Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 09:20 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,879,410 times

Advertisements

The 2010 Census declared that the Atlanta metro area saw the largest growth in size between 2000 and 2010. The amount of land grabbed up for low-density development is appalling, 683 square miles in 10 years. It is time for the Atlanta region to put growth limits before all the land concrete.
America's Growing Urban Footprint - Neighborhoods - The Atlantic Cities
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 09:33 AM

8,486 posts, read 15,006,323 times
I agree with your sentiment. HOWEVER

One thing this story doesn't tell is the shape of that growth. Mainly, the story implies that this growth of the urban area is even and outwards at all points from the original urban area.

In reality, the exurban expanse hugs the Interstate corridors tightly with little development past it the further out you go. In other words the Atlanta region isn't developed as one massive 28 county blob, rather a massive central blob with spokes radiating outwards.

Again, though, this is the only point on which I'll defend the exurbs. I find the entire idea of exurbs dumb quite frankly and I cannot understand why anyone would ever think it was a good idea to have an 80 mile commute each day. I also think the developers got drunk with greed pushing this model and ultimately led to the demise of an entire industry and helped spark a Recession.

Now, let me remove myself from this thread or any other about it as the above points will be lost on a lot of people. I also literally want to vomit when I see people use the word "Sprawlanta" seriously. I do not like vomit on my keyboard.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:34 AM

16,707 posts, read 29,542,355 times
http://s3.amazonaws.com/data.tumblr.com/tumblr_m1juelXlBz1qc63pwo1_1280.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId =AKIAJ6IHWSU3BX3X7X3Q&Expires=1333007306&Signature =4VReL87rAwGXJALM03y%2BxKpbYCc%3D (broken link)

Old 03-28-2012, 09:44 AM

8,486 posts, read 15,006,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
http://s3.amazonaws.com/data.tumblr.com/tumblr_m1juelXlBz1qc63pwo1_1280.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId =AKIAJ6IHWSU3BX3X7X3Q&Expires=1333007306&Signature =4VReL87rAwGXJALM03y%2BxKpbYCc%3D (broken link)
Breaking my rule to post on what a graphic that is. The "blob" is basically the City of Atlanta, the incorporated areas of Fulton county (which does not include most of South Fulton), North Clayton, Dekalb county, Cobb County, Gwinnett County. The rest of the urban area that connects to "the blob" is what causes the urban area to be as large in size as it is despite the menacing size of "the blob".

Old 03-28-2012, 09:48 AM

Quote:
http://s3.amazonaws.com/data.tumblr....y%2BxKpbYCc%3D (broken link)
Great graphic to explain your above post. The metro area is very much like an Octopus. A large body with tentacles along the interstate corridors.

Old 03-28-2012, 10:17 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,867,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
The 2010 Census declared that the Atlanta metro area saw the largest growth in size between 2000 and 2010. The amount of land grabbed up for low-density development is appalling, 683 square miles in 10 years. It is time for the Atlanta region to put growth limits before all the land concrete.
America's Growing Urban Footprint - Neighborhoods - The Atlantic Cities
I don't understand the argument against low density and then complaining about everything being concrete. Low density means larger yards and more green.

Buckhead within the city limits of the core city is one of the least dense areas of the metro area.

Old 03-28-2012, 10:43 AM

2,118 posts, read 6,379,057 times
I have yet to find another east coast city suffering so heavily from the effects of sprawl.

I do feel partly responsible as I keep moving further and further out.

Old 03-28-2012, 11:01 AM

32,027 posts, read 36,808,281 times
Some commentators now argue that the "city vs. suburb" distinction is dead.

For example, suburban populations have become increasingly diverse (more than those in cities in many cases). Poverty, including concentrated poverty, is rapidly suburbanizing. Suburban infrastructure is aging, so it won't be surprising to see them come up against the same kind of needs for major overhauls of water and sewer systems that cities have had to deal with. There's also a growing need for transportation and transit upgrades in the suburbs.

Here's an interesting presentation from Brookings that talks about some of these changes.

http://www.brookings.edu/~/media/Fil...esentation.pdf

Old 03-28-2012, 11:18 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,064,341 times
Just sit back, relax, and watch what happens.

You may not understand why someone would commute 80 miles. Someone who does that may not understand how someone can live in a shoebox in the city.

Whatever.

My pont is, we do not need any regulations dictating growth. It will happen organically as market conditions dictate.

I have much more faith in the invisible hand than I do Atlanta's legislative leadership.

Old 03-28-2012, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Buckhead within the city limits of the core city is one of the least dense areas of the metro area.
Are you talking about Buckhead area as a whole? The Lenox area and Peachtree Road Corridor are pretty dens, but the single family neighborhoods are very spread out.
Quote:
I don't understand the argument against low density and then complaining about everything being concrete. Low density means larger yards and more green.
Sea of parking lots to handle all the cars because most suburbs where not built with pedestrian or transit in mind. True suburban homes have larger lots, but those lots have bigger homes than older established neighborhoods. Its only recently that suburban development has focused more on pedestrians, but cars are still the major mode of transportation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta