Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2013, 11:41 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,854,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
Here's an idea that's kind of radical:

During off peak times, build a five-minute stop into the schedule at Five Points station. All trains can be scheduled to arrive at Five Points the same time and people will be able to transfer to the other train lines. Then all the trains leave at once.

My biggest frustration with the system is that the transfer from red/gold to blue lines at Five Points is a complete wildcard. It can be instant, it can take 20 minutes. There's no telling. I'd rather just have it take five minutes and be able to plan around that.

And it seems like most people transfer at Five Points, rather than ride through the station.
I think dispatchers should hold departing trains/buses until the connecting train arrives.
Quote:
Another thing: NEVER allow trains to run ahead of schedule. In European train systems, leaving the station early is considered worse than leaving late. If you're running ahead of schedule, then wait until the train is supposed to leave
Again this should fall to the dispatchers. Does the ATC allow trains to leave early?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2013, 04:08 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,706,844 times
Has MARTA ever had 24 hour bus service?

Old 01-22-2013, 08:59 PM

217 posts, read 408,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
Here's an idea that's kind of radical:

During off peak times, build a five-minute stop into the schedule at Five Points station. All trains can be scheduled to arrive at Five Points the same time and people will be able to transfer to the other train lines. Then all the trains leave at once.

My biggest frustration with the system is that the transfer from red/gold to blue lines at Five Points is a complete wildcard. It can be instant, it can take 20 minutes. There's no telling. I'd rather just have it take five minutes and be able to plan around that.

And it seems like most people transfer at Five Points, rather than ride through the station.
That drives me bonkers too. I've found that if I have to ride back from, say, Inman Park to Five Points, then wait for a train to take me north from there, I often get home faster by taking a bus or even walking because the previous northbound train just left and there won't be another one for 19 minutes.

Old 01-22-2013, 09:16 PM

642 posts, read 2,218,705 times
Expand!!!!!!

Old 01-22-2013, 09:36 PM

217 posts, read 408,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
No fantasy, just the fact that true BRT works in a dedicated lane. I don't see GDOT building a transit only lane EVER!
Well, yeah, I meant that I was fantasizing that new bus-only lanes and the existing sidewalks and four lanes of car traffic (and maybe even bike lanes ) could all somehow fit there.

Also, there are public hearings Thursday evening regarding the proposed bus service changes for this spring. If they make the changes they're proposing to the 110, there won't be any bus service at all between Arts Center and Five Points after 8 p.m. or before 9 a.m. and the route will be doing that ridiculous "all the way from end to end this trip, turn around at Arts Center next trip" thing the entire day instead of just at night. They're also planning to have the #6 start turning around at Emory Village every other trip and run from Lindbergh to Inman Park alternating trips during the week, then run the full route during the weekend.

I suspect that making the system more complicated and inconvenient (and possibly more expensive) to use isn't the best way to increase or maintain ridership. It's like they're trying to weed out the people who don't absolutely have to use it. I've never seen a transit agency hazing their customers before.

Old 01-23-2013, 01:33 AM

4,768 posts, read 5,436,972 times
The Graffiti at the Oakland city station, and all that trash beside the track must go. Also the ride from the airport to Downtown is quite horrendous, can the please tear down those buildings that are falling apart outside of the East Point Station.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:45 AM

1,709 posts, read 3,424,055 times
They should get more trains and have shorter wait times. Why do I want to ride MARTA when I can drive in 1/2 the time and at roughly the same cost in gas?

Old 01-23-2013, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL Golfer View Post
They should get more trains and have shorter wait times. Why do I want to ride MARTA when I can drive in 1/2 the time and at roughly the same cost in gas?
That cost money, something MARTA is short on these days.

Old 01-23-2013, 02:39 PM

2,490 posts, read 2,544,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
That cost money, something MARTA is short on these days.
Well call it a radical approach, but maybe they could invest something beneficial to riders to spur them to take it instead of continuing to cut and cut and cut and never expand. The only thing that MARTA is going to be successful at if it continues is to have even less money to waste. I stopped being a steady rider over two years ago, one of my friends is starting to take it less and less, and several of my friends are preparing to get cars instead. If the trend continues Atlanta will grind to a halt with all the new people that come here bringing their cars and all the people that area already here taking theres more and more.

Old 01-23-2013, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattee01 View Post
Well call it a radical approach, but maybe they could invest something beneficial to riders to spur them to take it instead of continuing to cut and cut and cut and never expand. The only thing that MARTA is going to be successful at if it continues is to have even less money to waste. I stopped being a steady rider over two years ago, one of my friends is starting to take it less and less, and several of my friends are preparing to get cars instead. If the trend continues Atlanta will grind to a halt with all the new people that come here bringing their cars and all the people that area already here taking theres more and more.
Unfortunately your right. Hopefully Keith Parker can get it headed in the right direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta