Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 06:55 AM

386 posts, read 668,867 times

Advertisements

....understand a word some of you Atlantans say!

I'm half black Puerto Rican from NYC and moved down here for work. I work around lots of African Americans and at first thought it was awesome to be around other dark skinned people (kinda felt like I stuck out weird at my old job in Manhattan). But I quickly realized trying to decipher what black Atlantans say is like trying to translate Japanese.

I have to admit the accent black people have down here is unique and not all of you guys speak unclearly to me. But a large majority speak like Rich Homie Quan and I have no clue what you say sometimes.

I don't mean any disrespect to anyone but if I have a family down here is there a good chance my kids will have this accent? Or is it mainly in black families that have been here for generations? People tell me I have a NY accent with a Spanish twist which throws a lot of people off because most people assume I'm just AA. Wondering if I'll be able to understand my own children lol or more importantly if others will.

This question is out of pure curiosity and if it offends you I really didnt mean to.

Old 10-10-2013, 08:03 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,860,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myspoonistoobig View Post
....understand a word some of you Atlantans say!

I'm half black Puerto Rican from NYC and moved down here for work. I work around lots of African Americans and at first thought it was awesome to be around other dark skinned people (kinda felt like I stuck out weird at my old job in Manhattan). But I quickly realized trying to decipher what black Atlantans say is like trying to translate Japanese.

I have to admit the accent black people have down here is unique and not all of you guys speak unclearly to me. But a large majority speak like Rich Homie Quan and I have no clue what you say sometimes.

I don't mean any disrespect to anyone but if I have a family down here is there a good chance my kids will have this accent? Or is it mainly in black families that have been here for generations? People tell me I have a NY accent with a Spanish twist which throws a lot of people off because most people assume I'm just AA. Wondering if I'll be able to understand my own children lol or more importantly if others will.

This question is out of pure curiosity and if it offends you I really didnt mean to.
I enjoyed the read and I understand your concern. My children are grammar school age and so far they haven't picked up the local dialect and accent. That said, we don't use, nor would we accept the use of certain words in our house, such as y'all. Although I can't speak Japanese, it's a very beautiful and rhythmic language.

I had to look up Rich Homie Quan. What kind of job do you have? Certainly, you're not working in a "professional" environment.

You are probably going to receive a lot of backlash for your question. Should be good!

Old 10-10-2013, 08:03 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,225,297 times
I'm am African-American and when I first moved here I couldn't understand a word anyone said to me either. It was like another language, and the locals would tell me I spoke too fast. You are not alone in this. It took me a while to adapt.

I've raised a daughter here and she doesn't have "that accent," perhaps because I don't have it, our family doesn't and none of her friends speak that way. If your kids are raised to not speak that way and their social circle doesn't, they should be fine.

But it does take some getting used to.

Old 10-10-2013, 08:07 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,404,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSides View Post
I enjoyed the read and I understand your concern. My children are grammar school age and so far they haven't picked up the local dialect and accent. That said, we don't use, nor would we accept the use of certain words in our house, such as y'all. Although I can't speak Japanese, it's a very beautiful and rhythmic language.

I had to look up Rich Homie Quan. What kind of job do you have? Certainly, you're not working in a "professional" environment.

You are probably going to receive a lot of backlash for your question. Should be good!
The word "y'all" is used pretty much nationwide. My buddy from NY who lives in Boston uses it and he has a PhD in genetics! Sure, it's more predominant in the south, but I don't think it has the stigma of ignorance or backwardness attached to it anymore. Heck, the President uses it and there is no doubt that he is an educated and wordly man (aside from what you may think of his politics).

Old 10-10-2013, 08:07 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,225,297 times
Funny enough I used to get into it with people at work when I first moved here. They tried to play me like I was slow because I couldn't understand them. I had to tell them that because they don't speak proper English, I don't know what they are saying to me.

Old 10-10-2013, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
The word "y'all" is used pretty much nationwide. My buddy from NY who lives in Boston uses it and he has a PhD in genetics! Sure, it's more predominant in the south, but I don't think it has the stigma of ignorance or backwardness attached to it anymore. Heck, the President uses it and there is no doubt that he is an educated and wordly man (aside from what you may think of his politics).
Brother Ansley, I don't care. My wife and I don't use it, nor will our children. I wasn't implying that the word y'all is exclusively Southern. Unacceptable, is all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
Funny enough I used to get into it with people at work when I first moved here. They tried to play me like I was slow because I couldn't understand them. I had to tell them that because they don't speak proper English, I don't know what they are saying to me.
I experienced the same when we lived in Memphis! I must have looked like this: .

Old 10-10-2013, 08:19 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,887,224 times
"y'all" is linguistically superior. Basically ever other major language has a plural version of the work "you" except for English, where it can be either singular or plural. "y'all" is that fix.

BTW, if you cannot understand people in the city don't try to go to exurb/rural Georgia. Atlantans generally have a pretty international / neutral accent.

Old 10-10-2013, 08:28 AM

3,875 posts, read 4,705,104 times
You certainly have the right to reject ""Y'all" but I have lived here for 34 years & long ago dropped the use of my equivalent former "You guys" that I learned during my midwestern upbringing. I gradually dropped it & now it sounds so awkward & unnatural to me & I don't want to sound as if I just stepped off of the set of "Laverne & Shirley". When I hear my brother use that phrase, along with "Pop" for soda, I chuckle to myself a bit. I guess that I find "You guys" as unnaceptable for myself now.
Perhaps after a lengthy stay in Georgia, you might see "Y'all " a bit differently" & then again, maybe you won't.

Old 10-10-2013, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
"y'all" is linguistically superior. Basically ever other major language has a plural version of the work "you" except for English, where it can be either singular or plural. "y'all" is that fix.

BTW, if you cannot understand people in the city don't try to go to exurb/rural Georgia. Atlantans generally have a pretty international / neutral accent.
That's an interesting bit of info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
You certainly have the right to reject ""Y'all" but I have lived here for 34 years & long ago dropped the use of my equivalent former "You guys" that I learned during my midwestern upbringing. I gradually dropped it & now it sounds so awkward & unnatural to me & I don't want to sound as if I just stepped off of the set of "Laverne & Shirley". When I hear my brother use that phrase, along with "Pop" for soda, I chuckle to myself a bit. I guess that I find "You guys" as unnaceptable for myself now.
Perhaps after a lengthy stay in Georgia, you might see "Y'all " a bit differently" & then again, maybe you won't.
It seems that only a small amount of Americans use the term "pop". I certainly did growing up. A Pepsi or Coke was something that we enjoyed when we were treated to McDonald's. Otherwise, my mom purchased the pop that was on sale. I was clowned a lot for using the term when I was in the military. Today, I call the pop by its proper name. I will occasionally drink a Mountain Dew for the caffeine. Otherwise, I'm against the stuff.

No, I won't use the word y'all.

Laverne and Shirley. You went way back!

Old 10-10-2013, 08:58 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,404,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSides View Post
That's an interesting bit of info.

It seems that only a small amount of Americans use the term "pop". I certainly did growing up. A Pepsi or Coke was something that we enjoyed when we were treated to McDonald's. Otherwise, my mom purchased the pop that was on sale. I was clowned a lot for using the term when I was in the military. Today, I call the pop by its proper name. I will occasionally drink a Mountain Dew for the caffeine. Otherwise, I'm against the stuff.

No, I won't use the word y'all.

Laverne and Shirley. You went way back!
What term does your family use in place of y'all?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta