Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 08:13 PM

1,050 posts, read 1,691,599 times

Advertisements

Why do people buy very expensive homes out in the suburbs and have long commutes into the city for work?

I just do not get why people buy 2 million dollar houses out in places like Sugarloaf, CCOS, River Club, etc., and yet they have to commute in the city every day! I know people who live out in those places and they commute every day to downtown, midtown, and Buckhead. These people could easily afford a nice home in Ansley Park, Buckhead, Druid Hills, etc. I get the whole public school thing but if you are spending that much money on a house you most likely can afford private school, and there are many people who live in these places that use private schools.

I could see if you were spending 400k on a house, four kids, and were going to use public schools. You would probably be better living in the suburbs then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2011, 08:15 PM

1,568 posts, read 1,552,021 times
The complete unwillingness and incompetence of large urban areas to deal with crime.

Old 10-26-2011, 08:49 PM

454 posts, read 821,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaLakeSearch View Post
Why do people buy very expensive homes out in the suburbs and have long commutes into the city for work?

I just do not get why people buy 2 million dollar houses out in places like Sugarloaf, CCOS, River Club, etc., and yet they have to commute in the city every day! I know people who live out in those places and they commute every day to downtown, midtown, and Buckhead. These people could easily afford a nice home in Ansley Park, Buckhead, Druid Hills, etc. I get the whole public school thing but if you are spending that much money on a house you most likely can afford private school, and there are many people who live in these places that use private schools.

I could see if you were spending 400k on a house, four kids, and were going to use public schools. You would probably be better living in the suburbs then.
I think a lot are swayed by realtors when they relocate. I know two friends who bought really expensive homes in the suburbs and never even visited Atlanta because they listened to the relocating companies realtors. These realtors of course love to push badly built mcmansions as they get builder kickbacks etc. Now years later both wish they had bought in Druid Hills/Buckhead etc for the same money.

Old 10-26-2011, 10:32 PM

16,702 posts, read 29,532,605 times
To each his own...

Old 10-26-2011, 10:54 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,060,376 times
Many reasons.....

Some people just don't like high density living.

Some people don't want to deal with the maintenance of owning an older home.

Some people feel it's safer for their children to play, ride bikes, explore, etc. in the suburbs.

Some people are conservative and want to be around other conservative people.

Some people want the convenience of big box retail nearby and accessible.

Some people want to be around other people like themselves, mostly with families instead of the wide variety of people and lifestyles you find intown.

Some people want to be close to golf, swimming pools, and other recreation.

I understand the question, but there are a plethora of reasons why someone might make that decision. When the real estate boom happened and people started moving back into town to escape suburban sprawl, a lot of people forgot to consider the problems of high density living. It all depends on what you want for yourself and your family. Some people just don't like the urban environment just as some don't like the suburban approach.

I'm the second kind of person you mentioned. Sure, I'd rather live in the city since I work there, but I have a three bedroom house in a nice community where I can spread out and have a dog in the suburbs. Maybe I could have afforded a 1 bedroom condo intown, but I'd be living in a shoebox throwing money away on Atlanta taxes and association fees riding an elevator and being asked for money every time my dog had to take a leak. I also knew Atlanta had a 10 year glut of condos, so I figured I better buy something I would have a prayer of selling if I decide to move anytime soon. I traded space for convenience and a better investment. But my neighbors in places like St. Ives, Country Club of the South, and St. Marlo certainly could have afforded to live wherever they wanted. They chose here.

No offense, but I think I speak for a lot of people here when I say that I'm getting really sick of the urban elitism on this board. Many of the urban dwellers seem to display the exact type of myopic vision they claim only exists in the suburbs. Atlanta may have sprawled out and not exhibited the smartest growth in the country, but both the suburbs and urban areas come with unique sets of advantages and disadvantages. People try to make decisions that they think are going to be best for them and make them the happiest.

Old 10-27-2011, 04:44 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,385,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
No offense, but I think I speak for a lot of people here when I say that I'm getting really sick of the urban elitism on this board. Many of the urban dwellers seem to display the exact type of myopic vision they claim only exists in the suburbs. Atlanta may have sprawled out and not exhibited the smartest growth in the country, but both the suburbs and urban areas come with unique sets of advantages and disadvantages. People try to make decisions that they think are going to be best for them and make them the happiest.
Excellent post.....

Old 10-27-2011, 05:47 AM

538 posts, read 926,180 times
Three words: schools, crime, taxes......

Old 10-27-2011, 06:26 AM

1,207 posts, read 2,813,430 times
In our situation, we needed a public school with good special education services.
And safety is a big issue when you have a child with autism.

Old 10-27-2011, 06:30 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,100,317 times
1) Schools
2) Schools
3) Schools

Old 10-27-2011, 07:10 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,911,642 times
Because all their country club buddies live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta