Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 06:55 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,139,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanarkand A East View Post
I still remember the Charlotte and NASCAR fans gloating about this years ago. I go to Charlotte annually for the Falcons-Panthers game, and the HOF looks like a white elephant, even in Uptown. Oddly enough, the gloaters told us to "enjoy the fish tank," which apparently millions of visitors have done, while the HOF is hemorrhaging cash.
Yeah, the aquarium is extremely successful getting tourists from other states. I see crowds around there ALL THE TIME. There's no wonder that areas turning into an entertainment center. We just need that Times Square development to come and complete that neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 08:28 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,218,275 times
The biggest reason that people aren't letting this go, at least not now that this article has come out, is because of how people badmouthed downtown Atlanta during the 2006 bid process. We've missed out on other development (Time Warner to Tampa and Chiquita to Charlotte), but at least people weren't trashing our city. They've earned a few "I told you so's" after that fiasco.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Yeah, the aquarium is extremely successful getting tourists from other states. I see crowds around there ALL THE TIME. There's no wonder that areas turning into an entertainment center. We just need that Times Square development to come and complete that neighborhood.
I can't wait to see this project happen. Between that, the National Health Museum, the new Hyatt across from the Aquarium, the CFHOF, and the CCHR, the Centennial Park area has really taken flight lately.

To anyone who thinks civil rights and college football tourism are niche markets, well, welcome to Atlanta!

Old 08-23-2013, 09:20 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
Quote:
welcome to Atlanta!
Where the playas, play!

Old 08-23-2013, 12:02 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
The biggest reason that people aren't letting this go, at least not now that this article has come out, is because of how people badmouthed downtown Atlanta during the 2006 bid process. We've missed out on other development (Time Warner to Tampa and Chiquita to Charlotte), but at least people weren't trashing our city. They've earned a few "I told you so's" after that fiasco.
What people? Folks who comment on articles on the Internet? And aren't there enough metro Atlantans who badmouth Atlanta's downtown, both online and in person?

Methinks that to be a silly excuse for Atlanta to engage in such a display of poor showmanship here. And besides, that was a full 7 years ago--almost the span of two consecutive presidential administrations. Let it go already.

Old 08-23-2013, 12:27 PM

1,969 posts, read 3,598,169 times
I've been in Charlotte for 3 years, and have zero interest in going to the "HOF." Nor have I had any family express interest while visiting. They don't do very much to promote it here, it's just kind of there. Plus, it's not in a good location. It's located on the edge of the uptown area, in a location that is best know for people heading home from work.

Old 08-23-2013, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
What people? Folks who comment on articles on the Internet? And aren't there enough metro Atlantans who badmouth Atlanta's downtown, both online and in person?

Methinks that to be a silly excuse for Atlanta to engage in such a display of poor showmanship here. And besides, that was a full 7 years ago--almost the span of two consecutive presidential administrations. Let it go already.
People I met in Charlotte, in person: I go there every year for the Falcons-Panthers game. There's no poor showmanship in bringing it up after 7 years because it was in reference to information that came to light this week. You let it go already.

Old 08-23-2013, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchief1 View Post
I've been in Charlotte for 3 years, and have zero interest in going to the "HOF." Nor have I had any family express interest while visiting. They don't do very much to promote it here, it's just kind of there. Plus, it's not in a good location. It's located on the edge of the uptown area, in a location that is best know for people heading home from work.
I worked in Charlotte for a short time, and I can attest to this.

Old 08-23-2013, 01:35 PM

298 posts, read 373,941 times
Quote:

I can't wait to see this project happen. Between that, the National Health Museum, the new Hyatt across from the Aquarium, the CFHOF, and the CCHR, the Centennial Park area has really taken flight lately.

To anyone who thinks civil rights and college football tourism are niche markets, well, welcome to Atlanta!
From what I've heard the "Times Square South" or 285 Marietta Street project is as good as dead. The developers might work with an apartment company to put up an apartment tower.

Old 08-23-2013, 01:37 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,527,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrythesnake View Post
I wonder if this would have happen if it would have came to Atlanta?

NASCAR Hall of Fame loses $1.6M - Atlanta Business Chronicle

As Atlanta gears up for the grand openings of the College Football Hall of Fame and the National Center for Civil and Human Rights, it can also count its blessings the NASCAR Hall of Fame crashed in Charlotte, N.C.The NASCAR Hall of Fame, which chose Charlotte over Atlanta in 2006, lost $1.6 million during the fiscal year ended June 30, 2013. And the $200 million auto racing museum, which opened in May 2010, has run deficits since its inception.
Read more about the museum’s attendance problems and other woes here.
Atlanta officials envisioned the NASCAR museum as part of the resurgence around Centennial Olympic park, home to The World of Coca-Cola, Georgia Aquarium and SkyView Ferris Wheel. The College Football Hall of Fame is scheduled to open near the park in fall 2014 and attract 500,000 visitors annually.
The National Center for Civil and Human Rights is scheduled to open in summer 2014.
That College football thing is going to fail too. What a waste of time and the HBCU wont get any love there either, so whats the point?

Old 08-23-2013, 01:40 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,527,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I am also hesitant to knock Charlotte until we see how our own museums do.
The Civil Rights will be hot for a few years. College Football though?? Not everyone likes college football, plus they dont even need a hall of fame, hall of fame is for PROFESSIONAL Football players not College.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta