Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 05:29 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,042,399 times

Advertisements

Well I can't rep you anymore right now arjay. Good answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2013, 05:38 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,108,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
It's really quite simple. Not all history is pretty. But history must be preserved, not altered. To do such to this carving is defacement.
Picasso's Guernica has violent content and is an upsetting reminder of a terrible civil war. Shall we paint in some happy faces to make it more palatable? Or perhaps we should destroy the films of Leni Riefenstahl because they present a pro-Nazi point of view?
You're really getting into dangerous territory when you begin adopting this attitude.
Respect the carving for what it is...our history, warts and all.
This is party what I said in a different way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
So what is your proposal on controlling how people view a work of art? Some people may see it as a banner of how far we've come, and others celebrate and honor it with civic pride. Others may see it in a different way. You can't control how anyone sees anything, and you can't decide what is "worth civic pride" for everyone else.

As someone already pointed out, works of art are not to be altered no matter what the subject matter.
Your right! just like you can't control hate. I mean it is a work of hate. it's klan art. Those who want are free to boast that as civic pride but it would show there character or their ignorance of the caving history.

I think some yall have it in yall head that since it was made we should celebrate it no. Not all history or art should be celebrate and that's not the same thing as forgetting it. I'm not saying it should be forgotten.

To echo LovinDecatur "Respect the carving for what it is...our history, warts and all." well i'm simply calling it what it is a wart. Warts are not celebrated their just told. This is why the carving is bigger than MT Rushmore but yet most people just in AL wouldn't even know it exist. Things worth civic pride are thought to united people, itself the caving is divisive. The golden gate bridge unite people, the statue of liberty unite people. Space Needle unite people, The St Louis Arch unite people. and etc. The Stone Mountain caving divides people.

What are we suppose say hay come to Georgia and visited the stone mountain caving that was organize by racial supremacist. We are just proud it, it represent us. ) again I don't care if it's change or not. But if are going to say history let's talk about the history.

Old 05-04-2013, 05:50 PM

Are you sure those monuments (St. Louis Arch etc.) weren't supported by racists or other negative groups? I'm not. I think you're just losing sight of the larger picture of the Stone Mountain carving because you actually know who financed it and you're aware of it's history. Look back at some of the works of art that were done in the U.S 100 years ago - I bet you can find plenty that have a racist history.

Should we destroy it all? You're argument just does not make any sense.

Last edited by JoeTarheel; 05-04-2013 at 06:13 PM..

Old 05-04-2013, 06:03 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,859,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
[/b]

You are correct, watching those programs is a waste of time and energy and keep your WE to yourself.

I haven't watched television in about 15 years and what little I've seen while at someone else's home is beyond trash so I know I am not missing a thing.
I absolutely agree that watching "those programs" is a waste of time and energy. However, I was specifically referring to the efforts of the petitioner.

Old 05-04-2013, 06:53 PM

62 posts, read 94,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
People who use the phrase "War of Northern Agression" to downplay slavery's role in the Civil War are on the same level as those who deny the Holocaust ...
Trying to compare genocide to a war over economics is very weak on your part...

Old 05-04-2013, 06:56 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,938,780 times
The pyramids of Egypt are monuments to slavery but you don't see anybody advocating destroying those.

History is ever-changing. It builds upon itself. Generations from now, people will still be gazing at that carving on the side of Stone Mountain and it will help them further understand a period of American history long "gone with the wind." To meddle in history -- to try to change it to make us feel better in the present -- is akin to book burning. It's dangerous and futile and ultimately destroys knowledge.

Old 05-04-2013, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Well I can't rep you anymore right now arjay. Good answer.
Just because he highlights everytime slavery or a suggestion to slavery is mentioned does not mean that is reason for the Civil War.

Old 05-04-2013, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbyb03 View Post
Just because he highlights everytime slavery or a suggestion to slavery is mentioned does not mean that is reason for the Civil War.
He posted a quote from Georgia's Declaration of Secession with a link...I haven't seen you post anything similar to support your argument. We all know the reasons for the Civil War - it's not some big mystery that's hard to dissect.

Old 05-04-2013, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
The pyramids of Egypt are monuments to slavery but you don't see anybody advocating destroying those.

History is ever-changing. It builds upon itself. Generations from now, people will still be gazing at that carving on the side of Stone Mountain and it will help them further understand a period of American history long "gone with the wind." To meddle in history -- to try to change it to make us feel better in the present -- is akin to book burning. It's dangerous and futile and ultimately destroys knowledge.
Excellent post.

Old 05-04-2013, 07:21 PM

Quote:
He posted a quote from Georgia's Declaration of Secession with a link...I haven't seen you post anything similar to support your argument. We all know the reasons for the Civil War - it's not some big mystery that's hard to dissect.
Did you actually read the document? Just because the word slavery is mentioned that doesn't mean that was the cause of the war. If it was all about the slavery, the union could have paid every single slave owner, throughout the country, for their slaves and it would have been next to nothing compared to the costs of the war. It was about economics, plain and simple. The north wanted to limit the south trading with other countries by forcing them to buy northern goods. Increase tariffs and imports drop... Since you don't want to open your mind up past the propaganda produced after the war in regards to its causes, this discussion is becoming pointless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta