Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2013, 12:17 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,918,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
i don't think ant is saying we should raze it all (if so i have greatly underestimated his potential for sherman-ism).

it is true that in general single family home dominated neighbourhoods, there is nothing for people to do, whereas denser development can provide mixed uses and more street activity.

now, obviously, there are exceptions to this rule. obviously, the word "apartment" for many conjurs up mixed emotions, seeing as how apartments were built in the 60s through the early 2000s— as single use, project-style apartments that were accessible only by car, meaning only those that were poor would want to live in an apartment. so in that case, denser doesn't equal better street life.

the other exception is found in many atlanta neighbourhoods, such as virginia-highland, old fourth ward, and many neighbourhoods that have not seen restoration yet, such as pittsburgh and english avenue— and that is the omnipresence of retail on street corners, much of it in a very unique atlanta style that is somewhere between art deco and spanish revival:

these retail areas are found at regular frequencies throughout the older single-family neighbourhoods in atlanta, especially those dating from the 1900-1940 period. what makes this unique is that it allows for the existance of single-family homes while maintaining a walkable community and an urban fabric.
Atlanta's many historic residential "villages" and their accompanying retail nodes are indeed the most charming thing about the city. Many people miss it just passing through, unfortunately. You almost have to know somebody who lives here if you want to see the best Atlanta has to offer. But then, that's the way it it in most cities.

Old 11-06-2013, 05:57 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,872,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Atlanta's many historic residential "villages" and their accompanying retail nodes are indeed the most charming thing about the city. Many people miss it just passing through, unfortunately. You almost have to know somebody who lives here if you want to see the best Atlanta has to offer. But then, that's the way it it in most cities.
i feel like it's the only generally "complete" thing about our city. our urban core is not built out yet and can be disappointing. our historic neighbourhoods with retail nodes are pretty characteristic and are nice. i only wish we could build on that idea of single-family homes with walkability in the historic neighbourhoods that are redeveloping, such as vine city. many of those empty lots could be used to house retail, restaurants, apartments, etc. rather than just more homes.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:59 AM

5,242 posts, read 6,237,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
This happens almost everytime I talk to someone who visits the city. You can't really blame them, why would they know these insignificant looking areas on the map have so much going on!

Old 11-06-2013, 08:59 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
here's us by comparison:

i mean i think we beat houston pretty clearly, but yeah, we've got a LONG way to go before we look like chicago.
I personally don't see much difference between that pic and Houston's pic. They both have a long way to go. I have no problem with sfh being just outside downtown. DC gets away with it thought they are rowhomes.

Old 11-07-2013, 05:26 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,335,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
I've found Texan to be basically a division of southern. I definitely agree that there are those who say their Texan for whatever reason (I imagine Texas pride is a huge one). Still haven't been able to tell the difference between Texas country music and Nashville country but people assure me there is one and that Texas is better. Driving through small towns in east Texas you feel like you're anywhere in the south. Really isn't a big difference. More trucks perhaps.

One of the biggest differences I've noticed is that my fellow students from suburbs of the major Texas cities all seem to be much more "Texan/country" than in Atlanta suburbs.

Also the influence of Mexican culture is huge in Texas. Especially for border areas like near Brownsville. Many non-hispanics are familiar with the food and language just from the mix of people. Grocery stores would go out of business if they didn't include Mexican food products.
How is this, exactly? Most folks raised in places like The Woodlands, Sugar Land, Plano, or Frisco hardly have accents, much less any other characteristics that they're from the South or Texas, unless they're wearing a Texas A&M hoodie. Hell, last I checked, SL had as many mosques as it did Baptist churches.

Also, most Texas grocery stores I've been in have like 1/4 of an aisle dedicated to Mexican food products, so it's unlikely that any chain would go out of business for lacking them. Now, if they stopped selling Blue Bell ice cream...

Old 11-08-2013, 12:18 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,857,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
How is this, exactly? Most folks raised in places like The Woodlands, Sugar Land, Plano, or Frisco hardly have accents, much less any other characteristics that they're from the South or Texas, unless they're wearing a Texas A&M hoodie. Hell, last I checked, SL had as many mosques as it did Baptist churches.

Also, most Texas grocery stores I've been in have like 1/4 of an aisle dedicated to Mexican food products, so it's unlikely that any chain would go out of business for lacking them. Now, if they stopped selling Blue Bell ice cream...
These Collin County youths are much more inclined to listen to country music and like pickups and hunting moreso than ones in Cobb County Gerogia, from my direct experience.

Old 11-08-2013, 06:23 AM

23,464 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
These Collin County youths are much more inclined to listen to country music and like pickups and hunting moreso than ones in Cobb County Gerogia, from my direct experience.
You may be surprised. My nephews all graduated from Harrison High in Kennesaw. There was very much a G.O.B. culture in the school. All the boys drove pickup trucks, hunted on the weekends, loved Country...as did their friends.

Old 11-08-2013, 07:56 AM

329 posts, read 431,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
LOL, Both are disappointments in those pics. Houston looks like a bigger Charlotte. Parts of Chicago are very open.
I was actually shocked to see the city of Chicago has 78 acre open farm! I didn't think in city that size with 3 million+ residents that you would find even an acre of green space but they have it!
Chicago High School for Agricultural Sciences

Old 11-08-2013, 10:16 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,857,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
You may be surprised. My nephews all graduated from Harrison High in Kennesaw. There was very much a G.O.B. culture in the school. All the boys drove pickup trucks, hunted on the weekends, loved Country...as did their friends.
I guess this is a trend then, have been away from Cobb ten years now. Didn't see it much then, thought it might be more of a Texas thing. I was blaming Texas for my two youngest preferring country music.

You are taking away one of my anti-Texas-I-want-to-move-back-to-GA arguments!

Old 11-08-2013, 11:43 AM

5,242 posts, read 6,237,327 times
There is always a group of kids into hunting, trucks and country music.

Its certainly not the majority of kids in metro high schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta