Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 03:45 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,867,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I don't know about that.

The older single family neighborhoods up there are about the same density as say, Grant Park, Reynoldstown, Decatur, Morningside, Kirkwood, Oakhurst, etc.

All of those areas are considerably more dense than much of the south and west side of town.
Yes, there are some, especially between Peachtree and Piedmont... but when I think Buckhead, I think the sprawling acreage estates west of Peachtree all the way to the river and upwards to the city limits at Sandy Springs.... West Paces, Tuxedo Rd, Mt. Paran Rd., Powers Ferry Rd., et al. Same kind of estate lots on north of that into Sandy Springs as well. There are areas in Cascade and southwest Atlanta with huge lots, heavily treed undeveloped tracts... just as spread out and "undense." The City of Atlanta has some of the densest areas in the metro area for sure but at the same time some of the sparsest populated areas. Suburban areas outside Atlanta city proper have by and large much smaller lot sizes than some of these older established areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 09:20 AM

8,486 posts, read 15,006,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
But you are, in fact, telling people how to live when you say:

So what? It's a degradation to their lives, not to yours. Why do you care so much?

So? If this is correct, then the problem will correct itself organically. If you think it's so unsustainable, just sit back in your easy chair and watch it degrade.
SMH.

Don't worry, no one is going to make you do anything you don't want. It'll take care of itself in the long run. There is no unlimited supply of oil. It'll just keep getting more and more expensive. Those people who live in areas for which there is no other way to survive than without a car, will be "A OK" in the paradise.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:07 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,302,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post

So what? It's a degradation to their lives, not to yours. Why do you care so much?

I care because I have to work with people who are often stressed out from their 90 minute each way commutes.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:10 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,302,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
For the sake of discussion/understanding/clarity, I would like to see people give their opinions on what they would classify in Metro Atlanta as:

1. Urban - Downtown/Midtown
2. Suburban - Dunwoody
3. Exurban. - Cumming
responses in bold.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:33 AM

Back to the OP: I went on a thread in the General US page that is discussing this exact topic on a national level. Found out from there that Atlanta's added land mass included the Gainesville area now being included in the UA of Atlanta. Interesting as Gainesville is not in the MSA but Cartersville was listed as a new UA and Bartow County is in the MSA.

Making the point because the OP decried more acreage being taken over for Urban development, when a part of what was added was already urbanized, i.e. Gainesville. Gainesville has been a developed area for decades, so it is not like all of the area added was pristine forest mowed down for WalMarts and Home Depots.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:50 AM

8,486 posts, read 15,006,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Back to the OP: I went on a thread in the General US page that is discussing this exact topic on a national level. Found out from there that Atlanta's added land mass included the Gainesville area now being included in the UA of Atlanta. Interesting as Gainesville is not in the MSA but Cartersville was listed as a new UA and Bartow County is in the MSA.

Making the point because the OP decried more acreage being taken over for Urban development, when a part of what was added was already urbanized, i.e. Gainesville. Gainesville has been a developed area for decades, so it is not like all of the area added was pristine forest mowed down for WalMarts and Home Depots.
That's exactly why I'm not going any where near the national forums. Too much stupid over there.

Old 03-29-2012, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
That's exactly why I'm not going any where near the national forums. Too much stupid over there.
Actually that forum had a bunch of statistic geek types that were simply comparing changes in different UA patterns without the local opinions getting in the way, so actually found it refreshing and informative.

Old 03-29-2012, 02:23 PM

32,027 posts, read 36,808,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Yes, there are some, especially between Peachtree and Piedmont... but when I think Buckhead, I think the sprawling acreage estates west of Peachtree all the way to the river and upwards to the city limits at Sandy Springs.... West Paces, Tuxedo Rd, Mt. Paran Rd., Powers Ferry Rd., et al. Same kind of estate lots on north of that into Sandy Springs as well. There are areas in Cascade and southwest Atlanta with huge lots, heavily treed undeveloped tracts... just as spread out and "undense." The City of Atlanta has some of the densest areas in the metro area for sure but at the same time some of the sparsest populated areas. Suburban areas outside Atlanta city proper have by and large much smaller lot sizes than some of these older established areas.
Well, yeah, some of those areas where the big estates are have low density, but most of central Buckhead is about the same density as Grant Park, Reynoldstown, Decatur, Kirkwood, East Atlanta and other comparable intown neighborhoods.

It's really kind of interesting to see where the most densely populated areas of the city are -- probably not where a lot of people would think.

And there are many suburban areas that far more densely settled than large parts of the city proper.

Census tract 1142 in Roswell, for instance, has a population of 11,673 per square mile, compared to Tract 7704 in Cascade, with a population of 1,743 per square mile.

Mapping the 2010 U.S. Census - NYTimes.com

Old 03-29-2012, 06:14 PM

2,399 posts, read 4,220,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
For the sake of discussion/understanding/clarity, I would like to see people give their opinions on what they would classify in Metro Atlanta as:

1. Urban
2. Suburban
3. Exurban.

Furthermore, suburban could be broken down into inner, middle, and outer. And--outer suburb and exurb could be seen as one and the same.

The poster Stars and Strips Forever wrote a fabulous post a while back the perfectly outlined urban, suburban, and exurban Metro Atlanta (including sub-categories), but I can't find it at this time.

Thoughts/Opinions?
In-town: Basically anything inside I-285

Suburbs: Suburbs outside Atlanta city limits inside I-285, on out to the exurbs, which in a way are very low density suburbs or closely located satellite cities with enough connection to nearby suburbs.

Exurbs: Very low density suburban areas with just enough development to have slightly more of a suburban flare than a rural flare.

With that said:

Exurbs ( very low density-satellite cities excluded)

Ball Ground, Free Home, Lathemtown, Macedonia, Coal Mountain, Matt, Braselton, Carl, Euharlee, Taylorsville, Cartersville (satellite city), Locust Grove, Hampton, Senoia, Madras, Griffin (satellite city), Villa Rica, Temple, New Georgia, Winston, Fairplay, Emerson, Milton (parts)

Outer Suburbs (mostly low to moderate density)

Canton, Holly Springs, Milton (parts), Cumming, Buford, Sugar Hill, Dacula, Loganville, Grayson, Covington, Oxford, Porterdale, McDonough, Fayetteville, Peachtree City, Newnan, Sharpsburg, Tyrone, Dallas, Hiram,

Middle Suburbs
(mostly moderate density)

Woodstock, Acworth, Kennesaw, Alpharetta, Roswell, John's Creek, East Cobb, (parts) Suwanee, Duluth, Lawrenceville, Snellville, Centerville, Conyers, Lithonia, Stockbridge, Morrow, Fairburn, Union City, Powder Springs, Austell

OTP Inner Suburbs (mostly moderate to high density)

Marietta, Mableton, Smyrna, East Cobb (parts), Sandy Springs (part), Dunwoody, Peachtree Corners, Norcross, Lilburn, Stone Mountain, Clarkston, Lake City, Forest Park, Riverdale, College Park (part)

ITP Inner Suburbs (mostly moderate to high density)

Vinings, Chamblee, Doraville, Brookhaven, Decatur, Hapeville, East Point, College Park (part), Sandy Springs (part)

Old 03-29-2012, 06:50 PM

16,707 posts, read 29,542,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
In-town: Basically anything inside I-285

Suburbs: Suburbs outside Atlanta city limits inside I-285, on out to the exurbs, which in a way are very low density suburbs or closely located satellite cities with enough connection to nearby suburbs.

Exurbs: Very low density suburban areas with just enough development to have slightly more of a suburban flare than a rural flare.

With that said:

Exurbs ( very low density-satellite cities excluded)

Ball Ground, Free Home, Lathemtown, Macedonia, Coal Mountain, Matt, Braselton, Carl, Euharlee, Taylorsville, Cartersville (satellite city), Locust Grove, Hampton, Senoia, Madras, Griffin (satellite city), Villa Rica, Temple, New Georgia, Winston, Fairplay, Emerson, Milton (parts)

Outer Suburbs (mostly low to moderate density)

Canton, Holly Springs, Milton (parts), Cumming, Buford, Sugar Hill, Dacula, Loganville, Grayson, Covington, Oxford, Porterdale, McDonough, Fayetteville, Peachtree City, Newnan, Sharpsburg, Tyrone, Dallas, Hiram,

Middle Suburbs (mostly moderate density)

Woodstock, Acworth, Kennesaw, Alpharetta, Roswell, John's Creek, East Cobb, (parts) Suwanee, Duluth, Lawrenceville, Snellville, Centerville, Conyers, Lithonia, Stockbridge, Morrow, Fairburn, Union City, Powder Springs, Austell

OTP Inner Suburbs (mostly moderate to high density)

Marietta, Mableton, Smyrna, East Cobb (parts), Sandy Springs (part), Dunwoody, Peachtree Corners, Norcross, Lilburn, Stone Mountain, Clarkston, Lake City, Forest Park, Riverdale, College Park (part)

ITP Inner Suburbs (mostly moderate to high density)

Vinings, Chamblee, Doraville, Brookhaven, Decatur, Hapeville, East Point, College Park (part), Sandy Springs (part)
Awesome! And Thanks!

Do you have a link to the actual post/thread? I remember agreeing with you about 99.9%, I remember I offered a few slight tweaks...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta