Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 07:08 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,896,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Edgewood Ave is improving. A new Chicago based chicken restaurant recently opened on Edgewood and I got to check it out. I saw a new more places opening up soon. This area is definitely improving
The neighborhood of Edgewood, not the road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 12:49 PM

449 posts, read 1,176,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizchick86 View Post
What makes them goons?
They claim to have robbed, killed, sold dope, etc

Old 08-21-2012, 12:40 PM

80 posts, read 132,835 times
So, after having been in the new house for a week now I can say some folks interpretations of "sketchy" need some serious realignment. The place I am in, and the area around it (south of the Edgewood station) would easily be where the young to middle-aged folks flock to fearlessly in my old city.

There is a ton of traffic, but since this is right next to the train station and the street I am on leads further south this is to be expected. I have seen more than a few police officers, and have wondered what they were looking for each time (I think I've heard a siren once). I do not doubt it gets legitimately sketchy the further south you go, but even so I think some folks have an incredibly LOW tolerance for. . .shall we say "urban" individuals (they would be downright terrified to live in my old spot).

Old 08-21-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
So, after having been in the new house for a week now I can say some folks interpretations of "sketchy" need some serious realignment. The place I am in, and the area around it (south of the Edgewood station) would easily be where the young to middle-aged folks flock to fearlessly in my old city.

There is a ton of traffic, but since this is right next to the train station and the street I am on leads further south this is to be expected. I have seen more than a few police officers, and have wondered what they were looking for each time (I think I've heard a siren once). I do not doubt it gets legitimately sketchy the further south you go, but even so I think some folks have an incredibly LOW tolerance for. . .shall we say "urban" individuals (they would be downright terrified to live in my old spot).
What I was trying to say all along. I have walked home from Edgewood station down Mayson Ave at midnight and had no problems. Some people are just scared when they see an urban setting. Glad you are enjoying Edgewood. If your looking for a great gastropub, come over to Downtown Kirkwood and try The Pullman The Pullman - Pub, weekend brunch - Kirkwood, GA | Facebook

Old 08-21-2012, 02:13 PM

164 posts, read 375,894 times
I drive around that area quite a bit and what is technically called Edgewood per Google maps is not the greatest area, but it is gentrifying (i.e. not super ghetto).

For that entire area; as a general rule anything north of Dekalb Ave (Inman Park, Candler Park, lake Claire, Decatur) is in better shape than what lies south of Dekalb (Edgewood, Kirkwood, East Atlanta, Cabbagetown, Reynoldstown). However, this is a general rule and these gentrifying neighborhoods change street by street. There are some very pretty homes in Kirkwood, Oakhurst, Reynoldstown, etc. What it comes down to is price you are willing to pay and if you have kids. The prices are lower south of Dekalb but crime is marginally higher on average and schools are not as good.

In my opinion, the further south you go from Dekalb the worse the area looks. The areas around Memorial Drive seem to look the worst.

Edgewood does have the Edgewood shopping district on Moreland, which is quite nice (has Target, Kroger, Lowes, Petco, Barnes and noble, Best Buy, etc.)

Old 08-21-2012, 02:25 PM

738 posts, read 1,378,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANDS! View Post
I do not doubt it gets legitimately sketchy the further south you go, but even so I think some folks have an incredibly LOW tolerance for. . .shall we say "urban" individuals (they would be downright terrified to live in my old spot).
It gets sketchier closer to Memorial, and it also gets sketchier to the east, around Edgewood Courts apartments, down at the end of Hardee St / Foote St. There's constant crime in that area. Otherwise, you should be good.

Old 08-21-2012, 02:32 PM

Stay away from Edgewood Court!
Quote:
For that entire area; as a general rule anything north of Dekalb Ave (Inman Park, Candler Park, lake Claire, Decatur) is in better shape than what lies south of Dekalb (Edgewood, Kirkwood, East Atlanta, Cabbagetown, Reynoldstown).
That's because the CSX tracks are the historic color line. Also, those areas are zoned for Grady cluster so be prepared to pay a lot for a little. Kirkwood and East Lake are a couple steps above Cabbagetown, Reyonldstown, and Edgewood, but all the neighborhoods along the East-West MARTA line are getting better every year.

Old 08-23-2012, 11:03 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,103,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANDS! View Post
Specifically near Dekalb Ave and close to Candler Park station. I currently live in a pretty crappy neighborhood in Sacramento, so not really unfamiliar with drug deals going down outside my home and midnight cop/ambulance stop-overs. Obviously that's not what I'm looking for, just giving some basis for what I am coming from. Looking to put a deposit on a place soon; if you need the address feel free to message me.

If you're used to that then you should be straight. I'm in Reynoldstown on the west side of Moreland, literally across the street from where Edgewood starts, and I walk from my dogs down Hosea Williams or Hardee from Moreland to Coan Park every morning and night and I have never had a problem. I have even walked up Mayson Ave a few times to that public housing looking brown complex that as far as I can tell is the only rough part left in that area, outside of a few spots here and there. I actually think I might live a few doors down from one of the only traps (dope spots) in that area and it is pretty tame. Me and my friends joke that its an AARP trap because everyone over there is pretty old and they close shop when the sun goes down. Im not worried about spots like that, Im worried about the areas like Boulevard in the 4th Ward or Pittsburgh where the corners are full of 17 y/o dudes who pump dope 24-7 and when they aren't doing that they are trying to jack somebody. Move to Edgewood dude, you will be glad you did. This whole part of town is cool as hell.

Old 08-23-2012, 11:34 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,103,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Stay away from Edgewood Court!

I'm guessing Edgewood Court is that brown complex off of Mayson?
Yeah I for sure would not want to live in there, but it didn't look like a war zone or anything. Saw some young dudes walking around looking tough, but no J's, and no obvious traps, so Im guessing it looks worse than it actually is. I used to hang in Chappell Forest and Eagan Homes and sometimes Allen Temple when I was growing up, and what made those areas bad was the the open air drug market element that was always present, and that is something that I don't see in that area. The drug money was what made those places violent. Goons wont really stick around in an area if there is no drug money to make. I'm not concerned with the people who were too poor or stubborn to move out when gentrification hit, they are harmless for the most part. My overall opinion for that whole area is that the real problem individuals are long gone.

Old 08-24-2012, 06:54 AM

Quote:
I'm guessing Edgewood Court is that brown complex off of Mayson?
Yeah I for sure would not want to live in there, but it didn't look like a war zone or anything. Saw some young dudes walking around looking tough, but no J's, and no obvious traps, so Im guessing it looks worse than it actually is. I used to hang in Chappell Forest and Eagan Homes and sometimes Allen Temple when I was growing up, and what made those areas bad was the the open air drug market element that was always present, and that is something that I don't see in that area. The drug money was what made those places violent. Goons wont really stick around in an area if there is no drug money to make. I'm not concerned with the people who were too poor or stubborn to move out when gentrification hit, they are harmless for the most part. My overall opinion for that whole area is that the real problem individuals are long gone.
Yeah, Edgewood Courts ain't the trap, but its the roughest spot in Edgewood. Sometimes I'll hear gun shots, but most likely someone shooting in the air. I'm sure Edgewood Courts doesn't compare to those sports listed, since those are old Atlanta Housing Projects. We'll play ball with the kids from there at Coan and they seem nice kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta