Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 08:34 AM

1,697 posts, read 2,249,093 times

Advertisements

"Sparkles Lindsey has been arrested at least SEVEN times (on assault related charges) and was out of jail on a work release program."

We should throw people with that many assault charges into solitary for eternity. Let's stop feeling sorry for these losers and clean house, round up everyone with over five assault charges and the city would be like Mayberry. I refuse to believe it's more ethical to be easy on them and think they can be "rehabilitated".

Edit: the Mayberry comment only refers to crime rate and quirky barbers.

Old 10-25-2013, 09:29 AM

4,749 posts, read 4,321,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey86 View Post
"Sparkles Lindsey has been arrested at least SEVEN times (on assault related charges) and was out of jail on a work release program."

We should throw people with that many assault charges into solitary for eternity. Let's stop feeling sorry for these losers and clean house, round up everyone with over five assault charges and the city would be like Mayberry. I refuse to believe it's more ethical to be easy on them and think they can be "rehabilitated".

Edit: the Mayberry comment only refers to crime rate and quirky barbers.
As sad as it is, I agree. Yes, there are things that p*ss me off. The most I'll ever do is call them a name (like dumba*s or as*shole) and give them the finger. I could never justify putting my hands on someone or God forbid shooting them.

For instance, Chris Brown would be one of those people. He just has a history of losing his temper. It's sad because he's a great singer and a phenomenal dancer. I really liked him. At one point I even had a little crush on him. But he's just a violent person - some instances off the top of my head:

1) Snatching a phone from a fan who was taking a picture of him (2 different occasions)
2) Refusing to pay the valet (only $10 & he drives a Lamborghini
3) That fight in the club last summer
4) Beating up Rihanna
5) His Twitter beefs (and afterwards he deletes them)

Something went wrong when these violent people were being raised (in the black community it's usually because of a lack of structure and absentee fathers).

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
And those aren't the only comments I've heard. On another report, what I hear are some people doing nothing but complaining about Black people. I actually just wanted to put this act on violence in its proper perspective. It soon turned into something crazy.
I think a lot of the issues within the black community stem from not having a father (or father-figure) and being raised by women who don't know how to act like women.

In the 1940s, 19% of black children were born out of wedlock.
In 1965 (Civil Rights era), 25% of black children were born out of wedlock.
In 1991, 68% of black children were born out of wedlock.
In 2011, 72% of black children are born out of wedlock.

Last edited by Pinkmani; 10-25-2013 at 09:44 AM..

Old 10-25-2013, 10:12 AM

550 posts, read 989,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by

I think a lot of the issues within the black community stem from not having a father (or father-figure) and being raised by [B
women who don't know how to act like women.[/b]
How should women act?

Old 10-25-2013, 10:18 AM

4,749 posts, read 4,321,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deacongirl View Post
How should women act?
WikiHow - How to Be a Proper Young Lady

Old 10-25-2013, 10:24 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,217,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
What does the hair and skincare tips in this article have to do with parenting skills?

Old 10-25-2013, 10:28 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,856,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Those comments sound pretty racist to me. What does racism mean to you? A person actually saying the N-word? A black person being lynched? This isn't the 1950s anymore. Racism can be very subtle.

Here's a definition of racism incase you don't fully understand from the Merriam-Webster Dictionary.

I mean, I remember one politician called Obama a 'tar baby' and it made news before he apologized.
Doug Lamborn Apologizes To Obama For 'Tar Baby' Comments

If that's not direct to you, then I don't know what is. You can just stay in your delusional little world where racism doesn't exist anymore because it's 2013.
Pat yourself on the back,you drug me back into the conversation when I had intended to stay out. But ignorance must be confronted! The cyber world needs to be set straight!

Do you even read the links you post? Perfect example of what I am trying to convey here. Have you ever read Joel Chandler Harris? Have you been to Wren's Nest in West End? Do you not understand that the Uncle Remus stories are collections of African American folk wisdom brought to America by the slaves? Do you not know the story of Tar Baby from these stories and what it means? All the characters in the Uncle Remus stories personify African Americans, the Tar Baby was not a 'black' person in a white narrative. To argue with Tar Baby was to get embroiled in a controversy you cannot win and you are stuck... as the politician in the link you provided says, a quagmire.

In fact me responding to you is a perfect example of a Tar Baby argument.

I heard this term all my life and understood where it came from and what it meant. It has NOTHING to do with race. But here, a perfect point to prove my argument, that the PC crowd and the media looking for racism when none was there. Demonized this man as if he were making a racial slur when none was intended because they do not understand the term because they do not understand the history of what it means.

Of course I realize racism still exists. You do not know me, but I am pretty transparent in my posts here. If you did, you would see that I am a champion of racial reconciliation whenever there is an opportunity for such. To take political banter (that happens all the time in politics) and then spin it as racism when none existed does nothing to help the reconciliation, just puts it further afield to coming to pass in my lifetime.

Old 10-25-2013, 10:35 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,132,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Pat yourself on the back,you drug me back into the conversation when I had intended to stay out. But ignorance must be confronted! The cyber world needs to be set straight!

Do you even read the links you post? Perfect example of what I am trying to convey here. Have you ever read Joel Chandler Harris? Have you been to Wren's Nest in West End? Do you not understand that the Uncle Remus stories are collections of African American folk wisdom brought to America by the slaves? Do you not know the story of Tar Baby from these stories and what it means? All the characters in the Uncle Remus stories personify African Americans, the Tar Baby was not a 'black' person in a white narrative. To argue with Tar Baby was to get embroiled in a controversy you cannot win and you are stuck... as the politician in the link you provided says, a quagmire.

In fact me responding to you is a perfect example of a Tar Baby argument.

I heard this term all my life and understood where it came from and what it meant. It has NOTHING to do with race. But here, a perfect point to prove my argument, that the PC crowd and the media looking for racism when none was there. Demonized this man as if he were making a racial slur when none was intended because they do not understand the term because they do not understand the history of what it means.

Of course I realize racism still exists. You do not know me, but I am pretty transparent in my posts here. If you did, you would see that I am a champion of racial reconciliation whenever there is an opportunity for such. To take political banter (that happens all the time in politics) and then spin it as racism when none existed does nothing to help the reconciliation, just puts it further afield to coming to pass in my lifetime.
It does have to do with race. On Wikipedia, it was under a list of derogatory words used to describe black people. The point is, it's pointing out someone's race for an unnecessary reason. There's zero reason to call Obama a tar-baby and he wouldn't have apologized if it wasn't a derogatory name. Do you hear yourself? You're speaking with zero logic.

I agree that people do use the race card a lot and that there is a lot of political correctness in this country, but some of the comments politicians have made towards Obama, many being republican are uncalled for and unnecessary. The tar'baby comment happened to be one of them. I guess you're just going to deny every link I send you as racist and just call it black people using the race card or liberals being PC. I guess that's an easy way out of racism.

Old 10-25-2013, 10:43 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Why "Tar Baby" Is Such a Sticky Phrase - TIME

Old 10-25-2013, 10:53 AM

73,004 posts, read 62,578,805 times
Quote:
I think a lot of the issues within the black community stem from not having a father (or father-figure) and being raised by women who don't know how to act like women.

In the 1940s, 19% of black children were born out of wedlock.
In 1965 (Civil Rights era), 25% of black children were born out of wedlock.
In 1991, 68% of black children were born out of wedlock.
In 2011, 72% of black children are born out of wedlock.
That is a part of it. I've also noticed another irony. This is not meant to be an endorsement or argument against. This is just an irony. Black children get exposed to more corporal punishment than anyone else, and somehow, there are higher rates of violent crime within the Black community. As to why this is, there is something to be researched.

I also believe that violence has alot to do with mentality.

Old 10-25-2013, 11:02 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,856,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Oh, I don't doubt that many have decided it is a racist phrase now. But it wasn't in the past. Any mention of Uncle Remus is suspect these days even though it is a treasure of African folklore, as wise as Aesop's fables. But the current revisionist ideal wants to erase EVERYTHING associated with the scourge of slavery, even those things that are treasures found within that overall evil. Throwing the tar baby out with the bathwater for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta