Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 09:13 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,766,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butchie Boy View Post
I've never been to Atlanta except via tv,photos,news reels,and google maps,and what people tell me who've been and lived there;but that's enough for me to decipher what it's like. What I've gleaned is a rural city with a new and impressive skyline.Streets like Boone-Simpson smacks of smaller southern cities of the fifties and sixties and people often refer to ATL as NYC of the south...to me,that's a streeecth!! From what I see,Atlanta is rife with a lot of woods and open fields in the city core....no wonder some think it's not so urban.But,a lot of people like that! Personally;I can't stand it! Too country for me! When I think of urban,I envision Boston,Philly,B-more,Chicago,Cleveland,NYC,Toronto,Detroit to name a few.These cities are what I call real deal urban...I love their grit,grime,and character.I love their population density and older infrastructure.Atlanta is a growing,prosperous,and modern city;granted....but it's no real deal city!!
Dude,

I know people who have been here several times and have no idea what this city like because they have only seen about 0.3% of it when they are here.

As far as whatever a "real deal city" is or needs to be...

its a city of over $5 million with a yearly economy jsut shy of $300Billion.

Its a functioning real city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 09:31 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,236,024 times
I totally get the idea that Atlanta is not like other cities, espically in the Northeast. Those cities have history and in some cases geography that makes them what they are.

But outside of the NE, what other cities are like it? Chicago, yeah. LA, not really. San Fransisco, yeah. Everywhere else has space and is relatively new. So are the only REAL DEAL cities in the Northeast?

Old 08-17-2012, 11:19 AM

1,350 posts, read 2,299,771 times
I think Atlanta's only real problem is so much of the great old urban historic architecture that Atlanta had was wiped out in the 1950s-1970s due to urban renewal. Atlanta would have that "grit" otherwise...but you can still find it from time to time too.

Old 08-17-2012, 12:37 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,029,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prytania View Post
I think Atlanta's only real problem is so much of the great old urban historic architecture that Atlanta had was wiped out in the 1950s-1970s due to urban renewal. Atlanta would have that "grit" otherwise...but you can still find it from time to time too.
That's really not true...take a walk around downtown and you'll find gobs of historic architecture. Of course there were some great buildings that were destroyed in the name of progress, but urban renewal didn't hurt Atlanta nearly as bad as it did most other large cities.

Old 08-17-2012, 12:59 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,766,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
That's really not true...take a walk around downtown and you'll find gobs of historic architecture. Of course there were some great buildings that were destroyed in the name of progress, but urban renewal didn't hurt Atlanta nearly as bad as it did most other large cities.
We lost a good bit of what we had.

both of our train stations.
Lots of the outlying spaces away from the Fairlie-Poplar district.
We lost most of the high character mansions that use to line Peachtree st going into Midtown (Midtown use to be like a suburban area w/ retail areas)

I think the problem we have here is businesses always wanted to be on the premium street or intersection, rather than leave the character intact on the most well known street and sacrifice the areas 1-2 blocks away for new development.

Old 08-17-2012, 01:59 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,029,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
We lost a good bit of what we had.

both of our train stations.
Lots of the outlying spaces away from the Fairlie-Poplar district.
We lost most of the high character mansions that use to line Peachtree st going into Midtown (Midtown use to be like a suburban area w/ retail areas)

I think the problem we have here is businesses always wanted to be on the premium street or intersection, rather than leave the character intact on the most well known street and sacrifice the areas 1-2 blocks away for new development.
Well I wouldn't expect mansions to remain on Peachtree Street in great numbers...it was once almost 100% single-family residential, but that rapidly began to change as far back as the turn of the century so it wasn't due to urban renewal for the most part. It's sad that so many beautiful mansions were demolished, but we wouldn't really have much of a city if they were still standing.

I agree there have been some terrible losses, but look at all that we DIDN'T lose...in comparing the two, we have saved much more than we have lost. I think there is a common misconception that Atlanta is all new and shiny...there is much more history intact here than many people realize.

What I said was in response to the statement "much of the great old urban historic architecture that Atlanta had was wiped out", and I still say that this statement isn't true. Much of the great old urban historic architecture that Atlanta had is still standing.

Old 08-17-2012, 03:13 PM

738 posts, read 1,377,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butchie Boy View Post
I've never been to Atlanta except via tv,photos,news reels,and google maps,and what people tell me who've been and lived there;but that's enough for me to decipher what it's like. What I've gleaned is a rural city with a new and impressive skyline.Streets like Boone-Simpson smacks of smaller southern cities of the fifties and sixties and people often refer to ATL as NYC of the south...to me,that's a streeecth!! From what I see,Atlanta is rife with a lot of woods and open fields in the city core....no wonder some think it's not so urban.But,a lot of people like that! Personally;I can't stand it! Too country for me! When I think of urban,I envision Boston,Philly,B-more,Chicago,Cleveland,NYC,Toronto,Detroit to name a few.These cities are what I call real deal urban...I love their grit,grime,and character.I love their population density and older infrastructure.Atlanta is a growing,prosperous,and modern city;granted....but it's no real deal city!!
LOL! Nothing like "knowledge" from people who have never been here. Trust me, we have plenty of grit, grime, and character.

Old 08-17-2012, 03:31 PM

23,450 posts, read 44,061,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by researchnerd View Post
LOL! Nothing like "knowledge" from people who have never been here. Trust me, we have plenty of grit, grime, and character.
This always amuses me. "I know virtually nothing on this subject, but allow me to pontificate..."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta