Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 06:16 PM

115 posts, read 230,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post
Well, when I was suggesting moving out of the country I suppose I had in mind what everyone I work with, who moved overseas for work, has done, which is to put all your stuff in storage and go...but these are people who have a job waiting.

So, for your -- get a job first, sell your car, move.

Actually, South Africa and Namibia would be fun. They're pretty modern and English speaking (also Afrikaans, but everyone speaks English from what I've experienced).
Isn't South Africa pretty dangerous? Same with Nambia? I am kind of going for a party scene, not as a tourist or missionary. I want to have a normal life, but a different life than Atlanta.

Quote:
Honestly, though, I think you won't feel like a fish out of water anywhere. If you're really just looking for a change in pace then I think the West Coast, in general, will fit the bill.
Yeah, I agree, it's not like Atlanta is Spokane or Lansing. Thanks for the tip!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2011, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Hong Kong, Tokyo, an African city. I just don't think you'll have culture shock in the US.
I don't think I could ever do the Asia or Africa thing. I want to sow my wild oats some and I don't think those are the best places. What do you think would offer the most culture shock out of major U.S. cities?

Old 05-24-2011, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
So, maybe it's easier to go from Atlanta to Seattle than vice-versa, and maybe the OP is a liberal ITPer with more west coast-ish tastes and opinions, but seeing as he considers San Francisco "too 'out there'" I doubt that. I suspect he'd find culture shock in Seattle.
To be honest, I am going more for "vibe/mindset" culture shock than political. I wouldn't describe my self as an ITP liberal nor an OTP conservative. I am more just libertarian I guess. I have just heard that San Francisco people are just weird (and I don't mean in a political/liberal sense), as if they are on another wavelength or something.

Quote:
Hey, OP, you do realize Seattle gets less precipitation than Atlanta, on average? Admittedly, the skies are grey more often in Seattle, though.
No, I didn't know that. Could it be that there is always a drizzle in SEA, whereas when it rains it pours in Atlanta? Since you're from BC, is the NW weather as depressing as people say? Like did you know people who said that it affected their mood or noticed it yourself?

Old 05-24-2011, 07:02 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,386,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachtreeCornersMike View Post
I don't think I could ever do the Asia or Africa thing. I want to sow my wild oats some and I don't think those are the best places. What do you think would offer the most culture shock out of major U.S. cities?
I just don't think you will be culture shocked at all in the US. With small variances, it's a pretty homogenous country unless, perhaps, you move to a rural area.

Old 05-24-2011, 07:36 PM

357 posts, read 783,545 times
chicago, boston, nyc, washington dc, philly... I'd want to live in a city where I could rely soley on public transportation... maybe that would be a shock for you

Old 05-24-2011, 09:55 PM

227 posts, read 494,793 times
From someone who is actually from San Diego and is heading back next year. I definitely recommened it. SD has the great weather and nightlife you're looking for (especially in the Downtown/Gaslamp area). As for culture shock yes San Diego is a complete 180 from Atlanta but in a good way. Its a very laid back community with alot to offer. Much More Liberal presense. Alot safer and cleaner than Atlanta. Sports fans are about as fairweather as Atlanta (more Lakers and Raiders drones tho). There are many activites around the city for you to enjoy as well. You also have the option of driving to LA and Orange County (about 90 minutes to a 2 1/2 hour drive depending on traffic) enjoy they're city as well. I would advise having a good job to afford living but your becoming a lawyer it shouldn't be an issue (especially if you are moving alone cost of living isn't that bad).

Old 05-24-2011, 09:59 PM

Texas wouldn't be too much of a culture shock compared to Atlanta. I would also say if you're think Portland then Seattle would be a much better choice for the pacific northwest.

Old 05-24-2011, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by society619 View Post
From someone who is actually from San Diego and is heading back next year. I definitely recommened it. SD has the great weather and nightlife you're looking for (especially in the Downtown/Gaslamp area). As for culture shock yes San Diego is a complete 180 from Atlanta but in a good way. Its a very laid back community with alot to offer. Much More Liberal presense. Alot safer and cleaner than Atlanta. Sports fans are about as fairweather as Atlanta (more Lakers and Raiders drones tho).
I am having a hard time finding negatives about SD in my research. So far, I have:
1.) Lopsided girl-guy ratio (but not as bad as Denver)
2.) Expensive

Quote:
There are many activites around the city for you to enjoy as well.
What kind of activities?

Quote:
I would advise having a good job to afford living but your becoming a lawyer it shouldn't be an issue (especially if you are moving alone cost of living isn't that bad).
Well, that's the thing, I wont become a practising lawyer until I move back to Atlanta. To be a lawyer in SD, I would have to pass the CA bar (which is very hard and a PITA).

I do have a business degree though. I won't be picky on my job as long as I can "work to live" (I am getting the SD lingo down pat ).

The cost of living doesnt seem so bad as long as I live with roommates. What else is a lot more expensive there besides housing?

Old 05-24-2011, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by society619 View Post
Texas wouldn't be too much of a culture shock compared to Atlanta. I would also say if you're think Portland then Seattle would be a much better choice for the pacific northwest.
Yeah, the main draw of Texas is the nightlife scene in its cities.

I am considering Portland over Seattle because I have heard the weather is better there than in SEA.

Old 05-24-2011, 11:33 PM

Quote:
I am having a hard time finding negatives about SD in my research. So far, I have:
1.) Lopsided girl-guy ratio (but not as bad as Denver)
2.) Expensive
The girl-guy ratio isn't that bad, you usual have more men due to the fact its a military town. Wildfires and Earthquakes are issues depending on where you live, I also think people in Atlanta are a little nicer other than that no real big negatives you wouldn't find in Atlanta.

Quote:

What kind of activities?
San Diego is a very active town. People hike, bike ride (critical mass), jog, etc. As for in town activities you have Sea World, San Diego Zoo, Comic Con, Del Mar Fairgrounds, Old Town, Legoland, Petco Park, to name a few. As for hang out spots Gaslamp District in Downtown is very good, Mission Beach, Pacific Beach, La Jolla, Mission Valley Mall, and Fashion Valley Mall are great spots kill time and meet people.

Quote:
Well, that's the thing, I wont become a practising lawyer until I move back to Atlanta. To be a lawyer in SD, I would have to pass the CA bar (which is very hard and a PITA).

I do have a business degree though. I won't be picky on my job as long as I can "work to live" (I am getting the SD lingo down pat ).

The cost of living doesnt seem so bad as long as I live with roommates. What else is a lot more expensive there besides housing?
Rent is really the major thing in terms of cost of living. Gas is about 30 cents higher than Atlanta. Food is a bit higher but not much. Public Transit is cheaper than Atlanta. As far as ulitities they are pretty reasonable around the same price as Atlanta. As long as you can afford rent the rest won't really be an issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta