Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 07:50 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,415,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by livinginbuffalo View Post
"who wants to do the job of a lawn care worker so the hispanics take those jobs no one wants" argument. We have NO hispanics or any other minority for that matter doing lawn care in our area. The lawn maintenance (or landscaping companies as we like to call them) are owned by white people here and they also employ other white people here for the measly $10 an hour, if that. It gets many a college student a job during their summer vacation and there are plenty of white men are working those jobs as well. I just don't get the whole argument about no one wants those jobs so just let the illegals in. Who do you think is paying for their hospital bills when they go to the ER? How about who is paying to educate their children in our schools? There are lots of people in West Viriginia that would kill for a $10 an hour job. Flame away peeps but this BS doesn't fly with me.
If you make $10 an hour, your health care is still heavily subsidized or paid in full regardless of your legal status.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 08:02 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,894,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Well, that is a problem when people get paid more not to work.

Unemployment insurance is not getting paid "not to work."

SMH...

Old 05-31-2011, 08:26 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,316,809 times
My real question is: Where is the Conservatives' answer to NAFTA and the other Free Trade Agreements? These folks have been totally Missing-In-Action on those issues.

But I guess it's cheaper & easier to pander to lazy ignorant prejudice & fear rather than ask why so many blue collar & white collar jobs have gone overseas.

What a drag...

Old 05-31-2011, 08:41 PM

32,036 posts, read 36,857,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Unemployment insurance is not getting paid "not to work."
I was referring to your comment that:
But who's going to do that [take a farm job] when their unemployment probably pays more?
How else do you interpret that?

Old 05-31-2011, 08:58 PM

32,036 posts, read 36,857,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
My real question is: Where is the Conservatives' answer to NAFTA and the other Free Trade Agreements? These folks have been totally Missing-In-Action on those issues.

But I guess it's cheaper & easier to pander to lazy ignorant prejudice & fear rather than ask why so many blue collar & white collar jobs have gone overseas.
Haven't heard a lot of responses to that from the Dems, either. President Obama has signed Free Trade Agreements with South Korea and Panama and is working on one with Brazil.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:07 PM

8,488 posts, read 15,025,870 times
Quote:
"who wants to do the job of a lawn care worker so the hispanics take those jobs no one wants" argument. We have NO hispanics or any other minority for that matter doing lawn care in our area. The lawn maintenance (or landscaping companies as we like to call them) are owned by white people here and they also employ other white people here for the measly $10 an hour, if that. It gets many a college student a job during their summer vacation and there are plenty of white men are working those jobs as well. I just don't get the whole argument about no one wants those jobs so just let the illegals in. Who do you think is paying for their hospital bills when they go to the ER? How about who is paying to educate their children in our schools? There are lots of people in West Viriginia that would kill for a $10 an hour job. Flame away peeps but this BS doesn't fly with me.
Well South Georgia awaits for all of those people you say would kill for those jobs in the hot Sun picking crops. With the situation on the ground down there right now, they all will be drawing a pay check by tomorrow night. Guaranteed.

My bet though is that a very large amount of the crop will just rot in the field due to lack of people wanting to go pick said food and there will be a rise in food prices in Georgia by fall.

We'll see by October which one of us is right.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:30 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,430,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billl View Post
Yup, it's time for all of you who are certain that the illegals are stealing your jobs to race out and snatch up these highly lucrative positions! Go for it. This is exactly what you wanted.
LOL. We should send Bullbear, BringbackCobain, Suprascooby to these hot fields to work with PRIDE!! I'd love to see them tired, exploited and proud all at once.

Quote:
Well, it sure beats sitting around living on a government check. No, these may not be high status jobs but you get an honest day's pay for an honest day's work. So you get a sense of pride and the knowledge that you're putting something back into the economy. If we don't get those crops out of the field we're driving up the cost of food for others and hurting our farmers.
Agreed, in theory. But you know it's not going to happen. Even high school kids these days would rather work at McDonald's than the farm McDonald's got their eggs from.

Quote:
Ansley, yes it's hard work but Americans are tough. One good thing about these jobs is that they're seasonal, so people have the opportunity to get back to college or whatever they were doing before.
Again, let's see how it works. We'll see if the legal, less skilled Hispanics will bite. Unemployment is seemingly bad in Florida, maybe we'll get an influx of lazy Cubans to work the fields.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
We'll be here when you return from fantasy land.

Sorry, but if I'd lost my job and was on unemployment, no way in hell I'm picking peaches in the hot summer sun when I could afford to stick it out for a while and land a much better job. Unemployment insurance is not welfare.

And like people have already states, illegals wouldn't have had these jobs in the first place if legal citizens were willing to work them.
You hit it on the nail. These jobs are filled by illegals for a reason. No one else wants them.

Quote:
I'm just saying it wold be a great way to pick up some cash and help our farmers keep the cost of food down. If a better job comes along in the meantime then of course you can switch over.
Hmm ...McDonalds is hiring vs the farm having a few openings to pick peaches, pecans or onions. Let's say the pay is the same.

If you're a 16 yr old (dont get me started on a semi skilled 21+yr old), which would you pick? No brainer.

Sad to you. Reality for everyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
If our society wasn't so obsessed with telling folks on the low-end of the class spectrum that they hold no real value, then there would likely be more people running to work these jobs.

Think about it:

1. There is no true health safety-net for someone who may sustain back injuries as result of bending over repeatedly to picks crops.

2. Then there is the reality that these crop-picker wages never truly increase over time to match inflation.

3. There is no upward mobility on the farm. Once one is hired as a crop-picker, one pretty much stays being a crop-picker.

4. Very likely there is no real retirement plan for a crop-picker as that person wouldn't be able to make enough to both sock away enough money for retirement or have a decent standard of living off those wages...unless that person is willing to share a room with 10 other people.

These situations lead me to believe that there is just so much in our so-called "free-market" economy and in our society that humiliates the crop-picker every step of the way. So much so, that I don't see anyone who has a reasonable education level & knowledge of how awful America historically treats its poor jumping ahead of the line to take those kinds of jobs.

Only when the above listed situations changes will Americans start to see crop-picking as a respectable position.
I'd rep you again, but I have to spread the love around. Well said.

Quote:
You make it sound like we need these illegal workers.
Surely we Georgians are still capable of getting our crops out of the ground. We have been an agricultural state for 250 years.
It's obvious you're in denial. These illegals are there for a reason. Demand, and inability to fill the demand by the locals. If we Georgians wanted to pick our crops in the first place, there would be no need for illegals. Let's be real. It'll soon backfire.

Quote:
Did you just say West Virginia? That's all you had to say. Maybe you should alert West Virginian friends and relatives to go pick up these sweet Vidalia onions for dirt cheap. Maybe the locals would be up in arms. I'm just saying. Would there be backlash against West Virginian migrants?

I can imagine locals like Suprascooby getting mad over people from WV taking over their jobs, and changing Ga Southern tradition...

Old 05-31-2011, 09:48 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,993,934 times
If there was housing, I know some college kids would give crop picking a try. I sent one of my kids a link a while back from the AJC where they had interviewed a guest worker. He was making $192.00/day, sending most of the money home.

Put up some housing along the lines of camp dormitories, and recruit on college campuses. These kids could make some serious money in two months.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:57 PM

16,721 posts, read 29,587,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
If there was housing, I know some college kids would give crop picking a try. I sent one of my kids a link a while back from the AJC where they had interviewed a guest worker. He was making $192.00/day, sending most of the money home.

Put up some housing along the lines of camp dormitories, and recruit on college campuses. These kids could make some serious money in two months.

Now this is a solution.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:01 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,430,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post

Good idea Mattie!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta