Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2013, 11:42 AM

566 posts, read 889,118 times

Advertisements

I have a Brazilian friend of mine who is coming to Atl later this year. He is interested in the city, but he is particularly interested in seeing "real" black culture. Given the fact the city is repeatedly called a "Black Mecca" what sorts of things could he do to see more of it. Other than riding MARTA and going to a soul food place (I kid I kid.. well kind of lol) what could we do? Also keep in mind we are young and not opposed to nightlife. Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2013, 12:23 PM

1,637 posts, read 2,629,675 times
-MLK Center
-Drive him around Cascade Rd and out to Lithonia to see the upper middle class AA homes
-Take him to Magic City if he is here on Monday
- AUC
-Creflo Dollar church
- since you are young take him to Reign on Friday and Compound on Saturday
-APEX museum
-Hammonds House
Etc

Old 10-01-2013, 12:26 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,130,036 times
Just take him to Vine City or Bankhead.

Old 10-01-2013, 01:30 PM

9 posts, read 10,129 times
lol he wants to see rappers and magic city strippers lmao

Old 10-01-2013, 01:41 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,236,418 times
Bring him down to the Tri-Cities! You could take MARTA to East Point and check out Taco Pete - kickass wings and tacos, great "american" food and a good cultural experience. If you are more in the mood for BBQ, check out pitboss in Hapeville, the best BBQ in Atlanta. Both are black owned with large majority black customers.

If you want to show him the "real black culture" in Atlanta, please don't just go to the ghetto and thuggish events. I hate it when all people think of black folks in Atlanta is the hood and rap.

And yall should go to a strip club or two

Old 10-01-2013, 02:22 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,856,240 times
Take him to Ann's Snack Bar for a Ghetto Burger. That's a great Atlanta experience.
Blue Flame
Diamonds of Atlanta

Old 10-01-2013, 02:27 PM

566 posts, read 889,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
Bring him down to the Tri-Cities! You could take MARTA to East Point and check out Taco Pete - kickass wings and tacos, great "american" food and a good cultural experience. If you are more in the mood for BBQ, check out pitboss in Hapeville, the best BBQ in Atlanta. Both are black owned with large majority black customers.

If you want to show him the "real black culture" in Atlanta, please don't just go to the ghetto and thuggish events. I hate it when all people think of black folks in Atlanta is the hood and rap.

haha I'll consider, but your recomendations are more of what I was looking for. I really don't want to show "thug life" because seriously.. that's played out. -___- It's such a narrow perspective of the black experience its ridiculous. But I was thinking of showing both the "Ratched" and the "Ritzy", but more ritzy because everyone gets enough ratched on movies and TV.

Old 10-01-2013, 02:32 PM

3,421 posts, read 5,217,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post

I was thinking the same thing. As I read the suggestions, it's embarrassing for me as a black person that when people think of black culture they automatically think rap music, fattening foods and black women shaking their rumps or stripping--pretty much every negative stereotype associated with blackness.

What's worse is that people see these things as something to be proud of.

Old 10-01-2013, 02:44 PM

725 posts, read 1,279,013 times
Definitely
The MLK center
The Apex museum
The AUC

And take him to the bars out on Edgewood one night. One thing that is quite unique to Atlanta is our integrated night life. Yeah we have some bars that are lilly white and some that are very black, but at most places you will find a mix of people and music/culture. This is not found in very many places around the country, certainty not up north.

Old 10-01-2013, 02:44 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,236,418 times
Well, TBH, I did suggest fattening foods and some booty shaking!

But there is much more to black culture in the A. You just don't hear about it as much because its not very sensational like the other BS. WHICH IS GOOD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta