the same is not true in poorer neighborhoods.

At the same time, I would say the majority of middle class and higher blacks who are buying homes are opting for the suburbs on purpose. They want that same suburban dream too. That's not to say that this same demographic doesn't want to live in the city either. I do and there are plenty of others like me. A big part of this trend though are Black folks arriving from the Northeast and Midwest. In their mind, after living in places like NYC, getting a huge house in the suburbs is a dream come true and not the unfashionable thing it is with hipsters.

In the long run, it's hard to say what will happen in the City of Atlanta. The closing of all of the housing projects and the foreclosure crisis caused a situation where the Black population in the city proper dropped sharply in a short amount of time. This trend, IMHO will not be sustained.

Long story short, there is no one simple answer to the question. After all, not all black folks fall in to the poor and uneducated bucket.
I think it should be noted that not all blacks who are low-income are ghetto or have a ghetto mentality. All low-income blacks are not ok with living in neighborhoods with bad schools, crime and crappy neighbors. In other words, not all low-income blacks are ok with living with riff-raff.

Nicer, safer areas in the city is too inexpensive to low-income blacks seeking safety and good schools go to the suburbs. Unfortunately, the rub is that the lower the rent, the more riff-raff there will be not matter where, and in Atlanta's suburbs, if you don't have a lot of money regardless of race you can still end up stuck living next to riff-raff because the nice suburbs are also becoming expensive.

Old 01-18-2014, 09:19 AM

550 posts, read 989,506 times
Quote:
Ask any teacher. Black students are more likely to be disruptive and less concerned about the quality of education. Of course I'm not saying everyone is like this, but it really is a different culture. A lot of times, to be academically successful is considered "acting white". With that kind of widespread attitude, nothing is ever going to get better, no matter how much funding you throw at the problem. It just is what it is I'm afraid.

And Clayton County is a perfect example, but not just the only one. Look at what happens to virtually every school district once it turns majority black. If it weren't for that type of track record, I don't think whites would be as quick to leave.
http://www.theroot.com/articles/poli...r_factors.html

Last edited by deacongirl; 01-18-2014 at 09:20 AM.. Reason: Link didn't post

Old 01-18-2014, 02:38 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Yes. Exactly.

Old 01-19-2014, 10:29 AM

1,397 posts, read 1,619,652 times
For a study to be legit, it has to be performed under unbiased circumstances--which is not the case here. The Root is not an unbiased site. This would be akin to asking FoxNews their opinion on climate change.

" For more than three decades, researchers have found that black students consistently exhibit more positive attitudes about education than white students, contrary to their lower levels of academic achievement." The article does not go on to explain their reasoning of this, or why their lower levels of achievement exist in spite of their supposed more positive attitudes.

I'm not entirely sure how a "study" is going to disprove what is an obvious widespread issue. An undeniable problem. Even if it were untrue to say academic success is a "acting white", the reality is it's not "acting black" either. It starts with parenting. Many of these kids have absentee mothers and fathers who aren't actively involved in their ACADEMIC life-- and the obvious result is what we see today- failing schools, high dropout rates, turning to crime, etc. it's a unpleasant pill to swallow, but until we address the issue instead of trying to deny it exists or shift blame entirely, nothing will change.

Last edited by JC84; 01-19-2014 at 10:39 AM..

Old 01-19-2014, 02:04 PM

550 posts, read 989,506 times
Quote:
For a study to be legit, it has to be performed under unbiased circumstances--which is not the case here. The Root is not an unbiased site. This would be akin to asking FoxNews their opinion on climate change.

" For more than three decades, researchers have found that black students consistently exhibit more positive attitudes about education than white students, contrary to their lower levels of academic achievement." The article does not go on to explain their reasoning of this, or why their lower levels of achievement exist in spite of their supposed more positive attitudes.

I'm not entirely sure how a "study" is going to disprove what is an obvious widespread issue. An undeniable problem. Even if it were untrue to say academic success is a "acting white", the reality is it's not "acting black" either. It starts with parenting. Many of these kids have absentee mothers and fathers who aren't actively involved in their ACADEMIC life-- and the obvious result is what we see today- failing schools, high dropout rates, turning to crime, etc. it's a unpleasant pill to swallow, but until we address the issue instead of trying to deny it exists or shift blame entirely, nothing will change.
I thought that the article was worthy of consideration, and agree that The Root is not unbiased, but I still wouldn's put it in the same category as Fox. I believe there is convincing evidence that poverty is the issue that must be addressed.

Old 01-19-2014, 05:49 PM

7 posts, read 12,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPeach2 View Post
I usually respect your POV, but am not sure why you would post this video. This guy is an idiot rambling on about nothing....I made it through about 3 minutes of his nonsense. Want those minutes back!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta