Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 01:19 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,067,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
It was probably attempted robbery
They didn't even take the guy's wallet.

EAV has gotten extremely dangerous. I still go, but would never ever live there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2013, 01:38 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,883,781 times
Something to consider when considering a "safe" place to live: You are about twice as likely to die driving to your home 30 miles further away (to a fictional neighborhood with zero murders) than you are to be murdered in Atlanta.

Math: Homicide rate in ATL: 0.000177 per year. 1.5 deaths per 100,000,000 million miles driven. 30 miles X 2 X 365 = 21900 = 0.0003285 deaths per year.

Old 06-05-2013, 01:40 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,396,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Something to consider when considering a "safe" place to live: You are about twice as likely to die driving to your home 30 miles further away (to a fictional neighborhood with zero murders) than you are to be murdered in Atlanta.

Math: Homicide rate in ATL: 0.000177 per year. 1.5 deaths per 100,000,000 million miles driven. 30 miles X 2 X 365 = 21900 = 0.0003285 deaths per year.
True, but I'm far less likely to get mugged, or have my house broken into or my car stolen......

Old 06-05-2013, 01:43 PM

139 posts, read 231,770 times
If SE Atlanta is the destination, Reynoldstown would be near the bottom on my list. It is the "crimiest" IMO and the schools (Whitefoord, Coan, Jackson) all have quite a ways to go.

Also, R-town lacks a central, binding feature - no major park, no school, no restaurant district/village - and has a lot of industrial property in and around.

It seems inevitable that R-town will be a solid 'hood one day simply based on geography, but I don't think that day has come yet.

Old 06-05-2013, 01:44 PM

1,709 posts, read 3,427,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
There is nothing wrong with South of DeKalb Ave, Its that type of ignorant thoughts that hold some of the neighborhoods back.
To answer the OP questions:
Yes. The area has affordable homes, on the BeltLine, close to amenities at the Edgewood Retail District, and walkable. Crime is mostly petty, eg: car thefts, etc. The area is part of the Jackson cluster, which is seeing a great deal of parent involvement and improving from getting a determined administration.
Ignorant. I own property all over Atlanta. I have owned in Reynoldstown and the surrounding area. Still do actually. I focus on condos, so I'll start there.

Milltown Lofts. Had to kick out a guy who was dealing drugs from our unit. Upon inspection of the unit when we finally got him out of there, multiple unused shotgun shells and 9mm casings on the floor.

Oakland Park Condominiums. Rape last year. Theft in the parking lot is almost a daily concurrence.

Bartender shot/killed few years ago. Multiple recent violent crimes.

You yell ignorance from your high horse, I give you straight, FIRST HAND accounts.

If you think it is a great place to let your son Jim walk down the street to go to the playground, so be it. I sure as hell do not agree with you. Raising a family there is hardly ideal for me. It's actually one of the last places in Atlanta I would consider.

Great if you're young, street smart ....

Old 06-05-2013, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
EAV has gotten extremely dangerous. I still go, but would never ever live there.
Supposedly the purp dropped the wallet after he was pepper sprayed after he shot Patrick. But still cold blooded murder and entirely unacceptable.

I live three blocks away. Just walked to the village last night. It is not quite the war-zone you make it sound like.

Old 06-05-2013, 01:54 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,885,403 times
Quote:
Milltown Lofts. Had to kick out a guy who was dealing drugs from our unit. Upon inspection of the unit when we finally got him out of there, multiple unused shotgun shells and 9mm casings on the floor.
Drug dealing goes on anywhere and I would be packing too if I was in the business.

Old 06-05-2013, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
True, but I'm far less likely to get mugged, or have my house broken into or my car stolen......
But far more likely to be injured and destroy property in a car accident than from a mugging or robbery in your home in ATL: 0.044 car accident (200.8 accidents per 100 million miles) vs 0.004 mugging, 0.015 for Burglary. Again this risk is assuming the home 30 miles away has zero crime.

Take your risks where you choose. But on a whole I think living in town is all together safer. Not to mention it correlates with a healthier lifestyle.

Old 06-05-2013, 02:17 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,305,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seatlien View Post
If SE Atlanta is the destination, Reynoldstown would be near the bottom on my list. It is the "crimiest" IMO and the schools (Whitefoord, Coan, Jackson) all have quite a ways to go.

Also, R-town lacks a central, binding feature - no major park, no school, no restaurant district/village - and has a lot of industrial property in and around.

It seems inevitable that R-town will be a solid 'hood one day simply based on geography, but I don't think that day has come yet.
The Beltline runs right through the middle of Reynoldstown. Right now, it's still just a strip of land, but the paved pathway will be laid soon. I'd say that's a pretty good central, binding feature.

They also have a row of art galleries, a handful of restaurants, WonderRoot, a very popular dog park/coffee shop/bar, and a nice sized neighborhood park and community center (Lang-Carson).

Old 06-05-2013, 02:26 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,067,750 times
The question is whether you would raise a family in Reynoldstown.

Presumably, your child would not be riding in the car with you every day on your commute to and from work. So even considering traffic accident data, the question is, would you be willing to take on more personal risk yourself in order to limit the risk of your family?

Also, traffic accidents are more preventable than violent crime in terms of what you can do (drive defensively!). Violent crime, is far less predictable. Patrick had lived in East Atlanta for years, so I assume he knew how to "walk with a purpose and not make eye contact" which a lot of people here think is all you need to not be shot (ha!). Didn't seem to work this time.

The question wasn't would you live in this area. The question was, would you raise a family there.

Sounds like some of us would, others wouldn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta