Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 06:53 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,036,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
Acknowledging that another city has better weather, a nicer stadium and the potential to generate more money is disdain?

Really son?

C'mon mane.
Son? Please...I can't stand to discuss something like this with someone like you, so I'm gonna move on. Keep arguing about Atlanta's shortcomings like you do in everything you post. It's really attractive.

I would hate to have that kind of reputation on this site. Annoying is not a pretty trait.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 06:58 PM

2,406 posts, read 3,351,957 times

Old 09-26-2012, 08:48 PM

3,709 posts, read 5,988,983 times
Maybe they're trying to minimize the travel distance for the teams that will compete?

Old 09-26-2012, 09:55 PM

924 posts, read 1,456,274 times
I know it isn't technically the Orange Bowl anymore. I have seen a game in the newer stadium and it was ok but I like the Dome better.

Everyone I knew from Auburn who went to Glendale 2 years ago said the game experience was run horribly. They also sold less than 70,000 tickets but could have sold 150,000 to Auburn fans if they had the space so no way it can actually be 78,000 for a football game(I know they claim it but if they didn't do it for the last national championship they had why would they start now for the next one?) The Fiesta Bowl also almost lost out on being a BCS game at all last year because of bribes and mismanagement and the stadium is out in the middle of nowhere with nothing around it.

If the Dome being old is a downside then why don't you mention the same thing for the Superdome? It is 20 years older than the Georgia Dome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
It should come down to which stadium can generate the most revenue, but there are a few other factors that could decide a tie or near tie IMO:

Jerry World is insane. The weather can suck though like 2 years ago at the SB.

Glendale seats up to 78,000 for major events and is a warm weather location with retractable roof.

The Orange Bowl has been gone for years now. The game is played in Landshark (Joe Robbie, Dolphins Stadium or Pro Player or whatever it is called this week) is an outdoor stadium in a warm climate which is a plus. It also has seen a series of upgrades through the years and has a $200 million renovation proposal on the table.

New Orleans is used to hosting big sporting events even more so than Atlanta.

Pasadena has ridiculous history and 100,000 seats. Warm weather environment is a help too.

Atlanta has an older stadium, could have iffy weather but Atlanta can host big events. I just don't think an older stadium like the dome wins out over the other bids.

Old 09-26-2012, 09:56 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,863,348 times
Jerry Jones did build one magnificent palace for football no doubt about it. But I don't know if any of you realize how pitiful Arlington is for a location. No rail, no sights to see, a suburban landscape that has seen better days in all directions, an interstate highway a mile or so away.

Imagine if Turner Field and the Georgia Dome were out in Douglasville. Imagine that MARTA didn't have a western line nearby. Imagine that the only other thing nearby of any interest was Six Flags.

Got that in your mind? Then you have Cowboys Stadium.

Old 09-26-2012, 10:02 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,135,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Jerry Jones did build one magnificent palace for football no doubt about it. But I don't know if any of you realize how pitiful Arlington is for a location. No rail, no sights to see, a suburban landscape that has seen better days in all directions, an interstate highway a mile or so away.

Imagine if Turner Field and the Georgia Dome were out in Douglasville. Imagine that MARTA didn't have a western line nearby. Imagine that the only other thing nearby of any interest was Six Flags.

Got that in your mind? Then you have Cowboys Stadium.
And the most valuable NFL team in the country. None of that hurt the Cowboys.

Old 09-26-2012, 10:08 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,135,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
3. None of the cities listed can hold a large event the way Atlanta can. That alone should propel us up the list.
Miami and New Orleans have hosted the Super Bowl a lot more often than Atlanta. They must have something that keeps bringing it back.

Old 09-27-2012, 01:31 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,136,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
I don't think you can think of much good about Atlanta, period. I have never seen a positive post from you about anything concerning the city.

1. If you've ever been to a game at the Georgia Dome you would know that it is one of the best places in the nation to see a football game, age notwithstanding.

2. You really can't cite weather as a factor anywhere...since we can't control weather it is always iffy, no matter where the game is held.

3. None of the cities listed can hold a large event the way Atlanta can. That alone should propel us up the list.
Here you go again with the Atlanta boosting. Are you serious? Pasadena is right near LA and last I checked, LA has hosted the Olympics TWICE and you're trying to say, it can't host a big event the way Atlanta can? Wait what...I'm so confused.

Just facepalm. You're ridiculous. You're the type of person that gave Atlanta posters a bad name. Stop spitting out BS that just isn't plain true and stop denying things other people say that are true. It's YOU who is being constantly unreasonable. GTcorndog brought up good points. He isn't dissing Atlanta...he is telling his opinion on why he thinks Atlanta isn't as suited to host this event as the other cities posted are and for some of the cities, I agree with him.

Old 09-27-2012, 03:45 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,929,063 times
Isn't Atlanta the college football capital of the universe? Isn't that why the CFHOF is moving here? Isn't the Georgia Dome the No. 1 favorite venue for both players AND fans? What other football stadium benefits from large adjacent venues (Phillips Arena, GWCC) and attractions (CNN, Aquarium, Coke, Centennial Park)?

What other city has such a remarkable track record for hosting HUGE multiple events back to back and simultaneously even? Moving tens of thousands of people quickly and effeciently? Is served by the world's busiest airport -- which in turn is connected via subway to the event facility? Is the literal crossroads of the SE -- which has the most college teams currently ranked in the BCS Top 10?

BUT THE MAIN THING: Eastern Time Zone. You think they're gonna play these games out west? Forget about it!

Old 09-27-2012, 03:48 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,929,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
And the most valuable NFL team in the country. None of that hurt the Cowboys.
They don't even play in Dallas County. Pitiful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta