Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2012, 11:41 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,871,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
It is what it is. I've seen drug deals go down while waiting in the Taco Bell drive thru. I've seen people get mugged outside the Krispy Kreme. And just about everything in between.
first of all, bro, that's o4w. you're talking boulevard and west into midtown. poncey-highland is east of there. check a map out. second of all, even the area you are talking about is going up in price and safety rapidly. so while i wouldn't live south of ponce near boulevard now, 20 years ago i wouldn't have lived south of 8th and monroe. the city is changing fast.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2012, 12:02 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,051,626 times
Quote:
I would not call that area Poncey-Highland.
What, exactly, is Poncey-Highland?

Obviously it's Ponce and Highland, but would you not say that it extends west to about Monroe?

Old 10-15-2012, 01:10 AM

16,690 posts, read 29,506,412 times
Quote:

Obviously it's Ponce and Highland, but would you not say that it extends west to about Monroe?
No, it does not.

This is Poncey-Highland:

http://www.ponceyhighland.com/Default.aspx?tabid=39

Please do research before commenting/ass-talking.

Old 10-15-2012, 05:50 AM

23,452 posts, read 44,061,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
No, it does not.

This is Poncey-Highland:

http://www.ponceyhighland.com/Default.aspx?tabid=39

Please do research before commenting/ass-talking.
I had a colleague that was the single mother of two and lived for years near the corner of North and Linwood. She enjoyed it and never indicated that there was a problem. It's a great location in that you have easy access to so many other great east side neighborhoods.
My only complaint is the presence of Freedom Parkway...it offers convenience, I suppose, but I feel it really compromised the integrity of P-H.

Old 10-15-2012, 06:53 AM

2,047 posts, read 4,619,137 times
Oh, thanks for the map Aries! i can comment because I have a girlfriend who lives in that area, but I didn't know its name. She and her husband don't have young kids. Their only child is a defensive end at SMU. She's fairly bourgie, but they are very comfortable there. They got amn absolutely amazing house for practically nothing. Fixer upper of course, but gorgeous. She says that other than an occasional crackhead on the stoop, it's okay. They enjoy urban pioneering a lot, and have lots if funny stories about their encounters with the populace. Funny story. They had fake copper lights in their yard. She came home one day and they were gone. She assumed their friendly neighborhood booster had taken them and said next time she'd put a sign on them that said "not real copper." in fact, her husband hadd pulled them up because they were starting to look bad. This weekend she was telling me about the stolen car that ran out of gas right in front of her house. From what I can tell, and I've visited quite a bit, it's a typical urban neighborhood; secure your valuables and keep your head up, but for the most part, most of the crime is of the petty variety.

Old 10-15-2012, 06:58 AM

2,167 posts, read 2,829,722 times
Yes to any of the mentioned locations, with the caveat that you should consider your comfort level with the public school options depending on the age of your kid(s). Wouldn't really be a deal breaker for me, but for others it might be. Many will trumpet how quickly the public schools in areas like Kirkwood are rapidly improving, and how involved and supportive the parents are. All true statements, and all good things . . . but the schools were pretty dismal previously, so making "big jumps in performance" is different than "performing well".

Old 10-15-2012, 07:13 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,290,449 times
Quote:

It is what it is. I've seen drug deals go down while waiting in the Taco Bell drive thru. I've seen people get mugged outside the Krispy Kreme. And just about everything in between.
Those two places are not in Poncey-Highland. Take a break from scaring people and learn your neighborhoods.

I know people raising kids in Poncey-Highland, and they love it.

Old 10-15-2012, 07:15 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,290,449 times
Quote:

No, and even if it did, the places you mentioned are still NOT in Poncey-Highland.

Old 10-15-2012, 07:51 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,856,240 times
Quote:
I work in Kirkwood right near East Lake Marta and it's ok, but there isn't very much to do. But maybe that is what you are looking for.
There are 5 parks in Kirkwood, a PATH trail that connects to Downtown Decatur and eventually Stone Mountain, Freedom Park and the new Eastside BeltLine Trail. The area has lots of families with kids that are very involved in Toomer E.S. and Coan M.S. Homes are affordable and there is a huge range of homes to choose from. Victoria, craftsman bungalow, ranch, to modern infill homes with historic style. Kirkwood is perfectly situated between Downtown Atlanta and Downtown Decatur along the MARTA east-west line.
Quote:
All true statements, and all good things . . . but the schools were pretty dismal previously, so making "big jumps in performance" is different than "performing well".
Toomer E.S. received the governors award last year.
To the OP, when I was looking at homes I also looked at Poncey-Highland, but found the homes I could afford were beyond what I could repair. Kirkwood offered the affordability, intown living, historic homes, good schools, and convenience to retail and restaurants. Edgwood Retail District is only 1-2 miles away.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:23 AM
RNF

141 posts, read 232,581 times

Poncey-Highland, an Atlanta Intown Neighborhood. - YouTube

Poncey Highlands II - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta