Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 10:05 PM

725 posts, read 1,281,674 times

Advertisements

Auc is in a great position to revitalize western downtown especialy vine city
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 10:33 PM

3,715 posts, read 6,006,945 times
Hmm, I find myself agreeing with BBC more or less about this. Have I gone soft?

Old 05-12-2011, 08:37 AM

426 posts, read 1,448,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAubin View Post
I personally dont like the green line plan.
It is the opposite of what good urbanism is. they take away good street retail and pedestrian corrordors and turn it in to a roads that are lacking retail.
Also it takes away the Peach Drop tower, which would destroy my new years plans for every year.
And it takes away my parking deck. But I guess my parking is part of the problem, isn't it... I don't dislike the green line plan, but it kind of skirts around the backside of downtown without addressing the real problems of the heart of downtown.

Old 05-12-2011, 08:38 AM

426 posts, read 1,448,648 times
Here are GSU's plans for downtown... Mainstreet Master Plan

Old 05-12-2011, 08:43 AM

10,742 posts, read 13,426,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumboula View Post
Here are GSU's plans for downtown... Mainstreet Master Plan
Thanks, Gumboula. Those are very exciting plans!

Old 05-12-2011, 12:09 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,152,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
Way too much public space! Who do they think is going to be hanging out in these parks, GSU co-eds? Or will they be scared off by the never-ending barrage of panhandlers, drunks, winos, loiters, hobos who will live there?
If they went with the Green Line plan, I think it should be all GSU. Campus police could then cover it like GWCCA polices Centennial Park. It would give GSU the space it needs and flood the area with students. Plus it would envelop the Five Points station area into GSU making it safer for student commuters. Shoot, it would even be a nice walkway to the Georgia Dome for their football games.

And GSU could follow GT's Tech Square model to provide both academic support and general retail not only for students but the public. In fact, GSU's could be better as Tech Square is not convenient to the general public.

The Green Line also will connect up with Centennial Park. Maybe Atlanta should pursue a green chain like this. linking up parks such as with Piedmont, the Belt Line, and ultimately with a line going all the way to Stone Mountain.

Old 05-12-2011, 12:12 PM

Quote:
And it takes away my parking deck. But I guess my parking is part of the problem, isn't it... I don't dislike the green line plan, but it kind of skirts around the backside of downtown without addressing the real problems of the heart of downtown.
I was thinking the same thing. Parking decks would be taken down. Maybe the decks could be below ground and low level. Make creative structures to hide their purpose.

Old 05-12-2011, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StAubin View Post
Auc is in a great position to revitalize western downtown especialy vine city
I think the AUC, like GSU, should be pursuing their own self-interest. The hope being that it will positively affect the surroundings. The only weakness in the AUC is Morris Brown. They seem to be adding to the problem as they are unaccredited and can't even keep up their own campus. They should either merge with CAU or close down and sell off.

Old 05-12-2011, 01:00 PM

16,731 posts, read 29,613,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
I think the AUC, like GSU, should be pursuing their own self-interest. The hope being that it will positively affect the surroundings. The only weakness in the AUC is Morris Brown. They seem to be adding to the problem as they are unaccredited and can't even keep up their own campus. They should either merge with CAU or close down and sell off.

My proposal is that Morris Brown become a public state university. A good public state university is needed in the AUC. It would attract way more students--and a wide variety of quality students. Would be great for the AUC, the students, the surrounding area, Morris Brown, the State of Georgia, the City of Atlanta, and Metro Atlanta.

Morris Brown State University

Old 05-12-2011, 01:11 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,829,570 times
Quote:
As much as I hate to say it as well, this is a serious problem. The city should look at how other places have served the needs of the homeless without crippling the downtown. This is the only city I have lived in with as serious a vagrancy and panhandling problem (and I have lived in others with larger homeless populations).
Try San Francisco.Ten times as worse imo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta