Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 07:43 PM

10,397 posts, read 11,531,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deacongirl View Post
Seconding Brookhaven around the Capitol City Club--I used to run in that neighborhood and it is just beautiful.
I third that...Brookhaven is a great area!

...As long as your kids are in PRIVATE SCHOOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 07:48 PM

13 posts, read 21,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMMom View Post
Brookhaven is an easy drive to Perimeter. Straight shot up Ashford-Dunwoody Rd. If you're considering that, be sure to look at Marist (Catholic school, grades 7-12), as it's right there on Ashford-Dunwoody and you could easily drop kids on your way to work.

BTW, my ex-boyfriend from college went to Ransom Everglades, so I'm familiar with the school (albeit from years ago).
Any idea how the North Buckhead private schools compare to Ransom?

Old 06-25-2013, 07:53 PM

2,240 posts, read 5,865,012 times
No, not really. He was there in the mid to late 80's, so it's been a long time. But Westminster, in particular, has probably one of the highest (if not the highest) name recognitions of schools in the entire SE when it comes to college admissions. The endowment there is on par with many colleges. Come to town for a week in Oct/Nov and tour the schools. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. Be sure to look at Westminster, Lovett, Pace, Woodward, Holy Innocents', Marist, and St. Pius. Include Mt. Vernon and Whitefield if you have extra time.

Old 06-25-2013, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
GablesFamily,

Have you considered Dunwoody? There are some lovely older homes (30-40+ yrs.) there that should fit your price point. There are also some lovely newer traditional style homes here and there that you may like. It's close to Perimeter Center and some nice, non-chain restaurants. Dunwoody is very green and has mature landscaping. People seem to be friendly. It's also not that far from Buckhead for some great restaurants. The Perimeter Mall and environs has about any shopping you'd desire, and Lenox and Phipps in Buckhead for upscale shopping is not that far away. Also there is a movie theater in the Perimeter area. I don't know if you'll find the shopping area in Atlanta to be anything like the Miracle Mile in Coral Gables. The MARTA stops in Sandy Springs station and is wonderful to take if you want to head to the airport. The MARTA travels inside the terminal, so you can just hop off and head for the gates.

Traffic around Perimeter Center is heavy at rush hour. Be sure to add some time for this into your commute. I think Milton, though lovely, may be a bit too far for you. It's north of Alpharetta.
I will add Dunwoody to the list. Thank you.

The traffic in and around the Perimeter is intense especially on Friday afternoons. The first time I drove myself to the airport it took me 42 mins just to get on 285. As a result I now jump on MARTA since it is very reliable.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:05 PM

10,397 posts, read 11,531,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gablesfamily View Post
I will add Dunwoody to the list. Thank you.

The traffic in and around the Perimeter is intense especially on Friday afternoons. The first time I drove myself to the airport it took me 42 mins just to get on 285. As a result I now jump on MARTA since it is very reliable.
...We'll have to mark this occasion down.

MARTA getting a good review of any kind these days is somewhat of a rarity around these parts (in Metro Atlanta)...It's almost hard to believe what I just read.

Old 06-25-2013, 09:45 PM

924 posts, read 1,457,741 times
Quote:
Morningside and VH both appear very nice but I'm worried about the commute. Anybody have any idea how long it would take? Is it a reverse commute in the morning and evening?
Reverse commutes don't exist here as much in the 400/downtown connector as they do in other areas. Both directions of the downtown connector in the afternoons gets very slow and the top end of I-285 does as well.

With that said I would limit your search to Buckhead/Brookhaven/Sandy Springs/Roswell and maybe parts of East Cobb to stay within that 30 minute commute time even with some traffic. Most of those aren't super walkable but if you could get a house near downtown Roswell you might have that option. As far as schools go generally stay out of Dekalb County and if you do choose to live ITP you might prefer sticking with private school for the kids.

Old 06-26-2013, 06:24 AM

2,307 posts, read 3,000,221 times
Been thinking about you, OP! Vinings is great--but it is to the west--I don't see why you would choose it, since you are working near Perimeter Mall area. Also, Vinings is convenient to Pace/Lovett/Westminster, but not to Mt Vernon, Holy Innocents, or Marist. Since you don't know which school yet, I'd shoot for Sandy Springs, Buckhead, Brookhaven--these are close to your work, and convenient to both the Buckhead schools and the schools to the east. . .

Close-in Sandy Springs would give you the option of public school for high school. What about St. Martin's (Episcopal school that goes through 8th grade) then Riverwood Charter High (public high school)? This would give you a break on the tuition for the high school years.

Keep in mind that city of Atlanta property taxes are very high, as well. I know my husband hates to write that tax check, when we also pay private school tuition, although I admit we do it because we like living near the kids' schools (we have one in Buckhead private, one in the Chastain Park area). Sandy Springs taxes would be a little less. For a $1M house in Atlanta, your taxes will be ~$20K annually.

From what you have said--old neighborhoods, walkability-- a subdivision in East Cobb or Roswell would be a big change from what you are used to, but perhaps the pros would be worth it: swim/tennis, neighbors in the same stage of life, great public schools, etc. However, your kids are getting older, maybe it would be worth it for yall to be in town. In seven years, you will be empty-nesters and you might want to explore the city.

(downtown Roswell does offer some cute eclectic shops and restaurants. . .maybe best of both worlds?)

Old 06-26-2013, 07:24 AM

550 posts, read 990,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlJan View Post
Been thinking about you, OP! Vinings is great--but it is to the west--I don't see why you would choose it, since you are working near Perimeter Mall area. Also, Vinings is convenient to Pace/Lovett/Westminster, but not to Mt Vernon, Holy Innocents, or Marist. Since you don't know which school yet, I'd shoot for Sandy Springs, Buckhead, Brookhaven--these are close to your work, and convenient to both the Buckhead schools and the schools to the east. . .

Close-in Sandy Springs would give you the option of public school for high school. What about St. Martin's (Episcopal school that goes through 8th grade) then Riverwood Charter High (public high school)? This would give you a break on the tuition for the high school years.

Keep in mind that city of Atlanta property taxes are very high, as well. I know my husband hates to write that tax check, when we also pay private school tuition, although I admit we do it because we like living near the kids' schools (we have one in Buckhead private, one in the Chastain Park area). Sandy Springs taxes would be a little less. For a $1M house in Atlanta, your taxes will be ~$20K annually.

From what you have said--old neighborhoods, walkability-- a subdivision in East Cobb or Roswell would be a big change from what you are used to, but perhaps the pros would be worth it: swim/tennis, neighbors in the same stage of life, great public schools, etc. However, your kids are getting older, maybe it would be worth it for yall to be in town. In seven years, you will be empty-nesters and you might want to explore the city.

(downtown Roswell does offer some cute eclectic shops and restaurants. . .maybe best of both worlds?)
I agree with all of this. Wishing you the best! Your family has some wonderful options.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlJan View Post

Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated.

Coincidentally, a colleague suggested that I look at both the Mill Creek Road area of East Cobb and near Roswell center as alternatives to Buckhead and Historic Brookhaven. He believes these are the "most similar" OTP neighborhoods to what I am accustomed to in Coral Gables, albeit not exactly the same. The tradeoff, however, is excellent public schools and significantly less $$ for property taxes.

Another area that is intriguing (based on a two-minute drive-by to avoid traffic) is the extreme west-side of Sandy Springs between Arlington Memorial Park and the River. I don't like the McMansions on Heards Ferry Road but some of the area has potential. Thoughts on this area?

Based on my self-inflicted criteria and the collective advice from each of you, I am going to concentrate my efforts in the Buckhead/Brookhaven neighborhoods as our ITP options. These neighborhoods 'feel' like Coral Gables. By "feel" I mean ambience, character and the pain that sets in when one pays the massive ad valorem property taxes and private school tuition. The eastern side of East Cobb (Mill Creek Road, etc.) and just south of Roswell town center will be our OTP options. [Subject to change depending on feedback concerning the west-side of Sandy Springs as indicated above.]

With that said, if (and, that is a big and expensive "if") we settle on one of the ITP neighborhoods, how does Pace Academy compare with Westminster and Lovett? What about Marist? If (and, that is a massive $$ saving "if") we settle on an OTP neighborhood, is there much difference in the public high schools between East Cobb and Roswell?

Thanks again in advance. You guys are great and extremely helpful.

Old 06-26-2013, 12:50 PM

280 posts, read 390,104 times
Quote:

With that said, if (and, that is a big and expensive "if") we settle on one of the ITP neighborhoods, how does Pace Academy compare with Westminster and Lovett? What about Marist? If (and, that is a massive $$ saving "if") we settle on an OTP neighborhood, is there much difference in the public high schools between East Cobb and Roswell?
All the schools are excellent choices. Westminster is the top academic school in the Southeast (Conflict of interest note: My wife, 3 children and I are graduates). If you look at college admissions it is in a category by itself. If you child is very academically inclined, it is a great school, but it is not for every child. Pace, Lovett and Marist are all outstanding academic schools, among the best in the city (Paideia and Woodward would be others in that category). Traditionally, Lovett has been considered the strongest of the other 3 for academics, but Pace and Marist have definitely improved. Pace is a slightly smaller school, but is building a new facility. Westminster, Lovett and Marist have outstanding sports programs with Marist's being the best (they compete in a higher classification than their enrollment, giving them a more challenging schedule). Pace has been building new sports facilities and has been improving. All four have outstanding arts programs with Westminster's probably being the best.

In terms of character, I know Westminster and Lovett well. They were traditionally mainline Protestant Schools and have fairly similar student bodies. There are a lot of families who have students at both schools. Westminster maintains a Bible requirement (which I believe Lovett dropped), but has many non-Christian students (Marist is Catholic and has religion requirements as well). Both offer a good number of scholarships with Westminster having a little more money for this purpose. At Westminster, these funds tend to go to very academic kids entering in 6-7th grade. Both schools have enough minorities to have some diversity (most often those kids are from wealthy families and not the scholarship kids) and have programs in place to minimize bullying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta