Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 09:34 PM

1,151 posts, read 1,309,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Cherry picking. Huffington Post? Really? This is the best you can bring?
Georgian White...sounds like a good color for my living room.
Don't like Huffpost?

Black teen sues over arrest after buying $350 designer belt - U.S. News

Teen Cuffed, Put in Cell After $350 Barneys Purchase: It's Because I'm a Young Black Man | NBC New York

Black College Student Arrested For Buying A Designer Belt, Barneys & NYPD Slapped With Lawsuit (UPDATE)

Barneys busted student for ‘shopping while black’ | New York Post

I doubt anything I post will convince you we still live in a racist society and you will go on thinking it is all liberal lie. Luckily, most people know better.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:45 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
You're trying to compare these stories to the Trayvon Martin case in terms of media coverage? Now thats sad.
Changing the goalposts in the middle of the discussion, eh? Let me post your own words for you:
Quote:
Not to worry. Black on white crime is of absolutely no interest to the national media.
Just in case you didn't know, a story doesn't have to be as high profile as the TM/GZ situation to be of "interest to the national media." And again, I posted stories in which Blacks were killed by Whites which also weren't as big as the TM story.

For the third time, you've been proven wrong according to your initial statement.

Old 10-23-2013, 11:44 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,872,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Whether or not the killer will be punished is a moot point. She'll go under the prison. What will worry me is some people turning this into "see, this is what happens when Black people live near you".
people who believe that will turn anything into "proof". it's called confirmation bias. even if not a single black person murdered anyone for a whole year, it would somehow be proof that black people are responsible for the murders before or some BS. you can't convince people like that.

Old 10-24-2013, 12:20 AM

73,005 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
people who believe that will turn anything into "proof". it's called confirmation bias. even if not a single black person murdered anyone for a whole year, it would somehow be proof that black people are responsible for the murders before or some BS. you can't convince people like that.
Sadly, there are those whose minds are made up, and will look for any kind of confirmation bias. It is those persons who scream the loudest, the ones who depend on confirmation bias.

I stepped away because this was turning into a monster. I was hoping to get more productive dialogue besides race baiting. I should have known better.

Old 10-24-2013, 01:25 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,099,557 times
In North Carolina, a 16 year old black girl named Jasmine Thar was shot and killed by a white guy who claimed it was an accident. To my knowledge, he was never charged. This WHITE ON BLACK killing never made major headlines or caught a big buzz nationally.
Questions remain in Charlotte teenager

In Houston, a black woman shot and killed a white man as he approached her car during a "road rage" incident, claiming she feared for her life. This BLACK ON WHITE killing never made major headlines or caught a big buzz nationally.
Woman who claimed self defense in 'road rage' shooting charged with murder | khou.com Houston

This shows there are obviously other reasons besides race that factor into why stories do or do not gain national attention. People from BOTH SIDES really expose themselves and how they truly feel when they start with the "this was/wasn't a big national hot topic and only happened/wouldn't have happened if this person was black/white" stuff.

It's funny because when both of those incidents were discussed, you had people on both sides claiming how much "national attention" the stories would have received if the races were reversed. The fact that neither of them received much attention disproves that though. It just gives people an excuse in their attempt to justify their "feelings" about those who don't look like them.

Last edited by Southern Soul Bro; 10-24-2013 at 01:34 AM..

Old 10-24-2013, 05:15 AM

1,050 posts, read 1,690,895 times
The whole Trayvon Martin case was sensationalized by the media to play up racism. There is a reason a certain kind of person in the media(typically white and liberal, it is the truth) drums up racism. MSNBC accuse people of racism if they do not agree with the President. Sorry but sometimes it is nothing racial and all political.

Look at how the media hid the stepmother who RAISED Trayvon. Did you notice he did not have behavioral issues until being put back into the care of Ms. Fulton(who apparently sent him to live with another family member). This stuff was left out because it did not play into the media's narrative of a typical family. They did not want everybody to know the father had another failed marriage after Ms. Fulton. I guess without a stepmom around Mr. Martin did not want Trayvon in his custody. Anybody familiar with the child support system knows what that was about.

Old 10-24-2013, 06:02 AM

23,460 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Changing the goalposts in the middle of the discussion, eh? Let me post your own words for you:
Just in case you didn't know, a story doesn't have to be as high profile as the TM/GZ situation to be of "interest to the national media." And again, I posted stories in which Blacks were killed by Whites which also weren't as big as the TM story.

For the third time, you've been proven wrong according to your initial statement.
I dont see where anything has been proven. Anyone that follows the news cycle of the national media knows there is credence in what I say. It's not just white on black crime; its white on anything crime. The white man that shot an Asian boy on Halloween in Louisiana. The Utah doctor accused of murdering his wife. These are the stories that draw prolonged media attention.
The media even coined the term 'White Hispanic' to describe George Zimmerman; I infer that was done to underscore the sensational nature of the case.
I know we've gone somewhat OT here. My apologies.

Old 10-24-2013, 06:05 AM

23,460 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Where did I say I dont believe that? I also understand that it cuts many ways.

Old 10-24-2013, 09:24 AM

1,259 posts, read 2,257,658 times
Quote:
I dont see where anything has been proven. Anyone that follows the news cycle of the national media knows there is credence in what I say. It's not just white on black crime; its white on anything crime. The white man that shot an Asian boy on Halloween in Louisiana. The Utah doctor accused of murdering his wife. These are the stories that draw prolonged media attention.
The media even coined the term 'White Hispanic' to describe George Zimmerman; I infer that was done to underscore the sensational nature of the case.
I know we've gone somewhat OT here. My apologies.
Um white people control the media, so why don't you take it up with them. The last time I checked nearly 99% of TV stations have a white CEO and probably a bunch of other white people at the top. Maybe you should start a letter writing campaign if it bothers you that much.

Old 10-24-2013, 09:37 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,994,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Had it been the other way around, it would have been a major national story with protests, federal investigations and hearings, and weeks of media coveage.
Why would there need to be protests, federal investigations, and weeks of media coverage in this case? The murderer was promptly arrested and is awaiting trial. In other words, justice so far has been served. You don't need protests or media coverage when the system actually works the way it supposed to. SMH

Last edited by waronxmas; 10-24-2013 at 11:06 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta