Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 01:17 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,149,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
My proposal is that Morris Brown become a public state university. A good public state university is needed in the AUC. It would attract way more students--and a wide variety of quality students. Would be great for the AUC, the students, the surrounding area, Morris Brown, the State of Georgia, the City of Atlanta, and Metro Atlanta.

Morris Brown State University

I doubt the State of Georgia wants yet another school to support. It was reluctant to start Georgia Gwinnett and the state's finances are really tight as they cut and cut the USG's budget each year. Besides, both Georgia Perimeter and Atlanta Metropolitan have been cleared to offer some 4-year degrees. I really don't see what niche Morris Brown would fill as a state university.

However...I just heard that the federal government is willing to forgive Morris Brown $10 million if they pay $500,000. That's 5 cents on the dollar. That's a great deal for MB but the taxpayer's take it on the chin for about $9.5 million. I'm worried as the federal government tries to suck up all the nation's debt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 01:26 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,422,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
I doubt the State of Georgia wants yet another school to support. It was reluctant to start Georgia Gwinnett and the state's finances are really tight as they cut and cut the USG's budget each year. Besides, both Georgia Perimeter and Atlanta Metropolitan have been cleared to offer some 4-year degrees. I really don't see what niche Morris Brown would fill as a state university.

However...I just heard that the federal government is willing to forgive Morris Brown $10 million if they pay $500,000. That's 5 cents on the dollar. That's a great deal for MB but the taxpayer's take it on the chin for about $9.5 million. I'm worried as the federal government tries to suck up all the nation's debt.
Oh, heck, MM. What's a measly little ol' $9.5 million on top of $14 trillion?

Old 05-12-2011, 01:36 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,149,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Oh, heck, MM. What's a measly little ol' $9.5 million on top of $14 trillion?
Unfortunately, that's probably how it all started. It's only a measly million here and a million there and...

Old 05-12-2011, 01:43 PM

32,037 posts, read 36,878,577 times
Quote:
My proposal is that Morris Brown become a public state university. A good public state university is needed in the AUC. It would attract way more students--and a wide variety of quality students. Would be great for the AUC, the students, the surrounding area, Morris Brown, the State of Georgia, the City of Atlanta, and Metro Atlanta.
The last I heard they were down to 50 students or so, and up to their eyeballs in debt. If there's insufficient demand, what's the point in trying to maintain Morris Brown as a separate 4 year university?

Why not just fold Morris Brown into AUC as "the Morris Brown School of Public Administration" or something like that? They'd hardly be the first struggling college to merge into a larger institution and you'd still preserve the Morris Brown name.

It's not as if metro Atlanta is hurting for college opportunities. We've got something for everyone. In an era when state supported universities are already under intense pressure to cut costs, it's difficult to see the wisdom in adding another unit that has historically been a financial negative.

Old 05-12-2011, 02:07 PM

969 posts, read 1,962,152 times
I actually like the Green Line Plan. It's modern and clean looking and it does have a big focus on GSU. It also calls for renovating Five Points into a plaza and renovating Underground. To me, Five Points and Underground are the key to turning Downtown completely around. The rest of it is fine, but that area does not look good and is wasted potential.

Also, they are re-doing the streetscape along Marietta Street from Park Ave to Peachtree Street. It should look a lot better when it's all done. My biggest streetscape issue is the Peachtree Street bridge over the Connector - it needs to be done like the 5th Street bridge... Peachtree is our signature street... it should look like it.

Old 05-12-2011, 02:39 PM

906 posts, read 1,748,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike7586 View Post
I actually like the Green Line Plan. It's modern and clean looking and it does have a big focus on GSU. It also calls for renovating Five Points into a plaza and renovating Underground. To me, Five Points and Underground are the key to turning Downtown completely around. The rest of it is fine, but that area does not look good and is wasted potential.

Also, they are re-doing the streetscape along Marietta Street from Park Ave to Peachtree Street. It should look a lot better when it's all done. My biggest streetscape issue is the Peachtree Street bridge over the Connector - it needs to be done like the 5th Street bridge... Peachtree is our signature street... it should look like it.
Why not have . . . actual peach trees!!!

Seriously, though, I do think Atlanta would do well to integrate more of the peach branding into some of the streetscapes. Didn't Peachtree back in the day actually have real peach trees? When did they all disappear (and why?)

Old 05-12-2011, 07:45 PM

16,735 posts, read 29,602,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
The last I heard they were down to 50 students or so, and up to their eyeballs in debt. If there's insufficient demand, what's the point in trying to maintain Morris Brown as a separate 4 year university?

Why not just fold Morris Brown into AUC as "the Morris Brown School of Public Administration" or something like that? They'd hardly be the first struggling college to merge into a larger institution and you'd still preserve the Morris Brown name.

It's not as if metro Atlanta is hurting for college opportunities. We've got something for everyone. In an era when state supported universities are already under intense pressure to cut costs, it's difficult to see the wisdom in adding another unit that has historically been a financial negative.

Think outside the box, Brother Arjay.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:46 PM

16,735 posts, read 29,602,703 times
Quote:

True about state finances, but...

down the road, it could be a possibility and possible scenario.

Dare to dream/think outside the box...

Old 05-12-2011, 08:16 PM

32,037 posts, read 36,878,577 times
Quote:
Think outside the box, Brother Arjay.
That's what I'm doing. To me the "box" is trying to keep doing what Morris Brown has been unsuccessfully trying to do for the last 30 years. When you do something that long and it doesn't work, it's usually time to move in a different direction.

And if you cast off the blinders, that new direction is often quite positive. We're loaded up on four year state universities, and the Board of Regents has been pouring a fortune into two of them just a few blocks away.

I see Morris Brown's future moving in a different direction. Keep what's best about the traditions of the past, but build for the new century.

Old 05-12-2011, 08:21 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,826,658 times
Quote:
I think the AUC, like GSU, should be pursuing their own self-interest. The hope being that it will positively affect the surroundings. The only weakness in the AUC is Morris Brown. They seem to be adding to the problem as they are unaccredited and can't even keep up their own campus. They should either merge with CAU or close down and sell off.

The AUC
Quote:
To be eligible for membership in the AUC Consortium, an college or university must be regionally accredited, maintain tax-exempt status, and pay a membership assessment.
Morris Brown has not been a member since 2002
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta