Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 04:18 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,571,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I was told several times that metro Atlanta bought new cars "more often" than any other major US city. I would imagine this is made somewhat possible because of the lower amount of money spent on housing, but can't be sure.

I remember being "chided" by a few people for driving a perfectly presentable GM car with around 150,000 miles. I didn't care. I used it mostly to drive to the MARTA station and do errands. When I wanted to take a road trip, I rented a car at bargain rates.

Is this true? Does Atlanta still lead the US in new car "consumption" or has it ever?
I love my car Ill drive it til the wheels come off. I treat my ride like my kid. Well upkeep. Im not a Pars Car victim lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2012, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
There could be a lot of reasons Atlanta has high car consumption.

1) Maybe the climate that goes from decently cold to unbearably hot is tough on engines and causes them to fail sooner.

2) Maybe road conditions in Atlanta are not good and all the potholes and other hazards put more wear and tear on vehicles.

3) Maybe idling in traffic and stop and go traffic taks a heavier toll on cars.

4) Maybe Atlanta has more young people who are forced to have to upgrade to larger cars when their families expand more than in other cities.

5) Maybe all that pollen clogs air filters and makes cars die faster.

I'm a little weird about cars. I have an 8 year old Camry. I love it now every bit as much as the day I got it. If I ever have to rent a car in a new city, even if it is brand new, I still can't wait to get back into my car. It's the best running and most comfortable car I have ever owned. Maybe it's because getting a Camry was a huge step up for me, all throughout my 20s I drove reliable, but crappy cars. If you get a really good and reliable car, you can maintain it to where it will continue to be a great car for a really long time. I don't drive around some garbage car with bald tires, duct tape on the seats, and a bumper falling off. I keep it washed and waxed, everything maintained, and it's just as clean and comfortable inside as it was the day I purchased it. Maybe part of the problem is in our throwaway society people have forgotten how to maintain things.
????Im not allowed to give you any more rep points?? DID cd change the limits?? Ive only giving you 3 in the past...any way rep point.

Old 03-31-2012, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
If you don't plan on doing any offroading expeditions, there's absolutely no need to buy a rover except if you want to keep up with the Joneses. And even then, there's better less expensive choices.

$800 a month for 36 months would buy a brand new one of those less expensive choices in full if you stash it away.
Welcome to Altanta.

Old 03-31-2012, 08:44 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,049,092 times
Well said. It will also buy a decent house, even in areas like East Cobb that are considered nice.

Quote:
If you don't plan on doing any offroading expeditions, there's absolutely no need to buy a rover except if you want to keep up with the Joneses. And even then, there's better less expensive choices.

$800 a month for 36 months would buy a brand new one of those less expensive choices in full if you stash it away.

Old 03-31-2012, 09:05 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,803,640 times
$800 a month for a car boggles my mind but obviously there are a lot of folks with plenty of dough out there.

Old 03-31-2012, 10:39 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,865,336 times
I am trying to understand the purpose of this thread and the motivation for many of the posts.

Envy?

If someone has the income and can afford a more expensive make, what is the problem? Who cares what someone else drives? Why should it bother any of you?

Personally, I have owned 7 Hondas in my lifetime, fits my budget, good, reliable, fun to drive, economical. I bought 5 of the seven used, this last one I leased, got the top of the line Accord (had always had the more basic models prior). I love it.

But if I were in a higher income bracket, would love an S class Mercedes or an Audi 8. It isn't in the cards, but when I see someone driving one, I just admire it. I like my nice Accord just fine, am glad they are in their nicer car, but I don't have to start making value judgments about their lifestyle or mindset.

And what is with this term "new car consumption?" Makes it sound like it something bad that should be avoided. Our economy is strongly built on the car industry, we all suffer if the car industry suffers. Why wouldn't any of us, no matter our political persuasion, be glad that new car sales are up?

How about we start a thread on how much people spend on new clothes and pay exorbitant amounts on frocks that will be worn a time or two? Then let's say bad things about those people so we can be smug about our on lot in life by knocking them down a peg or two....

Old 03-31-2012, 11:27 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,557,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
I am trying to understand the purpose of this thread and the motivation for many of the posts.

Envy?

If someone has the income and can afford a more expensive make, what is the problem? Who cares what someone else drives? Why should it bother any of you?

Personally, I have owned 7 Hondas in my lifetime, fits my budget, good, reliable, fun to drive, economical. I bought 5 of the seven used, this last one I leased, got the top of the line Accord (had always had the more basic models prior). I love it.

But if I were in a higher income bracket, would love an S class Mercedes or an Audi 8. It isn't in the cards, but when I see someone driving one, I just admire it. I like my nice Accord just fine, am glad they are in their nicer car, but I don't have to start making value judgments about their lifestyle or mindset.

And what is with this term "new car consumption?" Makes it sound like it something bad that should be avoided. Our economy is strongly built on the car industry, we all suffer if the car industry suffers. Why wouldn't any of us, no matter our political persuasion, be glad that new car sales are up?

How about we start a thread on how much people spend on new clothes and pay exorbitant amounts on frocks that will be worn a time or two? Then let's say bad things about those people so we can be smug about our on lot in life by knocking them down a peg or two....
From 1000 miles to the west, I wondered some of the same things. I WILL say that Atlanta was a 'car city' back in 1980 when I moved there and it stayed that way until we left almost three decades later. I think one of the reasons folks can 'enjoy' their vehicles is the relative availability of nice fast-moving roads(IF you can get the congestion out of the way). When 400 and 285 are actually moving, it's a pleasure to be in a nice vehicle. AND it's relatively easy to keep a nice auto. Very little salt or sand on the roads, three weeks of nasty pine pollen and there you go! Also, most of the roads are designed for traffic...not little alleyways that can present all sorts of dangers to a nice paint job. Unless things have changed in four years, the roads around ATL are as good as I've seen in any of the eight states I've driven tens of thousands of miles in.

I think the Ad Valorem folks are mighty happy at the 'new car consumption' rate in north Georgia, especially Fulton County. I know we were paying over $900 a year for tag renewal since we had two new nice vehicles. Out here in Texas, we pay less than $150 total on $95K worth of vehicles. Nice NOT to be penalized so much for driving a safe, roadworthy, new-ish vehicle.

For those who DO decide to drive nice vehicles, there is a benefit to having multiple Lexus, Infiniti, Volvo and BMW dealers throughout the area. The market in Atlanta is MUCH more competitive than Austin(with its 1/3 the population). Not as much fun when there is only one Lexus dealer, one Volvo dealer, etc. I really miss Nalley Volvo and Nalley Lexus on Hwy 41 .

If it pleases the OP and as long as we can afford it, we'll drive very safe, roadworthy, reliable vehicles until the warranty runs out and then trade them so those thrifty folks can enjoy the benefits of our admittedly non-frugal approach to vehicles.

Old 04-01-2012, 05:20 AM

403 posts, read 620,069 times
I lived in South Florida for a while. Now that area really buys the high end cars. ATL seems pretty normal to me. Of course you see a lot of high end cars in flashy parts of town, but that true in every city.

Old 04-01-2012, 07:08 AM

454 posts, read 821,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaLakeSearch View Post
I have looked into leasing because I also own my business but it did not make since for my situation. On a normal weekday I drive at least 70 miles. I actually work from my house but I drive by a few of my rental properties(I own apartment buildings and houses in SW Atlanta and South Fulton) and, driving to my children's schools(one son goes in College Park(at least all my rental properties are on that side of town), we live in Buckhead). I also regularly drive to the Sea Island where my mother has a weekend home which is about 650 miles round trip, and I also go out to Birmingham a few times a year. If I did not drive as much I might lease. I think the $800 a month quote that comes up is for RR sport without the luxury interior, dvd, and there is another upgrade I cannot remember.(it might also only be for 10k miles a year)

What do you get charged if you go over your mileage? And WOW $500 a month is great for a RR.
Not sure on the over milage but the contract is 10k a year I from Hennesey Buckhead on a base model.

I said $500 a month true cost looking at the fact that the $800-900 payments can be written off at a 40% tax rate but to be honest I also charge 55 cents a mile back on expenses so its probably effectively free. I am guessing looking at your mileage and the fact you are going to rentals you can also write off the miles at 55c. Better make the Sea Island trip some kind of business research

Last edited by jpatlanta; 04-01-2012 at 07:23 AM..

Old 04-01-2012, 07:21 AM

454 posts, read 821,576 times
Quote:

Well I happen to like the RR sport and also have a 911 as well. Yeah I guess I could get something for half the price but I didn't want to. It is a nice thing to own obviously not a neccesity. I have mortage/house paid off/max SEP IRA etc so why not.

For what its worth Atlanta has a good amount of high end cars because the city is so cheap compared to peers giving a lot more desposible income. Its the people who finance things they can't afford that get into problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta