Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 08:20 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,532,605 times

Advertisements

RainyRainyDay and mike7586...

tonygeorgia never said that ("never hot or cold..."). His post was in reference to a ghost rep that someone had sent him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 09:41 PM

927 posts, read 2,226,466 times
Honestly, as much as I love Atlanta, I wouldn't move from San Fran if I were already established there. Certainly being a tourist and being a resident are two different things. However, in the short time I visited San Fran I fell in love. I can objectively say San Fran is almost entirely better in every way for most things I'd want--more cultural offerings, better city planning, better public transpo, a prettier geography (I consider it the most beautiful American city) more density, more vibrancy, better state politcs, I could go on.

Nevertheless, this doesn't mean Atlanta fails in these things. Atlanta is my favorite city, no other major city has the kind of rich Black culture Atlanta has, and it's decent in the things I mentioned above. Just when I think of advice for others, those are objective standards that are probably important. If you were to move to the A, it is certainly cheaper and if you're active and like to go out you'd have no reason not to enjoy it.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:15 PM

749 posts, read 887,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike7586 View Post
Probably not. He usually has no idea what he is talking about, so it is always best to just skip over all of his useless posts.

Wow, how about you both read his entire post first?

Old 10-14-2011, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankster87 View Post
Wow, how about you both read his entire post first?
Indeed.

Old 10-14-2011, 05:21 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,892,331 times
Err, very sorry. good point Frankster and aries. My apologies to tonygeorgia. I guess I will go try to rep him to make up.

Old 10-15-2011, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
Err, very sorry. good point Frankster and aries. My apologies to tonygeorgia. I guess I will go try to rep him to make up.

Old 10-15-2011, 07:38 AM

2 posts, read 2,579 times
JulieSF- I moved to Atlanta for a great job promotion from Boston about 18 months ago, and I've really regretted it. The people in Atlanta are perfectly nice, but compared to Boston, New York, San Francisco and Chicago, Atlanta feels like a huge sea of strip malls and generic housing tracts lacking in wit and charm. The prime cultural pastimes are league tennis, mall shopping and attending bars with valet parking. If you do decide to come, I recommend looking at Midtown (though despite moving on the nicest street, I've been mugged twice - and there was home invasion at gunpoint last week), Decatur (becoming more walkable all the time - but the commute can be a bear) and Inman Park (see crime comments above). Please note that this is NOT a commentary on the people of Atlanta as individuals - but rather the prevailing culture of the community as a whole.

Old 10-15-2011, 07:46 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,793,602 times
I've lived in Atlanta for 16 years and I can't wait to get out. There are no jobs in my industry here, traffic is horrible, and its a transient city, so no southern hospitality. My Dad's side of the family is from here, and I was born here. I can't stand it anymore. The racial tension is horrible here too. As a white male, I feel discriminated against. Thats not to say I don't have African-American friends, I do. But I'd go to SF in a heartbeat. I'm also looking at Denver, Dallas, Austin, Chicago, Charlotte, Seattle, and other cities.

Old 10-15-2011, 10:39 AM

3,710 posts, read 5,988,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BosToAtl View Post
JulieSF- I moved to Atlanta for a great job promotion from Boston about 18 months ago, and I've really regretted it. The people in Atlanta are perfectly nice, but compared to Boston, New York, San Francisco and Chicago, Atlanta feels like a huge sea of strip malls and generic housing tracts lacking in wit and charm. The prime cultural pastimes are league tennis, mall shopping and attending bars with valet parking. If you do decide to come, I recommend looking at Midtown (though despite moving on the nicest street, I've been mugged twice - and there was home invasion at gunpoint last week), Decatur (becoming more walkable all the time - but the commute can be a bear) and Inman Park (see crime comments above). Please note that this is NOT a commentary on the people of Atlanta as individuals - but rather the prevailing culture of the community as a whole.
Sorry that keeps happening. I think the high-rise portion of Midtown is pretty safe (too much traffic and activity to mug people easily), but the neighborhood area has lots of places for criminals to stake out and take cover, and enough people walking around to make preying on victims worth it.

I really wish we could see a more robust strategy to take care of this issue. I even wouldn't mind seeing cameras at every intersection on Myrtle, Penn, Piedmont, Juniper, and Argonne. It's such a shame that a handful of thugs driving around and attacking easy targets can cause such major problems in an otherwise great neighborhood.

Old 10-15-2011, 05:57 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,022,098 times
San Fran is BEAUTIFUL. Probably the most beautiful city in America.

Beauty | San Fran>>>>Atl

Transportation | San Fran>>>>Atl (The Bart system closes early around 11pm-midnight. Marta runs until about 1am. The Bart is more expensive but it takes you to more places. Marta has less stations but it's cheaper. Plus you have to pay to park at the Bart stations during the week. Parking is free at Marta. (not talking about long term parking) If you ride from the San Fran Airport to the farthest point north it will cost you around $20 one way. It cost me $8 on a one way trip from San Fran Airport to Oakland

Firearms | Atlanta>>>San Fran You cant carry an open handgun in California

Weather | Depends on what you like

Nightlife | Atl>>> San Fran (San Fran last call is 1:30am lol) In Atlanta is 2:30am but most bars stop serving a few mins b4 3am. Plus we can party in the suburbs until 4am-6am) You cant drink alcohol in strip clubs in San Fran.

Cost of living | Atlanta>>> San Fran | San Fran isn't as cheap as Atlanta

Women | Atlanta>>>>San Fran | Didnt see that many cute women in San Francisco, not like you see daily in Atlanta

Taxes | Atlanta>>>>San Fran (Taxes are high in California)

Overall, San Fran is a beautiful city. If you are rich and can afford a house on one of those hills in the bay nothing else compares but if you are a regular person Atlanta is a better city. Atlanta is a good base. You can save more money here to spend traveling to San Fran and other places. If you live in San Fran you will probably not have that much extra money to spend on trips because of the cost of living

On the surface..... San Fran>>>>Atl

Long term...Atl>>>San Fran

Last edited by tonygeorgia; 10-15-2011 at 06:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta