Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 02:36 PM

179 posts, read 325,250 times

Advertisements

I think I'm just going to have to make a nice, long list of different communities and drive around all of them during my 2 days here. Pick up a rental car at the airport and just make a widening circle, lol. If all else fails, I can just get a room at an extended-stay hotel for a couple of weeks when I move, even though those are usually not in the best areas of town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2012, 05:00 PM

2,047 posts, read 4,618,588 times
Quote:
You'll be in a very nice area then cross a street into some pretty sketchy parts of town.
This. And this happens in Atlanta more frequently than any city I've been in. It goes from sugar to, well, not sugar in a heartbeat.

Old 06-06-2012, 06:43 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,656,056 times
Where is your job? Where will you be working? To me, a long commute can erase any thing good or positive about a specific location.

Old 06-06-2012, 07:10 PM

18 posts, read 40,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldl5112 View Post
Hapeville, Decatur, Historic East Point, and Historic College Park, etc. are specific neighborhoods that were recommended here. I was talking to my coworker, and she was saying ABSOLUTELY NOT to all of those. Same with people on other websites. I take my coworker's opinion with a huge grain of salt, though, since she's very pretentious and thinks that she's going to be killed in her sleep if there's more than a couple of black people in a neighborhood. But with opinions from people on websites (here and elsewhere), I don't know whose opinion to give more weight, since I don't personally know any of these people.
@ldl5112---are you Single? (haven't seen you post about a concern with Wife/Children)--Yes ABSOLUTELY NO WAY--Hapeville, East Point, College Park (I went to Boarding School in College Park)--put it this way..black friend I have (Black area)---he got "chased back" to campus---by the "Townies"---not at ALL SAFE.....

Old 06-06-2012, 07:27 PM

Quote:
See, comfort is my biggest goal. I would like a place that I can comfortably walk to restaurants/cafes/coffee, etc., but I don't need a super high-end neighborhood. I prefer a more liberal area, but not necessarily to the point of being a stereotypical "hippy" neighborhood ("natural" stores I like, tons of patchouli and open marijuana sale/use - not so much). And most importantly, have a shortish commute to the airport, whether driving or via subway.
Make sure to check out Virginia Highlands area...BE WARNED---an "Apartment Reloator"---AR's won't even mention it to you, there's apartments in this area...but DEFINITELY NOT---your built in 2007 "New" feel.

All "Vintage"----But VA Highlands---is just laid back enough-but not to be "Hippy"/"Pot Smoker"---Little 5-Points (stay away--based on what you've said are your requirements---Virginia Highlands (by car)---is close----but V.A. Highlands is where the "homeless kids on Skateboards" hang out..(not sure if that's a literal statement--but the "vibe" you get---you know..the Tatt'd people, ear rings, nose rings---Again, me personally---don't mind----but definitely stay away from that.

Again, here's the thing though---if you're younger--want to try to get tapped in/meet people---Virginia Highlands---if you "Put yourself out there"---will find friends/people to meet---MUCH EASIER--to meet people in a Condo "Stack"--you rent.

A building I lived in Long ago---"Wesley Towsend" (30309) zip code---is *PERFECT*--if you're biggest priority--is "Meeting people" and "Easy Access to Airport"---you are literally one mile--from the 3-"Major" interstates--75/85/400

Nicer group of people. several pilots (ASA Feeder Pilots)--live there Interns for the closet hospital...(Piedmont)--Nurses for Grady---etc. It's all across the Board in terms of "People"--met some living there who were building a home---so "fit"---for them in retirement. DEFINITELY put that one on your list

*DO NOT* under any circumstances--put 26th street/Bryson Square on there--place is a ZOO---guess lots of Georgia Tech/Georgia State students live there...but the nonsense of Pulling Fire Alarm at 3-am.---someone *ALWAYS*--*ALWAYS*---average once a week--busting through the Security Gates----Crime is bad there. (find Cars on Cinder Blocks---when you come out to work--Stolen Tires--just NUTS weird stuff goes on....

At first i was gonna suggest Promove (apartment referral company). --but just based on "Hearing you"--and what I perceive you want---they won't find it....

HECK--soon as I close on my new place---you might like Mine---ITTY BITTY is an UNDERSTATEMENT--I mean its' TINY---but only paying $400-ish a month--free Power---only pay for Cable Bill--So....again, if Price is a concern--

Old 06-06-2012, 08:10 PM

Quote:
I can't really give you a Cali version, since I live in WA and have never lived in a large city. What I'd like is this: Somewhat liberal, safe enough that I probably won't get mugged if I take precautions, diverse, lots of restaurants.

@ldl5112--again, this describes Virgina Highlands *OR*--Buckhead Village.
*HOWEVER*--both locations are 'BIG City Living"--it simply "goes with the territory"--you might get broken into---or you'll know someone who is (again, unless you live in a tower)---To me--even when I was burglarized (not to get off topic/"Preachy"---but literally just said a "prayer" for whoever it was as "they know not what they do"....*STUFF* can always be replaced--that's what insurance is for...

In terms of "Violent" Attacks/Murders---no worries in the quadrant I've mentioned (don't get me wrong--they happen--but invariably--it's someone killing a wife/debt due..that kind of "nonsense"---not just simple "Random" shooting for no reason whatsoever----So, sounds like you have a good plan...have this thought out...as long as you "look like" you know you belong there---people will leave you along.

That's the *BIGGEST* misconception about Atlanta---Atlanta(Proper/City) is a VERY Much, VERY MUCH---"Live and let live" type Culture---*INSIDE THE PERIMETER" (ie 285 circle)---so you should be fine.

*ALTHOUGH*---I do have a friend that was YEARS AGO--like in the 90's was Mugged in V.A. Highlands--again though---Night time----walking up a dark street, etc.etc.

I'm not sure what you mean by a "LOT" Restaurants---but VA Highlands has a good handful--of Restaurants--in Highlands--all walking distance...

Again, cool thing with Highlands--People tend to sit outside...on their decks/lawns on Sunny Days---there is a "BEEHIVE BUZZ" of Activity...It's a VERY VERY laid back "culture" of people. (skews either a bit young--for the lower priced rental lhomes---and Retirement age old---fro Hownowers...

However in VA Highlands---TOTALLY 100% acceptable--if you saw someone out on the lawn---just chilling---could walk up--introduce yourself--ask for whatever (Restaurant advice)---people will be very friendly---Flip side---don't expect a neighbor---to come knock on your door to introduce themselves..ya know

And, since you said "Liberal"--I'm guessing you do not have problems with Sexual Orientation, there's a small (but very noticeable)--Population of Heterosexuals (again, for me--I could care less--where I live now...guy above me is---have several friends that are)_---But, you don't notice it/not "in your face"---and tend to lean more old/reaching retirement age---for the Gay population in V.Highlands

Decatur is another good advice...but you have to be *VERY CAREFUL* where you plant there---it can go by "street"---whats good/what's bad.

Again, since you're new---last place I lived--was first time I lived in a tower--took a few weeks to get "use to" (so I didn't feel like I was living in a Hotel)--but SO SO EASY--to meet people--as you are riding the elevator--start a conversation--etc.etc...or socials...meet people....easiest place I've ever had making friends--just cause I'm an outgoing guy--I tend to meet my "Immediate" neighbors....in an "True Apartment"---but in a Tower---you can meet the 10th floor neighbor your floor neighbor, etc. Really "easy"

Last post--written too much already---food was delivered almost 2-hours ago! My Dog is confused why I've not started to eat yet..*grin*

Last edited by Thedude2009; 06-06-2012 at 08:21 PM..

Old 06-07-2012, 07:28 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,851,746 times
Wow dude, I live in Kirkwood moved here 1 year ago. The area is nice, the people are nice. My wife and constantly walk home from the MARTA or kirkwood business district with no problems. There are always moms walking their dogs and strollers. So please do not spew your urban hate on this board . There are several nice neighborhoods in Atlanta. To the OP, take a couple days and visit various intown neighborhoods. Visit them both during the day and night to get a good feeling of the area. Stop and talk with the locals and ask questions.

Old 06-07-2012, 07:31 AM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,522 posts, read 2,242,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post
Basically that is downtown Decatur or Midtown.
There are other neighborhoods with the amenities you are describing, but you still have to drive. It depends on where in California you are from, but Atlanta is a lot more like LA than SF.
Or Castlleberry Hills.....

Old 06-07-2012, 08:09 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
I never cease to be amazed at the narrow (and naive) perspective so many folks have about our town. It's as if everything happens within a few zip codes.

Old 06-07-2012, 01:55 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
removed - discussing other posters.

Wanted to add that not everything under 20 is horrible either. It really irks me when people say that as there are some very nice places to live under 20. If we decide to stay in Atlanta, we are looking at buying a house in the Cascade area, which is black put very nice and quiet and is more like the suburbs than the city, just not as far and not as much traffic. The only good thing about that "bad" reputation is that gentrifiers don't move in and drive up prices as much and you can still find a good 3-4 bed 2-3 bath house on an acre for $100K or less down there in a quiet neighborhood.

removed - discussing other posters. And I could tell you some stories about 30309. I work in housing and we have properties over there and they have just as much if not more property crime than other neighborhoods in Atlanta with bad reputations.

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 06-07-2012 at 08:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta