Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2018, 05:56 PM

294 posts, read 264,314 times

Advertisements

That place is a dump. Turn it to a Top Golf.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2018, 06:31 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,265,185 times
Just simply close it and demolish it. Reserve it as development space for new TOD mixed-use with office towers, as soon as the Gwinnett Place MARTA station finally opens in the year 2188.

Old 01-23-2018, 07:42 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,747,200 times
The issue is, demographics in the area have shifted dramatically and they didn't adjust to it. I'm sure an ethnic themed mall would do awesome in the area but they are trying to bring back an old demographic instead of focusing on a new one.

Old 01-23-2018, 07:45 PM

1,990 posts, read 2,362,619 times
Ethnic Mall = Santa Fe Mall

Old 01-23-2018, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton white guy View Post
Basically, with some Asain places too. That's what Greenbriar does with African and African American centered stores. Sell products that people in the area would actually buy. Southlake focuses on stores that cater to the lower middle class population of Clayton (places like Aeropostale, American Eagle, H&M), West End has discount stores.

Old 01-23-2018, 08:07 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,060,376 times
Quote:
Thank you so much, this is EXACTLY true!!!

I've watched this for a long time, and the Asian businesses saving the neighborhood doesn't work the way people think it would. What did MegaMart do for the mall? Nothing. It just made people confused having a grocery store in a shopping mall, a half a floor with ridiculously overpriced merchandise, and a third floor you're not allowed on.

What can save Gwinnett Place? I don't know, but I do know THIS: It isn't another Asian grocery store or Korean barbecue joint. Sure, they keep the buildings from being empty, but it's saturated. How many do you need? While many of these businesses keep up their exteriors and look fine, a lot of them are really quite bad for curb appeal. Take a look at the outside of Great Wall some time to see what I mean.

The reason people don't want to cave to letting Gwinnett Place mall become an ethnic mall is exactly because they DON'T WANT a Santa Fe mall. If you want to know why not, just go in there. It's an interesting novelty if you need a cowboy hat or quinceanera dress. But it's not really doing much for the area aside from keeping a building from going vacant.

The best thing would be to create some type of experience that draws from the diversity and make some sort of global village area that blends everything into a sort of fusion. So you don't have yet another Korean barbecue joint, you have a steakhouse that draws from Asian flavors. Stuff like that might be cool, but an ethnic mall wouldn't really be much better than what we have now. The ethnic businesses have had their chance to save the area, and they have failed.

Old 01-23-2018, 08:21 PM

What's wrong with Santa Fe Mall? From what I see, ethnic businesses are thriving in the area.

Old 01-23-2018, 08:33 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,752,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
What's wrong with Santa Fe Mall? From what I see, ethnic businesses are thriving in the area.
What's wrong with Santa Fe Mall is that Q-Zar closed five years ago. I miss Q-Zar.

Old 01-23-2018, 09:21 PM

11,805 posts, read 8,018,631 times
I used to live in Norcross in an apartment and I would go to Santa Fe Mall's dollar theatre.. ..yes...I said it... I was there!

Old 01-23-2018, 11:04 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,786,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I used to live in Norcross in an apartment and I would go to Santa Fe Mall's dollar theatre.. ..yes...I said it... I was there!
We would take our family to see movies there. Really not a big deal (North Dekalb Mall’s first run movies are pretty cheap now, so we haven’t been in a while).

As far as Gwinnett Place goes, a healthy Mall should feel like a person is treating themselves to something special when they go there. You can’t really do that with an indoor mall with empty storefronts. They need to find a way of scaling it down to something mangeable and presentable—either repurpose part of it as something other than retail, or tear half (or more) of it down. Maybe put in a park/Asian garden bordered by restaurants or an outdoor theater or something. Once you have scaled it down, then rename it as something other than a mall, so folks will have different expectations (“The Shops at Gwinnett Place Gardens”?).

Last edited by jeoff; 01-23-2018 at 11:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta