Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 08:27 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,377,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityfilms View Post
Atlanta is a "sunbelt" city filled to the brim with East Coast people who couldn't make it up North.
cityfilms - Why do you continue to post such negative, hateful and belicose statements about Atlanta? Did you try but fail to make it in Atlanta and therefore hate it? Or are you very young, inexperienced in life and can think of nothing constructive to post? What is it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2011, 02:41 PM

759 posts, read 1,356,168 times
Atlanta is by no means an "East Coast" city:it's neither Coastal (c. 6 hours to any Atlantic coastline), nor particularly Eastern (further West than Cincinnati). Even Coastal towns like Charleston, Savannah and Jacksonville are generally thought of as Southern port cities, not East Coast cities. Southern Florida is FLORIDA, and most Southerners don't consider it a part of THE SOUTH, proper. The Tidewater/Hampton/Newport area could conceivably be considered the most Southerly of East Coast cities.
So what would you call Atlanta? Our family has lived here for five generations. We always called Atlanta a "Southern City", but since over three million Yankees have moved here in the past twenty years, I'm not so sure...

Old 09-22-2011, 03:14 PM

208 posts, read 419,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
cityfilms - Why do you continue to post such negative, hateful and belicose statements about Atlanta? Did you try but fail to make it in Atlanta and therefore hate it? Or are you very young, inexperienced in life and can think of nothing constructive to post? What is it?
I am 30 and have been here for 8 years, and moved here WITH a college degree.

I enjoyed my time in Atlanta after college, however, almost everybody that I met left atlanta because they didn't like itl or they moved on to a better city like Chicago or the midwest, especially around 2008 when economy got bad.

Yes, I did fail in finding a good employer. The particular industry I'm in, most employers are OTP, and I found the intelligence level lacking with every boss and almost every employee I've worked with... and that says a lot because I am from the south from a smaller city, but I do not think that Atlantans are any more intelligent, which I find odd, because you'd think they would be.

So yes, it is a little aggravating to move to a larger city and pay more and find that the people are very lackluster in intelligence or even basic civility.

I actually live right around the corner from Ansley, and sometimes I take walks through your neighborhood (It's the only place in midtown I feel safe at night - after 11 pm, alone).

I'm going to try VAHI, I might like it more... there seems to be more civilized acting people and it seems to have more character.... It helps that it's far from Marta station.

Old 09-22-2011, 03:42 PM

876 posts, read 2,277,703 times
I think of Atlanta as Eastern or Southeastern, but coastal, no.

Old 09-22-2011, 04:41 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,130,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.K. View Post
Atlanta is by no means an "East Coast" city:it's neither Coastal (c. 6 hours to any Atlantic coastline), nor particularly Eastern (further West than Cincinnati).
No, Cincinnati is due north of Atlanta.

But, I say yes, Atlanta is on the East Coast or Eastern Seaboard...just barely.

Old 09-22-2011, 04:51 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,936,259 times
It's practically the lower midwest. Atlanta is 50 miles from the central time zone. When the sun is up in NYC, Atlanta is still dark for a good 45 more minutes.

Old 09-22-2011, 05:07 PM

635 posts, read 1,509,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
East coast? No. Eastern city sitting on the cusp of the deep and upland south? Yes.

Many southern cities have "eastern" attributes. Even as far west as Houston. But when most think of the East Coast, they are thinking of the Mid-Atlantic and up, which in itself is very different from the southeast.

At the end of the day, Atlanta has far more in common with its southern peers than the urban areas of the north.
Not quite as it is the 9th largest msa and 10th largest csa, whereas the other cities in the south, the majority in the "deep south" oppose progress and growth

Old 09-22-2011, 05:23 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,331,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizurko View Post
Not quite as it is the 9th largest msa and 10th largest csa, whereas the other cities in the south, the majority in the "deep south" oppose progress and growth
I'm referring to its economical peers I.e. Houston, Dallas, Charlotte, Nashville etc

Old 09-22-2011, 05:40 PM

635 posts, read 1,509,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I'm referring to its economical peers I.e. Houston, Dallas, Charlotte, Nashville etc
Well there's are more energy oriented with the exception of Nashville, Atlanta not so much.

Old 09-22-2011, 05:44 PM

2,441 posts, read 7,006,914 times
No, Atlanta is not an east coast city. East Coast to me is from DC through Maine. Anything south of that is in the South. Atlanta has nothing in common with the more sophisticated cities of the East Coast. It doesn't have the attitude, the neighborhoods, the food, the arts, the money, or the efficiency of the East Coast.

Atlanta is about a 1.5 hour drive east of Central Time. This, by itself, would disqualify Atlanta as being East Coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta