Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 08:05 PM

924 posts, read 1,459,590 times

Advertisements

Nope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 08:30 AM

1,711 posts, read 3,435,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by essdeebee View Post
gumboula -- can I ask what neighborhood and established school you are now enjoying? We live near where you moved from and are looking for something like what you moved to! thanks !
If just ITP near me, she is most likely either High Point (Fulton) or Montgomery (Dekalb). Montgomery is where we are. Few years away from using it. Another one to look at is Heards Ferry.

We had planned to move back to Heards Ferry, but looking more and more like we're going to stay put ...maybe move, maybe add-on, but most likely stay relatively close to where we are now.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:05 AM

40 posts, read 68,649 times
Thanks! I've heard good things about Montgomery, but trying to avoid DeKalb schools altogether. I have started looking at Heards Ferry/High Point, feeding to Riverwood High. What do you think? While I want a better neighborhood and schools, I don't want to swing too far the other way to 'upscale' and much of the trappings that can tend to bring, which don't fit with our lifestyle and how we want to raise our kids.

Old 06-10-2013, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by essdeebee View Post
Thanks! I've heard good things about Montgomery, but trying to avoid DeKalb schools altogether. I have started looking at Heards Ferry/High Point, feeding to Riverwood High. What do you think? While I want a better neighborhood and schools, I don't want to swing too far the other way to 'upscale' and much of the trappings that can tend to bring, which don't fit with our lifestyle and how we want to raise our kids.
I actually did the Heards Ferry > Riverwood experience and think it is great, particularly the magnet segment. I have a friend who teaches at High Point. She would have never sent her kids there a few years ago, but now says it is a great school and wouldn't flinch at sending her kids there. I really don't think you can't go wrong at either.

Both areas have some VERY upscale areas, more Heards Ferry than High Point. Part of the reason that I like Montgomery. All of the neighborhoods are modest for the most part with a few exceptions. A lot of down to earth people and great little walking community. Walk to the park, and stores on Ashford Dunwoody.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:09 AM

Article in AJC.

Residents: Crime perception based on painful fact | www.ajc.com

Old 07-15-2013, 12:42 PM

2,437 posts, read 3,863,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL Golfer View Post
Interesting article... I'm going to steal it to use in a separate post. Thanks for sharing.

Old 07-24-2013, 02:36 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,904,515 times
Very relevant for those moving out of the city for safety reasons: Country life riskier than city living, U.S. study shows | Reuters

Old 07-25-2013, 12:18 PM

924 posts, read 1,459,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Very relevant for those moving out of the city for safety reasons: Country life riskier than city living, U.S. study shows | Reuters
I don't think that is at all relevant for 99% of metro Atlanta residents. They are talking about the most rural counties in the country and things like limited access to trauma centers. You would have to move pretty far outside Atlanta to be considered living in a county like that.

Old 07-26-2013, 06:13 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,904,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westau View Post
I don't think that is at all relevant for 99% of metro Atlanta residents. They are talking about the most rural counties in the country and things like limited access to trauma centers. You would have to move pretty far outside Atlanta to be considered living in a county like that.
"Even going into the suburbs dropped your safety a little bit" -This study

Old 07-26-2013, 06:25 AM

148 posts, read 232,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Not at all relevant to the conversation. The article is not referring to safety from crime, but safety from having a personal accident (car-crash) and not having proper care nearby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta