Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 04:02 PM

550 posts, read 989,506 times

Advertisements

That faded away eons ago? Tell that to the black kid who got thrown in jail and accused of stealing a belt he had purchased at Barney's in NYC.

Old 10-23-2013, 06:48 PM

1,151 posts, read 1,309,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
And how many of the protesters that were holding up signs and fanning the flames outside the courthouse even understood the law? Uh, lemme see...oh, probably none. This was simply a reaction to the usual talking heads that were trying whip up the same frenzy over a supposed race situation that faded away eons ago.
If such a situation still exists at all, I think we know who perpetuates it.
Lol. You can't seriously believe racism is gone and we are all singling kumbaya. You are really starting to sound like Georgian white now.

Black College Student Arrested For Buying A Designer Belt, Barneys & NYPD Slapped With Lawsuit (UPDATE)

Old 10-23-2013, 07:31 PM

23,463 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhammaster View Post
Lol. You can't seriously believe racism is gone and we are all singling kumbaya. You are really starting to sound like Georgian white now.

Black College Student Arrested For Buying A Designer Belt, Barneys & NYPD Slapped With Lawsuit (UPDATE)
Cherry picking. Huffington Post? Really? This is the best you can bring?
Georgian White...sounds like a good color for my living room.

Old 10-23-2013, 08:34 PM

3,874 posts, read 4,697,874 times
So only one side used talking heads, I guess, huh? Really? Right!
Neither side was completely innocent in the ways they used the mass media to manipulate the general public & if you don't know that, or have never seen that in legal cases before, then you have missed a lot or are always completely in the pocket of one side in various cases to such a degree that you can't see how the case is often tried in the court of public media by both sides.
And dare I borrow your, "I think we know who perpetuates it." to say that I lay blame for some of the hysteria in the Martin case on the NRA which is rolling in money to bankroll something they are experts at: a campaign of fear & misinformation to push people into a frenzy that their guns are going to be confiscated.
Speaking of hysteria-inspired mass campaigns, have you seen the circulating e-mails supporting this claim that are mindlessly being passed on regarding this falsehood? Nobody ever seems to ever stop to verify the stupid stuff they are reading & swallowing whole before they pass the e-mail crap on to the next person.
I've had one in my inbox repeatedly that claims that Obama is organizing a new faction of Brown Shirts, that borrows from the Nazi German history, that will seize our guns & imprison people in camps.
What ever happened to personal responsibility for verifying information or an e-mail before you disseminate it? That's BEFORE in case you missed what I wrote.
Oh, and what Obama voted for as a senator in the Illinois legislature is quite different than being able to simply say that he voted for "Stand your ground."
Get your glasses out & study the finer points in the link below of what David Weigel wrote in Slate Magazine regarding the vote that Obama cast.
"Stand your ground": No, President Obama didn't support it in Illinois.

Old 10-23-2013, 08:37 PM

Whatever happened to honesty? Baldfaced truth?

Old 10-23-2013, 08:41 PM

3,874 posts, read 4,697,874 times
It's in seriously short supply even though we have instantaneous access to the perpetual news cycle. Is this what technology has brought us to?

Old 10-23-2013, 08:47 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Did any of these stories reach the level of media hysteria that the Trayvon Martin case did? No. But you knew that already.
For some reason, I knew you were going to bring that up; surely I thought by now that everyone knew why that particular story became national the way it did. The fact of the matter is that no other case in recent memory in which a Black person was killed by a White/non-Black person was as big of a story either. Using the exception to disprove the norm is an epic fail on your part. Hell, even since that incident, there are two other stories I know of in which a Black person was killed by a White person that weren't big national stories:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_1...ct-of-justice/
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012...ver-loud-music

Either way, you have been proven wrong. National media regularly reports crime in which a Black person is the assailant and a White person is the victim.

Old 10-23-2013, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
For some reason, I knew you were going to bring that up; surely I thought by now that everyone knew why that particular story became national the way it did. The fact of the matter is that no other case in recent memory in which a Black person was killed by a White/non-Black person was as big of a story either. Using the exception to disprove the norm is an epic fail on your part. Hell, even since that incident, there are two other stories I know of in which a Black person was killed by a White person that weren't big national stories:

Darius Simmons Murder: John Henry Spooner, Wis. man guilty of killing teen neighbor, testifies shooting was act of "justice" - Crimesider - CBS News
Florida man pleads not guilty to shooting teen to death over loud music - U.S. News

Either way, you have been proven wrong. National media regularly reports crime in which a Black person is the assailant and a White person is the victim.
Local? Yes. National? No. Nor will they. They dont have the guts.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:14 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Local? Yes. National? No. Nor will they. They dont have the guts.
I just showed you links from national media outlets, yet you persist in your delusion because your agenda trumps all else. Sad.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I just showed you links from national media outlets, yet you persist in your delusion because your agenda trumps all else. Sad.
You're trying to compare these stories to the Trayvon Martin case in terms of media coverage? Now thats sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta