Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 08:28 AM

1,050 posts, read 1,691,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove2014 View Post
Also $1400 rent is like cream of the crop here. 1500 in NYC is likely a dump in comparison unless you are in a outer borough.

Lets not get not NYC taxes. There is a reason everyone doesn't live in NYC.
I was raised in NYC and people around here are getting dramatic about the rental cost. 1500 is even hard for something nice in an outer borough convenient to the subway. What you get for 1400 in midtown or Buckhead is impressive for a city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2012, 10:09 AM

1,250 posts, read 1,885,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaLakeSearch View Post
I was raised in NYC and people around here are getting dramatic about the rental cost. 1500 is even hard for something nice in an outer borough convenient to the subway. What you get for 1400 in midtown or Buckhead is impressive for a city.
That is what I'm thinking.

If its so easy and cheap more people would pack up and move there (me included)or at least stay there and not move here.

Old 10-20-2012, 10:36 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
$1500 a month sounds like a pretty reasonable rent for a nice apartment. I would have thought they would be considerably more.

Old 10-20-2012, 10:56 AM

1,971 posts, read 3,044,826 times
It is a lot easier to move to New York than a lot of people think. 250,000 people move there every year. I moved there with $1500 when I was 22. If you want a cheaper apartment you can just live in Queens or an uncool part of Brooklyn. It's impossible to find a larger space unless you are seriously rich, and schools have historically been not that great, so nesting sorts of people tend to leave. This is pretty off topic at this point, but if you have an inkling to move to NYC, there is no time like the present, because it never gets cheaper.

Old 10-21-2012, 08:44 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,912,447 times
This is funny I'm paying 617 on my 1 bedroom right off north Ave and pine behind publix. I can rent a loft in castleberry for less than 1400 NYC your not going to get the same value or space or amenities in your apt. A lot of apts in Brooklyn that don't even have central Air and heat. There are a lot of window Ac units In These Apartments. You will never be able to find a apartment for under 700 in NY in Atlanta u can. If u want something like 1016 lofts off Howell mill trust your going to pay a arm and a leg in NY for it. My first year in Atlanta I paid 975 for my 1 bedroom loft at 1016

Last edited by Staysean23; 10-21-2012 at 09:05 AM..

Old 10-21-2012, 09:23 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,220,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by researchnerd View Post
rzzz completely nailed it. Buying a house in Atlanta is cheap, but renting is not, and transportation is expensive. As the article states, we spend 63% of our income just to live somewhere and get around. And compared with other cities, there isn't much free stuff to do, for adults or kids. We don't have a nearby ocean or beach, which limits recreation a lot. You can only canoe on the knee-deep Chattahoochee so many times.

I too was shocked when I checked out the Lake Claire pool and discovered their exorbitant fees. There's the YMCA, but their schedule is not at all designed for working adults.

I get attacked a lot for being negative about Atlanta but everything rzzz described is why I am planning to move back to my hometown of Chicago within a year or two.

I didn't have a lot of money back in Chicago but it didn't seen to be an issue because I was never without anything to do. In Chicago you can do a lot for just the cost of bus fare. Here, not so much. You can have fun on a budget in Chicago, in Atlanta you don't have very many options. Moving here I was forced to take on the expense of car ownership. In Chicago I didn't have that expense so that was more money free to shop and do things on weekends. I never owned a vehicle or even had a driver's license before I moved to GA. Didn't need one back home.

I am single (divorced) and also have a teen and finding fun, affordable things to do for either of us is a challenge here in Atlanta. She complains of boredom often.

To rent a nice place in Atlanta is about as much as Chicago or not very much less and yet offers less as a city.

My mom, who also lives here posed in interesting question the other day. She asked me what the justification is of buying a million-dollar home in Atlanta. She said she just doesn't see what's here that would warrant buying an expensive home in places like Buchkead or Va-Hi.

You are right that rent isn't cheap here. I may pay a little more in rent when I move back home but the fact that I won't have to drive everywhere and can save on gas, coupled with the fact that there are lots of free activities, and most utilities are included with most apartments in Chicago (in Georgia I have to pay all utilities, in Chicago I always only had to pay phone and electric and that hasn't changed), moving back to Chicago has gotten more and more appealing.

I posed a hypothetical question to my daughter last week. I asked her what would make her want to stay in Atlanta. We both love the big, beautiful homes here. I asked her if we won the lottery and could buy ones of these big mini-mansions, would she want to stay. She said, she still wouldn't want to stay even if we could buy one of these huge houses--that living in a huge house here wouldn't change for her the fact that there isn't much to do.

Last edited by Atlanta_BD; 10-21-2012 at 09:36 AM..

Old 10-21-2012, 09:50 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,912,447 times
All u do is complain complain complain I think everyone has gotten the idea what u don't like about Atlanta u have taken every opprotunity u can to do this I don't know if this is a outlet for u to relieve your frustration but geez. You have to remember everyone doesn't share the same issues u have. I could go on and on and Complain about NY and Chicago based on what I'm looking for and how they don't provide the quality of life I like.You do know there are a lot of NY and Chicago transplants here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
I get attacked a lot for being negative about Atlanta but everything rzzz described is why I am planning to move back to my hometown of Chicago within a year or two.

I didn't have a lot of money back in Chicago but it didn't seen to be an issue because I was never without anything to do. In Chicago you can do a lot for just the cost of bus fare. Here, not so much. You can have fun on a budget in Chicago, in Atlanta you don't have very many options. Moving here I was forced to take on the expense of car ownership. In Chicago I didn't have that expense so that was more money free to shop and do things on weekends. I never owned a vehicle or even had a driver's license before I moved to GA. Didn't need one back home.

I am single (divorced) and also have a teen and finding fun, affordable things to do for either of us is a challenge here in Atlanta. She complains of boredom often.

To rent a nice place in Atlanta is about as much as Chicago or not very much less and yet offers less as a city.

My mom, who also lives here posed in interesting question the other day. She asked me what the justification is of buying a million-dollar home in Atlanta. She said she just doesn't see what's here that would warrant buying an expensive home in places like Buchkead or Va-Hi.

You are right that rent isn't cheap here. I may pay a little more in rent when I move back home but the fact that I won't have to drive everywhere and can save on gas, coupled with the fact that there are lots of free activities, and most utilities are included with most apartments in Chicago (in Georgia I have to pay all utilities, in Chicago I always only had to pay phone and electric and that hasn't changed), moving back to Chicago has gotten more and more appealing.

Old 10-21-2012, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
All u do is complain complain complain I think everyone has gotten the idea what u don't like about Atlanta u have taken every opprotunity u can to do this I don't know if this is a outlet for u to relieve your frustration but geez. You have to remember everyone doesn't share the same issues u have. I could go on and on and Complain about NY and Chicago based on what I'm looking for and how they don't provide the quality of life I like.You do know there are a lot of NY and Chicago transplants here

As this is a public forum, I have the right to voice my opinion. I agree with some of the sentiments expressed in this thread and I have posted that. That is my right as a member of City Data to do so as long as I follow the guidelines and not attack anyone. Yet people love to want to jump all over me.

And yes I do know there are lots of transplants from Chicago and NYC. At least the ones I know personally don't like it here and want to leave too or have left lol.

Since you don't like my posts, you can always add me to your ignore list so you don't have to read them. Problem solved.

Old 10-21-2012, 10:33 AM

1,250 posts, read 1,885,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post

I only ever had to pay electric and water here. What else are you having to pay?

Old 10-21-2012, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove2014 View Post
I only ever had to pay electric and water here. What else are you having to pay?
Gas, water, and electric. Water is $55 a month. People I know who own houses don't pay as much for water as I do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta