Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 08:05 AM

744 posts, read 2,483,822 times

Advertisements

In my opinion neither one of them will gives me a big city vibe. Though Peachtree City is bigger population wise it does not have a big town feel to it. It has a monied ,laid back , resort type feel ( I live here and absolutely love it !)
Tyrone is one of two towns in Fayette county that I feel really come across as the small ,charming ,old country towns that they originally were.
Senoia is the other one I'd put in that catagory as well - I really like to go and spend time in both of them .(Much of the movies "Fried Green Tomatos " and " Sweet Home Alabama " were filmed there ) .
Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2008, 09:54 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,115,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rizza View Post

I've been doing some research and it looks like both have pretty good school districts (inside Decatur's city limits). . I've heard there's a lot of crime in Decatur but does it stand out compared to other larger cities around the country?

We also have an office in the N. Druid Hills area - any thoughts?
There is no crime problem in the city of Decatur...in the suburbs south of Decatur, yes; north, no.

N Druid Hills is a good area, IMO...statistically, I've heard that the area north of Emory and south of I-85 has the lowest crime rate inside the perimater.

Your search for an apartment will be easier in this neighborhood...there's little to speak of in the city of Decatur; because NDH is the neighborhood north of Emory University, there are plenty of nice complexes around there that serve the university. And, with I-85 right there, you are minutes from Downtown, Midtown and Buckhead.

The best elementary school in the area is Sagamore (Briarvista gets mixed reviews). Oak Grove and Briarlake (in neighboring Oak Grove) are also good.

Are you open to renting a house? There's a neighborhood in NDC where you could likely find one for $1500.00 mo. It's called Briarcliff Heights (I have a lot of friends there)...it's a great location, and surprisingly hip for a suburban neighborhood. There are residents there that wouldn't live anywhere else.

Old 03-16-2008, 06:13 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,377,347 times
Hi, try Tyrone. It is much closer to the xprwy than Fayetteville is. Although Fayettevile is nice, as is PTC. The ride going into the city on 85 northbound around 8:00 takes me on average 35-40 min. from Tyrone, with a coffee stop at the Dunkin Donuts!! Being from Chicago, that is not a bad or long ride to me at all!! Just tune in to NPR on the radio, and I'm good to go!!

Great vibe, slower pace, great schools, friendly folks. Much success to you.

Old 03-18-2008, 09:55 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,496,439 times
Check with DeKalb PD on this.

Briarcliff Heights has had some crime.

Old 03-18-2008, 11:35 AM

OP--

You also might want to check with pdkwatch.org. This area is in the flight path for PDK airport. There is a number to call and report the noise--they are monitoring it.

Old 03-19-2008, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLienGirl View Post
To me, the City of Decatur is like the "fairy tale" part of Decatur; I say REAL Decatur because of how REAListically horrible it is. I have cousins that grew up in Decatur (the REAL) part of Decatur. As a native and from all my native friends, including the ones that grew up in Decatur (more specifically south DeKalb, Snapfinger Woods, parts of Columbia Drive, the OTHER part of Candler Road), say the same thing. That's how WE look at it.
Aren't you forgetting (or do you know) that there is an equally large area north of the city called Decatur as well? It happens to be very nice.

Old 03-19-2008, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
Check with DeKalb PD on this.

Briarcliff Heights has had some crime.
Over the last couple of years, maybe a couple of car break-ins and a robbery now and then. Certainly nothing out of the ordinary for a suburban neighborhood in NE Atlanta.

Old 03-19-2008, 06:54 AM

As you say, LovinDecatur, as you say.

Have a Great Day!

Old 03-19-2008, 07:00 AM

401 posts, read 1,733,746 times
I'd check out Medlock Park. I have a friend with kids in Medlock Elementary and they love it. The neighborhood is really cute and has a great park with baseball fields, a big playground area and a pool. The homes are very reasonable and it is safe. There are also lots of nice apartments in the Medlock District. Medlock feeds to Shamrock Middle and Druid Hills High - also great schools.

Old 03-19-2008, 07:08 AM

I think Medlock Park is very safe.

The nightly news is filled with frightening stories of home invasions. Elderly friends that live in the NE area don't feel as safe as they used to. The closer you are to the major arteries the greater the risk. We need more staff and $$ for law enforcement. jmo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta