Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 07:00 PM

994 posts, read 1,541,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
If you don't mind me asking, but what is a #!@*&^ job?
It's intended to represent an expletive of your choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2012, 08:29 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hautemomma View Post
It's intended to represent an expletive of your choice.
Sounds like a really bad job to me. Love your name, BTW.

Old 06-22-2012, 09:45 PM

51 posts, read 89,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah View Post
Depends on your field. Many professional fields have picked up a lot including IT, Accounting etc. With his IT background he would probably do well but it certainly is difficult when you don't live here as you have found out. We eventually decided we had to move first.
So when you moved did you live with friends or family first ir were you able to rent a place right away?

Old 07-13-2012, 04:04 AM

7 posts, read 10,214 times
I've been in Atlanta for 6 years now. I came here with over 10 years Admin experience in New York and have yet to find anyone willing to even give me an interview in my field. I have a friend who has a degree in Medical Assisting as well as recent certifications, she also interned for one of the best hospitals in NYC before she moved here 3 years ago. STILL hasn't found a job in her field. My boyfriend worked for Cox in Florida for 3 years as a cable technician before he was laid off, moved to Atlanta 2 years ago with winning references and can't even get any company worth mentioning to consider him for an interview. Even closer to your specific situation-I have a friend who actually has a BS degree in IT, over 10 years experience, relocated to Atlanta 4 years ago from Baltimore, STILL hasn't found a job in his field.

I can go on forever with all of the examples of those of us who relocated from other cities in hope of finding better career opportunities, and an overall better life here in Atlanta due to all the great articles about this place, to no avail. What became of all of the people I named?? Well I and the medical assistant friend-have resorted to working retail-something we NEVER did back home-for a little over minimum wage. My boyfriend, he went back to his former hustle of bouncing/door security at clubs, which can be sporadic at best. My IT friend found a job recently in insurance. Not his field at all, but it's paying his bills, so he's not complaining.

I think the main problem here is nepotism-it's less WHAT you know and more WHO you know. I've seen it with my own eyes. I've seen a company advertise for an opening, go through the process of interviewing qualified applicants, only for them to turn around and hire the Supervisor's best friend or the Manager's cousin. Shoot, the lowly job I just acquired in retail only hired me because they mistakenly thought I was related to one of their Supervisors-I couldn't make this stuff up! SMH. I will tell you what my friends and I have in common here-we all don't really know anyone here in Atlanta. So here's my advice to you: Pimp the heck outta those local contacts you have, call in favors, chummy up and rub elbows with higher-ups in those companies you believe you and the Hubby can make a difference in and get it so where you are so much a shoe-in for the position(s), the interview is only a formality at that point. Because Honey, your Master's degree can't get you anywhere in Atlanta like knowing the right people can.

Otherwise, I'd say set your sights on somewhere else. I know I am. It's a shame too, this place is so charming, and definitely a beautiful place for my daughter, and we'll miss it, but I can be a much better Mommy if I have a GREAT job...

Old 07-13-2012, 08:59 AM

47 posts, read 44,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredoftheATL View Post
I've been in Atlanta for 6 years now. I came here with over 10 years Admin experience in New York and have yet to find anyone willing to even give me an interview in my field. I have a friend who has a degree in Medical Assisting as well as recent certifications, she also interned for one of the best hospitals in NYC before she moved here 3 years ago. STILL hasn't found a job in her field. My boyfriend worked for Cox in Florida for 3 years as a cable technician before he was laid off, moved to Atlanta 2 years ago with winning references and can't even get any company worth mentioning to consider him for an interview. Even closer to your specific situation-I have a friend who actually has a BS degree in IT, over 10 years experience, relocated to Atlanta 4 years ago from Baltimore, STILL hasn't found a job in his field.

I can go on forever with all of the examples of those of us who relocated from other cities in hope of finding better career opportunities, and an overall better life here in Atlanta due to all the great articles about this place, to no avail. What became of all of the people I named?? Well I and the medical assistant friend-have resorted to working retail-something we NEVER did back home-for a little over minimum wage. My boyfriend, he went back to his former hustle of bouncing/door security at clubs, which can be sporadic at best. My IT friend found a job recently in insurance. Not his field at all, but it's paying his bills, so he's not complaining.

I think the main problem here is nepotism-it's less WHAT you know and more WHO you know. I've seen it with my own eyes. I've seen a company advertise for an opening, go through the process of interviewing qualified applicants, only for them to turn around and hire the Supervisor's best friend or the Manager's cousin. Shoot, the lowly job I just acquired in retail only hired me because they mistakenly thought I was related to one of their Supervisors-I couldn't make this stuff up! SMH. I will tell you what my friends and I have in common here-we all don't really know anyone here in Atlanta. So here's my advice to you: Pimp the heck outta those local contacts you have, call in favors, chummy up and rub elbows with higher-ups in those companies you believe you and the Hubby can make a difference in and get it so where you are so much a shoe-in for the position(s), the interview is only a formality at that point. Because Honey, your Master's degree can't get you anywhere in Atlanta like knowing the right people can.

Otherwise, I'd say set your sights on somewhere else. I know I am. It's a shame too, this place is so charming, and definitely a beautiful place for my daughter, and we'll miss it, but I can be a much better Mommy if I have a GREAT job...

What articles were you reading that said this place had a good job market? I am just wondering.

Old 07-13-2012, 11:58 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,438,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Economicsman View Post
What articles were you reading that said this place had a good job market? I am just wondering.
Remember she said they moved here 6 years ago and a few years ago there still were some big time business magazines out there praising the economic and business climate of metro Atlanta. Since the housing market collapse which really really hit Atlanta hard you don't really see that kind of publicity anymore.

Old 07-13-2012, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Economicsman View Post
LOL, believe it or not, back in 2006 when I 1st moved here, there were tons of articles touting Atlanta as one of the fastest growing cities in employment. This was of course, immediately before the housing market crash, Lehman Bros and the like went way belly-up, and it was also listed as one of the greatest cities for upward mobility for African-Americans, which of course appealed to me as an African American. I've spoken to several locals that said Atlanta wasn't always like this-as far as being difficult to find gainful unemployment, so I guess I just chose the wrong place at the wrong time...

Old 07-13-2012, 12:20 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,438,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredoftheATL View Post

Although I think it's true there's plenty of nepotism and in town cronyism at work in Atlanta, I don't think it's the main problem. The main problem is there are simply way more people here looking for jobs than there are jobs available. Atlanta was one of the biggest beneficiary's of the whole fake economic boom created when the government spurred economic activity by lowing interest rates and pushing house ownership. Everybody jumped on board building and buying knew housing as fast as they could. Pure speculation was at work. As long as people kept building and building the construction, banking, and real estate markets boomed. This pushed regional population growth that brought in retail and corporate administration jobs.

Now that all that's cooled over Atlanta is not benefiting as much from a growth in manufacturing and IT jobs taking place now because it really doesn't compete as well with alot of other cities in those categories.

If there's any saving grace for Atlanta I think it's going to come from two places. Georgia Tech and Savannah. That's right. Georgia Tech is using it's status as one of the nations top engineering schools and a major research center (struggling to become a bigger player in the research world) to try and break into the nano technology realm and through it medical technology fields with a research center in that area. It also has an initiative in place that tries to help start up technology firms be established and prosper.

Savannah is expanding it's port to become one of the few in the world that can handle the new class of super freighters coming onto the scene. This will help it increase activity at it's already very busy ports. Savannah along with Brunswick are helping make Ga. a truly international economic State by increasing export business. As more companies get involved with exporting products from Georgia, Atlanta is sure to benefit greatly.

Last edited by Galounger; 07-13-2012 at 12:39 PM..

Old 07-13-2012, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
Remember she said they moved here 6 years ago and a few years ago there still were some big time business magazines out there praising the economic and business climate of metro Atlanta. Since the housing market collapse which really really hit Atlanta hard you don't really see that kind of publicity anymore.
Thank you! Yes, I remember even reading Forbes' yearly "The Top 10 Cities For Employment" article and Atlanta was either number 2 or 3 back then. And Atlanta got hit extremely hard in the crash. I went from seeing my little neighborhood in Decatur thrive with people, to 3/4's of my neighbors mysteriously disappearing with "For Sale" signs up on their houses offering it up for pennies on the dollar. I feel for them. Some of my neighbors owned their homes for decades.

Now Forbes is touting Minneapolis. I went to their craigslist want ads, and I have to say, I don't think I've seen so many jobs offered in one place on the same day before. WOW...Maybe the Midwest is calling me...

Old 07-13-2012, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
Although I think it's true there's plenty of nepotism and in town cronyism at work in Atlanta, I don't think it's the main problem. The main problem is there are simply way more people here looking for jobs than there are jobs available. Atlanta was one of the biggest beneficiary's of the whole fake economic boom created when the government spurred economic activity by lowing interest rates and pushing house ownership. Everybody jumped on board building and buying knew housing as fast as they could. Pure speculation was at work. As long as people kept building and building the construction, banking, and real estate markets boomed. This pushed regional population growth that brought in retail and corporate administration jobs.

Now that all that's cooled over Atlanta is not benefiting as much from a growth in manufacturing and IT jobs taking place now because it really doesn't compete as well with alot of other cities in those categories.

If there's any saving grace for Atlanta I think it's going to come from two places. Georgia Tech and Savannah. That's right. Georgia Tech is using it's status as one of the nations top engineering schools and a major research center (struggling to become a bigger player in the research world) to try and break into the nano technology realm and through it medical technology fields with a research center in that area. It also has an initiative in place that tries to help start up technology firms be established and prosper.

Savannah is expanding it's port to become one of the few in the world that can handle the new class of super freighters coming onto the scene. This will help it increase activity at it's already very busy ports. Savannah along with Brunswick are helping make Ga. a truly international economic state by increasing export business. As more companies get involved with exporting products from Georgia Atlanta is sure to benefit greatly.
Well it sounds like you know your stuff! And I wholeheartedly agree with you. There are so many qualified people here and not enough jobs to go around. A whole lotta transplants, especially. Do you know I was here for almost 3 years before I met my 1st real live person born and raised in Atlanta? LOL. I've actually met more NYk'rs here than Atlantans. Which is kinda disheartening. I moved here to GET AWAY from you people(NYk'rs, that is)...LOL! Well with that said, I guess my stepson is headed in the right direction. He has chosen to take up engineering of some sort, and is one of the best HS students here in Georgia. He's part of an engineering program that's sending him overseas for a semester. If my ex husband decides to stay in Atlanta, that'll be a huge plus for him. I'll definitely pass this info onto him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta