Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2011, 09:44 AM

494 posts, read 1,191,951 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I'm going to be in the Buckhead area for a business meeting. My wife and 7 YO daughter will be coming with me. We will only be there for 3 days. I've heard of the Varsity, but I think that's a subway ride away.

Any more options? We won't have a rental car, but i understand the area is fairly walkable. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 10:17 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,644,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolio69 View Post
Hi,
I'm going to be in the Buckhead area for a business meeting. My wife and 7 YO daughter will be coming with me. We will only be there for 3 days. I've heard of the Varsity, but I think that's a subway ride away.

Any more options? We won't have a rental car, but i understand the area is fairly walkable. Thanks in advance.
Try Fresh2Order for Lunch or dinner one night: Welcome to Fresh To Order 'fine . food . fast .' - Fresh To Order Restaurants Atlanta, GA / Chattanooga, TN

Old 07-29-2011, 10:21 AM

50 posts, read 132,473 times
We stayed at the Grand Hyatt in Buckhead earlier this month, and several places were within walking distance. Install the Yelp app on your devices. It pinpoints your location and tells you what's nearby. You can search by type of cuisine, price range, family-friendly, etc. It's free, and our kids put it on their iPod Touches and they researched some of the restaurants and places to sightsee. Your daughter will probably like doing some of the legwork.

My son selected Buckhead Pizza Co., which had a good selection of pizzas and nice side salads. It is inexpensive, featured good service, and has a small outdoor dining area, which we found surprisingly comfortable in July.

My daughter selected MF Buckhead, which is a sushi spot that didn't seem family-friendly in Yelp, so we decided to go there for lunch. It is pricey, but the service was excellent and the sushi was good.

We also ate a few breakfasts at The Flying Biscuit (Terminus building location in Buckhead was much better than Norcross location). It is inexpensive, service was attentive, and everyone enjoyed the meals. There is a Yoguberry next door to The Flying Biscuit at the Terminus Building, and this is where we usually enjoyed a late evening dessert while sitting outdoors.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:33 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
There are a zillion dining options in Buckhead. Do you know where you'll be staying?

Old 07-29-2011, 11:28 AM

906 posts, read 1,746,612 times
Check out Flip Burger in Buckhead. It's a locally started thing by (more nationally recognized) Top Chef winner and Atlanta resident Richard Blais. Affordable, unique burgers. I see lots of families at the Westside location.

Flip burger boutique

FLIP burger boutique - Buckhead - Restaurant - Atlanta, GA | Facebook

Old 07-29-2011, 11:34 AM

197 posts, read 515,948 times
Yeah, there are a lot of places to eat in Buckhead. Do you know what part of Buckhead you'll be staying in? What type of cuisine do you guys like?

Old 07-29-2011, 03:12 PM

494 posts, read 1,191,951 times
Thanks for the suggestions thus far. We will be staying at the Wyndham on peachtree rd.

I stayed there a while back and found the walking ok. There used to be an espnzone that some of my coworkers walked to.

Always like to check out the local faves. Not really set on a certain cuisine. Like i said we want to make it to the Varsity since it was on the food channel.

Old 07-29-2011, 03:42 PM

197 posts, read 515,948 times
I think almost all of the ESPN Zones around the country got closed. If you like fondue there is a cool place nearby that is a lot of fun, it's called Dante's Down The Hatch

Dantes Down The Hatch - A jazz and fondue experience

This place is owned by Dante who is a real life Crocodile Dundee type of dude. There is a large ship inside the restaurant that you can sit and eat inside of and there are moats inside the restaurant that you cross over on bridges and the moats are filled with real live crocodiles. Dante usually walks around and talks to everyone and he will tell you stories of adventures he's had. They have a live jazz band as well and they play inside the ship. If you want to sit inside the ship I believe you have to make a reservation. The food is pretty good but it's probably not the cheapest place to eat although I don't think it's super expensive either. It's been a while since I've been there so I'm not sure what the cost is now.

Old 07-30-2011, 09:34 PM

2 posts, read 3,428 times
If you walk to the intersection of East Paces Ferry & Peachtree you should check out Cafe at Pharr and/or Cafe Agora.

Cafe at Pharr is a very popular lunch spot - mostly sandwiches, etc. Their chicken salad is one of their more famous creations. They make everything from scratch everyday.

Cafe Agora is an hole in the wall Greek/Mediterranean place. Very friendly owner with a wacky personality and the food is great. Here is a little article about them if you are interested: Review: Cafe Agora | Restaurant Review | Creative Loafing Atlanta

As the comments in the article state, the owner can be inconsistent on the pricing, so look at the menu before/if you decide to go because they are not readily available (as odd as that may sound...) but the food is soooo gooood!

More reviews:
Cafe Agora - Buckhead/Brookhaven - Atlanta | Urbanspoon

Old 07-31-2011, 08:35 PM

136 posts, read 255,879 times
My suggestions would be Fellinis pizza, Uncle Julios for mexican, Allu can eat specials at twist in phipps plaza on sundays i think....roasters in the plaza on lenox rd is good. And Taco Mac at lindbergh city center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta