Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2012, 10:48 PM

1,050 posts, read 1,691,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
It's not the norm to own a $45,000 car...the average salary is not even that high. It might be the norm for the people around you, but it's not representative of the entire city.
It is not the norm to own a 45k car when your income is 60-80k.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2012, 07:54 AM

225 posts, read 369,082 times
Never in my life have I seen so many Toyatos= Mercedes, Hondas= BMW, and Tahoes=Range Rovers driven around a city. I can be at a stop light, and can spot at least seven mixture of these vehicles in one minute.

I believe that there is a slight flashiness to the city, not in regards to cars of course, but from observations that I have seen when exploring the ATL metro region. I think there is a flashiness from Buckhead condos, to lake windward, to sugar loaf cc, to camp creek, to cascade, to east Cobb, back to midtown. Even in media, Atlanta is becoming a exclusive city in regards to wealth, power, class, and so on.

But I also believe that buying, under certain circumstances, a new car shouldn't be seen as boastful, or flashy. Its a matter of personal choice and style, one might not like the box looking Toyato Camry but would prefer the nice sports car. However What I do have a problem with is seeing is this.

For Example, 2002 - 2004 BMW 7 series, you can pay the base price of 10-12k for it but you cannot maintain it. Brakes are scrubbing, car making noise, service engine light on. And the same with Mercedes CLK, the earlier E class, same issue. AND those are the cars I see mostly driven around ATL. So this is where the notion of being flashy is prevalent here, you riding it but cant maintain it. Or you crediting that card, however on your credit report, debt to high ratio is 99.9 percent.

Old 09-15-2012, 02:10 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,184,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CollegeStudentinAtl View Post
For Example, 2002 - 2004 BMW 7 series, you can pay the base price of 10-12k for it but you cannot maintain it. Brakes are scrubbing, car making noise, service engine light on. And the same with Mercedes CLK, the earlier E class, same issue. AND those are the cars I see mostly driven around ATL. So this is where the notion of being flashy is prevalent here, you riding it but cant maintain it. Or you crediting that card, however on your credit report, debt to high ratio is 99.9 percent.
Goes back to my post when I said ENTRY LEVEL BMW. i.e-3series. That what you see. Same thing with Volvo, i.e. S40.

Old 09-15-2012, 02:17 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,426,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaLakeSearch View Post
It is not the norm to own a 45k car when your income is 60-80k.
It is unwise to buy a car that expensive on such a salary, but many people overextend themselves anywhere "trying to keep up with the Joneses."

Old 09-15-2012, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaLakeSearch View Post
She could be legitimately wealthy. Do successful woman intimidate you?
I doubt it has anything to do with being intimidated, people can be shallow and have a way of trying to make people feel inadequate. You may say--"No one can make you feel inadequate". Well, that sounds good but it's not the cause. Similar to the lie we were told as kids---something to the tune of "sticks and stones.......words will never hurt me". Words do hurt and they can hurt for a lifetime. People do try to put people in a box and place them where they feel YOU belong. Adults can be and are very often shallow. It has nothing to do with race or gender.

I'm a quiet guy, not flashy but I have a VAST amount of experience and have attained a great deal of career success. I come from a family that is VERY successful. But based on my low key style, most "WANNA BE" affluent people "dismiss" me.............little do they know. :0) So, no it's not about intimidation, it's about being shallow or lacking in character. When you've been around success all of your life and you've attained success, your outlook is MUCH different from "new money". New Money is all about external appearances and social status. Mediocre people acting "Top shelf".

Last edited by Ron.; 09-15-2012 at 04:26 PM..

Old 09-15-2012, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berkeleylake View Post
It is unwise to buy a car that expensive on such a salary, but many people overextend themselves anywhere "trying to keep up with the Joneses."
I KNEW a girl that FILED for bankruptcy, makes about $14/hr and drives a 2011 Camery.

Old 09-15-2012, 09:18 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,339,761 times
Our society is becoming increasingly materialistic, and the "new money culture" is becoming more and more pervasive.

I believe that everyone should treat themselves when they can, but using these luxury items to symbolize your own inflated sense of self-worth only makes you look like a fool to those of us who know better.

Old 09-15-2012, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Our society is becoming increasingly materialistic, and the "new money culture" is becoming more and more pervasive.

I believe that everyone should treat themselves when they can, but using these luxury items to symbolize your own inflated sense of self-worth only makes you look like a fool to those of us who know better.
I like to call them "Groupies".

Last edited by Ron.; 09-15-2012 at 10:35 PM..

Old 09-17-2012, 11:25 AM

38 posts, read 62,814 times
Interesting topic! I recently made a trip to my company's office in ATL and was amazed by the amount of Audi's, Land Rovers and etc that passed me on 400 compared to what I see daily in SC. My thoughts were "either the people in ATL make a lot of money, or folks are living above their means." To a young person not used to having much money or success, I can see how easy it could be to fall into debt by keeping up with society in that area. The flashiness seems to be a norm..

Old 09-17-2012, 01:15 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,136,869 times
That's why people move to Atlanta. So they can show their friends how big of a house they have because it's cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta