Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 08:16 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,060,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
You were making nasty remarks about apartment complexes and people who rent. Don't try to twist it.
OMG, you know you are the biggest drama queen on this board, don't you?

I said that there were too many apartments and they haven't been kept up and that owners tend to be better stewards of land than renters. I never said all renters or all apartments are bad, so take a chill pill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2012, 10:02 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,863,348 times
The odd thing about Gwinnett Place is that its twin in almost every dimension, Town Center at Cobb is thriving today. Both were built at almost the same time (mid 80s) with almost the same layout and mix of stores. Both were further out from the perimeter than any previous mall. Both were in burgeoning suburban areas with similar demographics.

While Cobb has its share of Avenues to siphon off shoppers, the biggest difference is a Discover Mills didn't go up in Acworth or Woodstock coupled with a Mall of Georgia in Cartersville or Canton. If those two things had happened, Town Center might be going through what Gwinett Place is experiencing right now. As CWK noted, Gwinett is over retailed. Something had to give and it seems to be Gwinett Place.

Old 10-30-2012, 05:27 AM

1,250 posts, read 1,885,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
The odd thing about Gwinnett Place is that its twin in almost every dimension, Town Center at Cobb is thriving today. Both were built at almost the same time (mid 80s) with almost the same layout and mix of stores. Both were further out from the perimeter than any previous mall. Both were in burgeoning suburban areas with similar demographics.

While Cobb has its share of Avenues to siphon off shoppers, the biggest difference is a Discover Mills didn't go up in Acworth or Woodstock coupled with a Mall of Georgia in Cartersville or Canton. If those two things had happened, Town Center might be going through what Gwinett Place is experiencing right now. As CWK noted, Gwinett is over retailed. Something had to give and it seems to be Gwinett Place.
I'd rather live near Gwinett place then anywhere in Cobb. As a black guy I just get bad vibes there and Cobb is much more spread out in terms of "stuff".

Old 10-30-2012, 06:27 AM

1,050 posts, read 1,691,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Wow you pretty much listed the entire non hispanic and non black sections of the county.
Thats is what certain people always do on here. Forsyth County is a great "suburb" according to people on here, but Camp Creek is "ghetto."

Old 10-30-2012, 07:38 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,863,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove2014 View Post
I'd rather live near Gwinett place then anywhere in Cobb. As a black guy I just get bad vibes there and Cobb is much more spread out in terms of "stuff".
On the move, you need to get out more. Cobb is just as close as Gwinnett to being majority minority. My personal opinion re the "spread out" description would be the opposite. Gwinnett has a 1980s and newer suburban sameness. Cobb has a feel of being closer to the core of the metro and a player in the metro for much longer, a much more diverse stock of housing and commercial. Marietta and Smyrna being larger suburbs forr longer give it a different feel. Gwinnett feels very "samey" to me.

You gotta let old preconceptions go.

Old 10-31-2012, 06:39 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
Quote:
Cobb has a feel of being closer to the core of the metro and a player in the metro for much longer, a much more diverse stock of housing and commercial. Marietta and Smyrna being larger suburbs forr longer give it a different feel.
Marietta was a streetcar suburb of Atlanta, with stops at Dobbins. Gwinnett wasn't much until I-85 became a scar through the middle of the county.
Either way both counties will have to do something soon to create a real transit agency that covers the county's need. Having that many people and that diverse, not everyone is going to be able to drive.

Old 10-31-2012, 07:04 AM

1,250 posts, read 1,885,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
On the move, you need to get out more. Cobb is just as close as Gwinnett to being majority minority. My personal opinion re the "spread out" description would be the opposite. Gwinnett has a 1980s and newer suburban sameness. Cobb has a feel of being closer to the core of the metro and a player in the metro for much longer, a much more diverse stock of housing and commercial. Marietta and Smyrna being larger suburbs forr longer give it a different feel. Gwinnett feels very "samey" to me.

You gotta let old preconceptions go.
I'm not talking about how the housing stock looks.

I'm talking about a feeling of "why are you here" once you get closer to Marrietta.

As for the demographics:

Cobb
The racial makeup of the county in 2006 was 56.0% White, 29.6% Black, 0.5% Native American, 4.1% Asian, 0.0% Pacific Islander, 8.8% from other races, and 1.4% from two or more races. 11.1% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
Cobb County, Georgia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Gwinett
The racial and ethnic composition of the population was 53.3% white (44.0% non-Hispanic white), 23.6% black (22.9% non-Hispanic black), 2.7% Korean, 2.6% Asian Indian, 2.0% Vietnamese, 3.3% other Asian, 0.1% Pacific Islander, 8.8% some other race (0.3% non-Hispanic of some other race) and 3.1% from two or more races. 20.1% of the population was Hispanic or Latino with 10.7% of the total population, most being Mexican
Gwinnett County, Georgia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'd consider Gwinett much more racially diverse. They even had to separate the Asians into different categories for Gwinett and I've never seen a Mexican in Cobb.

Walk into a Steak and Shake in Kennesaw and you don't see much diversity, but you do get a lot of stares.

Old 10-31-2012, 07:32 AM

1,262 posts, read 2,975,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove2014 View Post
I'm not talking about how the housing stock looks.

I'm talking about a feeling of "why are you here" once you get closer to Marrietta.

As for the demographics:

Cobb
The racial makeup of the county in 2006 was 56.0% White, 29.6% Black, 0.5% Native American, 4.1% Asian, 0.0% Pacific Islander, 8.8% from other races, and 1.4% from two or more races. 11.1% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
Cobb County, Georgia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Gwinett
The racial and ethnic composition of the population was 53.3% white (44.0% non-Hispanic white), 23.6% black (22.9% non-Hispanic black), 2.7% Korean, 2.6% Asian Indian, 2.0% Vietnamese, 3.3% other Asian, 0.1% Pacific Islander, 8.8% some other race (0.3% non-Hispanic of some other race) and 3.1% from two or more races. 20.1% of the population was Hispanic or Latino with 10.7% of the total population, most being Mexican
Gwinnett County, Georgia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'd consider Gwinett much more racially diverse. They even had to separate the Asians into different categories for Gwinett and I've never seen a Mexican in Cobb.

Walk into a Steak and Shake in Kennesaw and you don't see much diversity, but you do get a lot of stares.
You've never seen a Mexican in Cobb?? Have you ever actually been to Cobb County?

By your own post 11.1% of the population in Cobb is Latino. Therefore there are at least 76,377 Latino people in Cobb. As with most of Georgia, the majority of those are going to be Mexicans.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:21 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
Quote:
Does the jukebox stop playing and everyone gets quiet, like the scene from Animal House?

Old 10-31-2012, 09:31 AM

738 posts, read 1,377,880 times
Or like in 48 Hours, when they walked into a country/western bar: "Not a very popular place with the brothers."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta