Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 07:32 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,929,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromGA View Post
Atlanta real estate - AJC recent article

Looks like Midtown and Buckhead (being attractive locations) are doing alright. Downtown is still losing tenants. Perimeter will probably do better than Alpharetta?

(this article was open to all in the past. It may currently be restricted viewing)
I read this article. It quoted several commercial real estate developers / agents / experts who agreed that the era of new office towers in ATL is not over, and when it happens everybody would be surprised (when you're least expecting it). I took that to mean, it could be sooner than later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2012, 09:48 AM

105 posts, read 202,388 times
I work in Duluth for a Fortune 100 company that has a large regional office here, and wish they would move downtown/midtown. But then seeing the traffic going into the city every morning makes me understand why they won't put their employees through that. Lucky for me, I live in the O4W and my commute is going against the traffic.

But imagine what would happen if these large companies all move away from the suburbs and into downtown/midtown, demand would rise and skyscrapers would pop up all over...our skyline would be dense and awesome.

Old 10-20-2012, 12:44 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,390,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
My point was if anyone really WANTED to build down there and those people were the "problem", it could've been solved years ago. The only people even remotely trying to do anything down there is Ga State.. unless you want to count the 50 half empty condos in Midtown. Half the development stalled and i'm pretty sure the homeless had nothing to do with that. I guess next people will be blaming them for "Buckhead Atlanta" sitting vacant for what, 4 years?
Sorry, Brownhornet, but in the area of the BofA tower, the beggars are a problem. Don't have an idea if they are homeless or not, but it is a very significant impediment to offices and office workers being comfortable in the area. Did it for well over 10 years, and it is more than a inconvenient nuisance.

Old 10-20-2012, 12:53 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Sorry, Brownhornet, but in the area of the BofA tower, the beggars are a problem. Don't have an idea if they are homeless or not, but it is a very significant impediment to offices and office workers being comfortable in the area. Did it for well over 10 years, and it is more than a inconvenient nuisance.
I hate to say it but I know two businesses moved out of downtown, at least in part because the employees felt uncomfortable. Both companies were committed to downtown and wanted to see it work, but the situation was particularly difficult for women employees and visitors when they had to work late.

Old 10-20-2012, 04:21 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,048,359 times
I live right there and sure they are a problem, thats why the city has been trying to get the shelter shut down for so long, but as much as we want the problem fixed its not impeding development. Emory is building a new state of the art cancer center with new retail spaces along both Peachtree and North Avenue and the next block down a large apartment complex is going to be built.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post

Old 10-20-2012, 04:22 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,385,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NTATL View Post

But imagine what would happen if these large companies all move away from the suburbs and into downtown/midtown, demand would rise and skyscrapers would pop up all over...our skyline would be dense and awesome.
Unless your company needs to be able to walk to other companies that are based in downtown, or needs a "status address", the chances of them moving downtown are pretty slim. Why would they pay the rent premium of being in a downtown high rise vs a low rise suburban building otherwise?

Old 10-20-2012, 05:54 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,139,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah View Post
I live right there and sure they are a problem, thats why the city has been trying to get the shelter shut down for so long, but as much as we want the problem fixed its not impeding development. Emory is building a new state of the art cancer center with new retail spaces along both Peachtree and North Avenue and the next block down a large apartment complex is going to be built.
Interesting. First time hearing that new development will occur in the SoNo area. If this occurs, that area might become more desirable to spend time in. Right now, it's a piece of poop and the homeless shelter there doesn't help and makes the area very intimidating. I was walking through that area Friday night and a couple was walking ahead of me and my friend and I guess the guy gave a homeless guy a quick stare, then all of a sudden, the homeless guy goes bi-polar asking if he has a problem.

Nobody wants to deal with that ****. Atlanta needs to get rid of that homeless shelter so that area can come together and alive.

Old 10-20-2012, 06:29 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Unless your company needs to be able to walk to other companies that are based in downtown, or needs a "status address", the chances of them moving downtown are pretty slim. Why would they pay the rent premium of being in a downtown high rise vs a low rise suburban building otherwise?
Downtown rental rates are probably less than those in the suburbs in many cases.

http://www.colliers.com/~/media/File...rketReport.pdf

Old 10-21-2012, 07:54 AM

4,768 posts, read 5,442,323 times
The Equitable building is about 30% occupied. If they would have sold the buiding to GA State, it would have removed a noticeable dent Downtown. GA State also brought the Suntrust Building across from Woodruff Park. I think a 40 plus Condo tower could be on the horizon in Midtown.

Old 10-21-2012, 07:57 AM

4,768 posts, read 5,442,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NTATL View Post
I work in Duluth for a Fortune 100 company that has a large regional office here, and wish they would move downtown/midtown. But then seeing the traffic going into the city every morning makes me understand why they won't put their employees through that. Lucky for me, I live in the O4W and my commute is going against the traffic.

Those people are actually going through Downtown from 20 east'west or 75/85 north/south heading to Buckhead and the perimeter markets for work. People who work Downtown, actually have a very easy time getting to work. Most can take Marta, GRTA, or drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta